Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #31

Hello everybody,

I will try to answer all your questions.

I am a Ricoh camera user since the GX 200

I was affected by dust disease on the GR and I was hoping that Ricoh would be more attentive to the built quality for the GR III

I know it's grease and not dust because I've already had this problem with a Canon a long time ago and in addition the GR III has an ultrasonic vibrations dust system remover.

My camera is also affected by the wobbly control dial problem and and I also lost the lens ring that was too loose……my serial number is part of the numbers provided by Ricoh for this problem
Ricoh has a real problem of built quality on this model

My dealer is someone honest I've known for a long time, it is "Photo Bug" in Chiang Mai Thailand, so it is not a demonstration camera.

I returned the camera last week and he sent it to Ricoh Bangkok and I do not know what will happen now.

It's me who opened a thread on DpReview under the name of Opal75, and another member named HEXE has the same problem as me, for now we are only two.

04-29-2019, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opal Quote
Hello everybody,

I was affected by dust disease on the GR and I was hoping that Ricoh would be more attentive to the built quality for the GR III

I know it's grease and not dust because I've already had this problem with a Canon a long time ago and in addition the GR III has an ultrasonic vibrations dust system remover.

My camera is also affected by the wobbly control dial problem and and I also lost the lens ring that was too loose……my serial number is part of the numbers provided by Ricoh for this problem

My dealer is someone honest I've known for a long time, it is "Photo Bug" in Chiang Mai Thailand, so it is not a demonstration camera.

I returned the camera last week and he sent it to Ricoh Bangkok and I do not know what will happen now.

It's me who opened a thread on DpReview under the name of Opal75, and another member named HEXE has the same problem as me, for now we are only two.
I appreciate your input and sympathize that you've had a struggle with your GRIII, but let's not get into doubling-up/copying or cross-posting here on the forum. Just an FYI. Linking to the thread you created on the topic here in this thread is great, but double-posting makes things a little chaotic and hard to follow by my estimation.
04-29-2019, 02:25 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opal Quote
Hello everybody,

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I appreciate your input and sympathize that you've had a struggle with your GRIII, but let's not get into doubling-up/copying or cross-posting here on the forum. Just an FYI. Linking to the thread you created on the topic here in this thread is great, but double-posting makes things a little chaotic and hard to follow by my estimation.
Absolutely, and thanks @chickentender for assisting our new and welcome member.

@opal has posted of his unfortunate experience here: Grease stains on my new GR III sensor - PentaxForums.com

Any discussions relating to opal's post should continue in his dedicated thread. Thanks in advance, folks
04-30-2019, 03:06 AM   #34

Apologize.... it is a mistake I confused the two threads...

07-11-2019, 08:15 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
About a week or so ago, I put my GR Adapter accessory on my GR ll camera body. Quite easy to d, remove the ring around the lens and click in the Adapter. The Adaptor is set up for the Ricoh GR accessory hood, which I don't use.

I then put on a new B & W 49 mm clear filter onto the Adaptor, which has threads in the front to accommodate filter attachment. I didn't want to leave the Adaptor and filter uncovered without a lens cap. I tried a few 49 mm caps...the newer ones with the tension hold, but they didn't work.

My association with Pentax equipment goes back to 1968...the old M43 screw mount days and I fortunately had a spare metal 49mm lens cap with Ashai Pentax on the front of the cap.

Nt hope is with these efforts that the likliehood of dust getting to the sensor will be less. I can see the GR lens moving in and out quite nicely...under the cover of the Adapter and the B & W filter. Looks all nicely enclosed. Image quality which is very good with this little gem of a camera...seems to be unaffected by the filter...with my unscientific tests.

The surprise is, that I can still fit the camera body with the increased width, due to the addition of the Adapter....snugly into the small Vanguard belt case I bought for carrying my GR ll around. I've never used a pocket for carrying it.

On top of that it looks very good with the Adapter and that vintage metal Ashai Pentax lens cap. I'm sure there will be queries along the line of...what is that camera ?

BTW, I've had the GR ll for a couple of months now and I'm very much enjoying it. Quality photos from a big sensor in a small robust body. That fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens is also quality, like the rest of the camera. My GR ll was new, old stock and I realize the original intro of this camera goes back to 2013...so it's not pushing the technology envelope...but boy do I like how this thing works from the easy menu, the external buttons, the look, the speed. No matter the age of the design...this thing is still a wonderful little piece of kit...as the Brits would say.

All that remains is for me, is to utter...'touch wood'...and hope all continues well and no dust shows up. So far, so good.

I still have my Canon G 12...with a similar in and out fixed lens design that can also suck in dust and I've had that since 2011 and still no dust on that sensor.

Les
07-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
About a week or so ago, I put my GR Adapter accessory on my GR ll camera body. Quite easy to d, remove the ring around the lens and click in the Adapter. The Adaptor is set up for the Ricoh GR accessory hood, which I don't use.

I then put on a new B & W 49 mm clear filter onto the Adaptor, which has threads in the front to accommodate filter attachment. I didn't want to leave the Adaptor and filter uncovered without a lens cap. I tried a few 49 mm caps...the newer ones with the tension hold, but they didn't work.

My association with Pentax equipment goes back to 1968...the old M43 screw mount days and I fortunately had a spare metal 49mm lens cap with Ashai Pentax on the front of the cap.

Nt hope is with these efforts that the likliehood of dust getting to the sensor will be less. I can see the GR lens moving in and out quite nicely...under the cover of the Adapter and the B & W filter. Looks all nicely enclosed. Image quality which is very good with this little gem of a camera...seems to be unaffected by the filter...with my unscientific tests.

The surprise is, that I can still fit the camera body with the increased width, due to the addition of the Adapter....snugly into the small Vanguard belt case I bought for carrying my GR ll around. I've never used a pocket for carrying it.

On top of that it looks very good with the Adapter and that vintage metal Ashai Pentax lens cap. I'm sure there will be queries along the line of...what is that camera ?

BTW, I've had the GR ll for a couple of months now and I'm very much enjoying it. Quality photos from a big sensor in a small robust body. That fixed 28mm F 2.8 lens is also quality, like the rest of the camera. My GR ll was new, old stock and I realize the original intro of this camera goes back to 2013...so it's not pushing the technology envelope...but boy do I like how this thing works from the easy menu, the external buttons, the look, the speed. No matter the age of the design...this thing is still a wonderful little piece of kit...as the Brits would say.

All that remains is for me, is to utter...'touch wood'...and hope all continues well and no dust shows up. So far, so good.

I still have my Canon G 12...with a similar in and out fixed lens design that can also suck in dust and I've had that since 2011 and still no dust on that sensor.

Les
This is just how I had my GR setup for many years. Alternatively I used DA 40mm Limited hood which worked a charm as well. (I understand the DA21 Limited hood works as well).
I've yet to buy any accessories for the GRIII however. Not sure if the old 40mm hood will work with the new lens. Curious if anyone else has tried it. (On my GR there was *very* slight vignetting (extremely slight) when used wide-open, but other than that it was fine.)
Nice work!
07-13-2019, 03:22 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is just how I had my GR setup for many years. Alternatively I used DA 40mm Limited hood which worked a charm as well. (I understand the DA21 Limited hood works as well).
I've yet to buy any accessories for the GRIII however. Not sure if the old 40mm hood will work with the new lens. Curious if anyone else has tried it. (On my GR there was *very* slight vignetting (extremely slight) when used wide-open, but other than that it was fine.)
Nice work!
Great to hear that you've done the same with the attachment accessory and filter. I have both 21 and 40 Limited lenses and I'll have to put the hoods on the it as you did. Thx for mentioning it, I wouldn't of known otherwise.

In your experience did you find that putting on the Ricoh Attachment with a filter, kept the dust off the sensor ?

Les
07-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great to hear that you've done the same with the attachment accessory and filter. I have both 21 and 40 Limited lenses and I'll have to put the hoods on the it as you did. Thx for mentioning it, I wouldn't of known otherwise.

In your experience did you find that putting on the Ricoh Attachment with a filter, kept the dust off the sensor ?

Les
I'm one those GR owners that's never experienced dust on the sensor so I can't say one way or other really. It certainly cant' hurt. But I'd say I've only had the filter/attachment combo on there only 10% of the time at best. Usually it's had the 40mm-hood with cap, or before that the 43mm Limited hood with cap (which also works very well tho slightly larger). I keep it in a sunglass pouch or case, but I wouldn't say I've babied it or been extremely careful. I'd say I'm lucky but I'm sure there are plenty of other owners who've never had dust either, you just don't hear from them since there's nothing to report. I've read a couple of dust report for the GRIII, but the sensor-cleaning action has usually solved it. Nice to have that around with this iteration, that's for sure.

07-13-2019, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm one those GR owners that's never experienced dust on the sensor so I can't say one way or other really. It certainly cant' hurt. But I'd say I've only had the filter/attachment combo on there only 10% of the time at best. Usually it's had the 40mm-hood with cap, or before that the 43mm Limited hood with cap (which also works very well tho slightly larger). I keep it in a sunglass pouch or case, but I wouldn't say I've babied it or been extremely careful. I'd say I'm lucky but I'm sure there are plenty of other owners who've never had dust either, you just don't hear from them since there's nothing to report. I've read a couple of dust report for the GRIII, but the sensor-cleaning action has usually solved it. Nice to have that around with this iteration, that's for sure.
I think you're right and thanks for providing the benefit of your experience. Much appreciated.

Les
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Had one from launch (although the first one was a wobbly-dial sufferer and got exchanged within a couple of weeks) - so far no dust. Mine spends probably half its time in a camera case, half its time in my pocket. I do a lot of photography on my local beach too. I don't take any special measures to protect it...as far as I'm concerned it is there to be used, not coddled.
5 Days Ago   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Had one from launch (although the first one was a wobbly-dial sufferer and got exchanged within a couple of weeks) - so far no dust. Mine spends probably half its time in a camera case, half its time in my pocket. I do a lot of photography on my local beach too. I don't take any special measures to protect it...as far as I'm concerned it is there to be used, not coddled.
Oh i use it. I don't coddle it either, nor do I use it as a blunt instrument. I'm somewhere in between in that range.

I do keep it in a small camera bag when I'm not using it and it does go a lot of places with me, ready for action...photo action.