03-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #16

Maybe "systemctl"...

03-15-2019, 04:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
"init" true?
About a year ago a Pentaxforums member was deeply offended by Debian taking up with Systemd, which perplexed me. Several years ago I wrote a simple service to run a programmable LCD display in LInux and I still remember wrestling with getting my daemon script in the right runlevel syslinks in the right locations, just so the damn program would run on startup.
03-15-2019, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #18

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
About a year ago a Pentaxforums member was deeply offended by Debian taking up with Systemd, which perplexed me. Several years ago I wrote a simple service to run a programmable LCD display in LInux and I still remember wrestling with getting my daemon script in the right runlevel syslinks in the right locations, just so the damn program would run on startup.
I guess some of the arguments are about it being non-"Linuxy" in building everything together in one blob where dependencies and feature creep make it more insecure, less predictable, easy for bugs to slip in etc...but in truth I guess a lot of the situation comes from a, well, lets say alternative facts-kind of behavior/prioritization/responses from the "product management" when bugs or security issues have been found. (And the Linux community is used to dealing with Torvalds so that's saying a bit...but in a different way so and I guess I agree that it's better to make a big scene over minor issues like Torvalds sometimes did, rather than silencing more serious ones)
03-15-2019, 09:21 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure the affected person has moved on to Devuan by now.

Last edited by jbinpg; 03-15-2019 at 09:31 PM.