Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 08:57 AM   #46

Thanks. In the video, there is nothing about dust, or did I miss something?!

08-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #47

Hello.

In some german forums, I noticed some posts about the appearance of dust in the GR III in the last months. In all the cases, the "dust removal" didn't the job to shake if off the sensor.
The GR III had to be returned to ricoh for cleaning.

Did anyone here with a GR III does or did have the same problems till now?

Regards
10-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
Hey, I've had my GR III since the US launch, and I did have to send it in for cleaning once - or rather, I sent it before my warranty expired in order to get rid of some dust specks. The III can still get some stubborn spots that don't seem to be removed by using the dust reduction system, no matter how many times you activate it. It seems to attract fewer of these stubborn spots than the GR II did, however, but I think a lot comes down to individual sample variation at times, or just pure luck.
10-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #49
gbl

QuoteOriginally posted by lunarwitch Quote
Hello.

In some german forums, I noticed some posts about the appearance of dust in the GR III in the last months. In all the cases, the "dust removal" didn't the job to shake if off the sensor.
The GR III had to be returned to ricoh for cleaning.

Did anyone here with a GR III does or did have the same problems till now?

Regards
It almost seems some people want it to happen. They ask and ask until they find somebody it happened to. That's why I don't really see the point of those questions. If you have dust on your camera's sensor - no matter which one - you have to deal with it. Either ignore it, fix the images in post, send it in or clean it yourself. What does it matter if others had or have dust on the sensor? You have to deal with YOURs.

If you base a buying decision on reports of others regarding dust on a sensor, I guarantee you that you base your decision on the wrong criteria.
Every camera can get dust on the sensor. I had dust in a Sony RX0 which is supposed to be water and dustproof. The particle was so big, I had to send it in. It was bad luck, that's all.

I think of dust on a sensor like I have a flat on a car. If it happens I will deal with it.

10-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #50

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
It almost seems some people want it to happen. They ask and ask until they find somebody it happened to. That's why I don't really see the point of those questions. If you have dust on your camera's sensor - no matter which one - you have to deal with it. Either ignore it, fix the images in post, send it in or clean it yourself. What does it matter if others had or have dust on the sensor? You have to deal with YOURs.

If you base a buying decision on reports of others regarding dust on a sensor, I guarantee you that you base your decision on the wrong criteria.
Every camera can get dust on the sensor. I had dust in a Sony RX0 which is supposed to be water and dustproof. The particle was so big, I had to send it in. It was bad luck, that's all.

I think of dust on a sensor like I have a flat on a car. If it happens I will deal with it.
Here's the problem: GR cameras often develop a dust problem even if you handle and store them carefully. It's not a non-issue. You might get lucky, or you might not. Probably expect to get a sensor cleaning at some point, if not more than one. I've driven cars continually and in the last few years I've had dusty GR sensors and no flat tires.