Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I bought a used GR last year. I ’m looking at either pre-ordered the new Theta and semi hard case or the 11-18. The GRIII is down the list. GR, KP and K-1 are plenty for my needs.

All of course dependent on the results of selling some excess gear in coming weeks and months.
Change of plans. I‘m reducing my film gear significantly and oddball digitals. When complete I’ll get the GRlll and have only three digital cams.

03-07-2019, 12:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Change of plans. I‘m reducing my film gear significantly and oddball digitals. When complete I’ll get the GRlll and have only three digital cams.
Do you have a smart phone?
03-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
Death89

I've always wanted a GR, but held off buying one second hand because of the dust ingress reports. With dust removal built in the only barrier to me now is the price. Hopefully the lens performs at least as well as the past two!
03-07-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have three multi-function personal devices. I don’t consider them cameras. I consider them scanner / data recorders because I only use the camera to take pictures of things I want to remember, like white boards.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-09-2019 at 12:09 PM.
03-08-2019, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
The GRII allows a user to control all aspects of the exposure triangle + exposure with just the thumb and index finger. The new layout appears to have retained some of that, but it doesn't look as intuitive.
Just a matter of getting used to? I've had similar gripes with the change in control layout between the K-7/5 and the K-3 feeling less intuitive, but I have gotten used to it and now I find the older layout cumbersome instead...

The new sensor will likely churn out a bit more detail, however with it being an equiv. 28mm, I don't see how 16mp was 'dated' and 24mp is 'better'.
Well, since the GR III offers 35mm (15MP) and 50mm (7MP) equiv crop modes, 24MP will certainly help there in getting acceptable resolution. Especially for the 35mm mode, because at 7MP the 50mm mode seems a bit limited still...

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 03-10-2019 at 04:29 AM.
03-08-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The new layout appears to have retained some of that, but it doesn't look as intuitive.
There is nothing 'intuitive' about any control layout of any device. There is only what you are accustomed to. Nothing in human instinct can inform us of how to use a piece of tech.

There is nothing intuitive about 3 pedals and a wheel, if you're used to riding horses. If the pedals had always been in a different order, then the current order would be unusable to those unwilling to adapt. I've never seen two microwaves or TV remotes with the buttons all in the same place but somehow we manage to get used to it and lay our fingers on the correct button.

Control layout is the very least of what concerns me about a new camera. What it is capable of achieving when I'm accustomed to the layout is most important.
03-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
There is nothing 'intuitive' about any control layout of any device. There is only what you are accustomed to. Nothing in human instinct can inform us of how to use a piece of tech.

There is nothing intuitive about 3 pedals and a wheel, if you're used to riding horses. If the pedals had always been in a different order, then the current order would be unusable to those unwilling to adapt. I've never seen two microwaves or TV remotes with the buttons all in the same place but somehow we manage to get used to it and lay our fingers on the correct button.

Control layout is the very least of what concerns me about a new camera. What it is capable of achieving when I'm accustomed to the layout is most important.

What does TV remotes and microwaves have to do with an individual's preference on controlling a camera?

One hand operation is important for me, hence why I like Pentax, Ricoh GRII, and Nikon. It's also why I tend to avoid Fuji as I don't like to have a camera that requires two hands to control all of the aspects of the camera.

If it's a non-issue for you, fantastic.

It's the main reason why it does not appeal to me and why the current GRII was and is a fantastic camera.

03-09-2019, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not a good sign for me that I keep checking in on this thread. The GR III is really tempting, even though the angle of view is on the wide side for me; were I to buy this I suspect I'd use the 35mm crop mode by default. Also considering the older models. It's remarkable how well the GR and GR II have held value.
03-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
It's not a good sign for me that I keep checking in on this thread. The GR III is really tempting, even though the angle of view is on the wide side for me; were I to buy this I suspect I'd use the 35mm crop mode by default. Also considering the older models. It's remarkable how well the GR and GR II have held value.
My GRII will be for sale in a couple of weeks...
03-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reposting my thoughts here:

I had hopes for the GRIII, but the following layout changes were deal-breakers:
- +/- control removed
- 'exposure comp' moved to the ISO Adjust toggle
- ISO moved to 4 way

The GRII allows a user to control all aspects of the exposure triangle + exposure with just the thumb and index finger. The new layout appears to have retained some of that, but it doesn't look as intuitive.

The new sensor will likely churn out a bit more detail, however with it being an equiv. 28mm, I don't see how 16mp was 'dated' and 24mp is 'better'. In body stabilization is neat, but was more of a gripe in movie mode...who uses the GR for video?!?

Some nice tweaks:
- improved AF (although the GRII was still leaps and bounds snappier than the Fuji X100 S/T)
- less minimum focal distance
- I think the lens itself is also improved slightly (maybe just some coatings...)
The loss of the toggle had me scratching my head a bit, but if I'm honest it took me quite some time a decade ago to become used to that particular control (the toggle specifically) and I'm not terribly worried about usability given their track record. The d-pad was rather under-used in terms of shooting operation before. At first, the GR series wasn't that intuitive to me - I had to come to understand it and then after a while I understood why it was the way it was; I'm hoping this new will be a similar experience. It seems that ISO adjustment is still as many depresses away as it was, and exp comp has just been moved. I really didn't change ISO values and others using the exp-toggle in the past - the d-pad always felt more natural and balanced so I did it that way and I'm guessing this won't feel much different. At any rate the added control dial replacing the toggle retains the same amount of external control as far as I can see.

I'll enjoy the new sensor for using the crop modes with better res. I do like to punch in to 47mm fairly regularly. IBIS was never a concern for me with these tiny things at 28mm (or 21 especially) but I do think it's impressive they've made it work while reducing the size back to GRD form factor at the same time. I'll take it.
For me its all about the re-addition of phase-detection. I've been pining for it since 2013.

---------- Post added 03-09-19 at 11:12 AM ----------

This is the road I took. Though I took the inadvisable shortcut of ordering and then determining what I was going to sell to fund it after the fact.

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The older ones are awesome and still capable. I've got someone coming to see my GRDIV today... honestly I'm sorry to let it go potentially.
03-18-2019, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Just had word from my B&M store that my GR III has arrived. Don't know when I'll be able to go and collect it though. Saturday at the latest, perhaps earlier if I can put in a half a day of home working this week (or leave early once)... So close...

Wim
03-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Mine has been dispatched. It should be in my hands tomorrow. Coincidentally I have 2 days off work starting tomorrow. Happy days!
03-18-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Just had word from my B&M store that my GR III has arrived. Don't know when I'll be able to go and collect it though. Saturday at the latest, perhaps earlier if I can put in a half a day of home working this week (or leave early once)... So close...
Well, here's to character and patience... Literally 2 hours after writing the above, I couldn't wait any longer and decided to leave early to make it to the shop in time to go get my GR III. Well, I've got it now. Played around with it a bit, spent some time setting up the camera to my initial preferences and now its battery is loading.

Unfortunately, there's no charger in the box (it's optional) so the only way to load the battery is in-camera through the USB-C. I'll have to get that charger, so I can charge a spare battery while out shooting. Essential to me...

Well, it's late and dark now (it was when I took the first murky indoor shots), so I'll see tomorrow how the camera performs in good light (if I get the chance during working hours, need to keep the boss happy as well :-D ).

So far, I like it a lot how the camera feels and how it handles.

Wim
03-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have three multi-function personal devices. I don’t consider them cameras. I consider them scanner / data recorders because I only use the camera to take pictures of things I want to remember, like white boards.
I asked only because I wondered what you were counting, Excluding my smart phone, I have three digital cameras right now. {see signature photo}. That is plenty.
03-18-2019, 10:55 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm now OFF the pre-order train, as my GRiii arrived yesterday

I've never had any of its predecessors, so it's all new. So far I'd say it feels good, and the menu system is great.