Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Does the new Ricoh GR lll get dust on the sensor ?

The Ricoh GR camera has always had a strong appeal for me. One thing held me back from buying it, is the fact that dust seems to get onto the sensor of previous models of the GR line.

I'm still interested and please don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting to put a damper on the introduction of the new Ricoh GR lll, but so far...even though it's very early in the lll's life...is getting dust on the sensor still an issue, still something that has happened ? Does anyone know if this issue, has has been successfully addressed by Ricoh ?

03-16-2019, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Any fixed lens camera is at risk from dust on the sensor or sensor cover... Even the really expensive ones Unlike previous models, the GRIII benefits from in-camera sensor cleaning "using ultrasonic vibrations" (like the K-3), so even if dust gets on the sensor, most of the time it should be removed using this. But it's still possible you might one day get a spec or two that won't budge, and need to send the camera in for service. Such is the risk with all fixed lens cameras...
03-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I saw that many of the previous gr users talk about how they put the camera with no cover in a pocket, which invariably has lots and lots of dust, so it's also a matter of how you use it. Because of this risk and because it's a tiny camera for clumsy user, I got a four year insurance for everything incl drops and spills.

Compared to light leaks, dust, scratches, fingerprints, uneven development, drying marks, or even scanning bands (scanners get dust on their sensors too...), dust on digital sensors doesn't scare me as much, though I'll use my insurance if I ever need to have the sensor cleaned.
03-16-2019, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It was released yesterday. It's a little early to tell how well the DR will work.

03-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Any fixed lens camera is at risk from dust on the sensor or sensor cover... Even the really expensive ones Unlike previous models, the GRIII benefits from in-camera sensor cleaning "using ultrasonic vibrations" (like the K-3), so even if dust gets on the sensor, most of the time it should be removed using this. But it's still possible you might one day get a spec or two that won't budge, and need to send the camera in for service. Such is the risk with all fixed lens cameras...
Thanks for your thoughts on the issue, much appreciated.

I jumped ahead a bit too quickly, didn't realize the GR111 is just out. A PF member in this post mentioned the fact that the GR3 intro is very recent.

I have since thought about the GR2, which according to all reviews is an excellent camera and one that has few, if any rivals...is size and performance. Also given that there seems to be some new old stock GR 2's still around and they are significantly cheaper than a GR3..has led me to considering the GR2.

The big issue for me with the GR2, is that a number seem to get dust on the sensor, due from what I've read the retracting action of the lens and where the camera is kept , carried, etc.

I have read in some reports that avoiding storing the body in dusty pockets can make a difference and others ensure the camera is is a light bag when not in use or that when it is in use , attaching the GH 3hood along with a 49mm filter that fits inot the hood seems to be somewhat effective.

I really like the concept of regularly carrying a small, well built, lightweight, unobtrusive camera with a fine wide angle lens and quite a large sensor..and for those reasons the Ricoh GR series appeals to me.

In the past day or so, I've read quite a few reviews, some long term, of the GR digital and although the dust on the sensor has been acknowledged as an issue, with a number of people, it is difficult for me to get a 'sense' of whether this is a wide spread problem or rather unusual.

I do have another compact camera with a fixed, retractable lens, a Canon G12 and have had this unit since 2011. I've used it quite a bit and have yet to experience (touch wood ) any dust on the sensor. I don't know if this is because of pure luck, or my care of the camera, which is pretty good (keep it wrapped in a cotton handkerchief, inside a padded camera case, when not in use)..or due to the design of this small Canon camera.

I maybe focusing on this issue too much and perhaps it is not an issue. I don't know.

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 05:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I saw that many of the previous gr users talk about how they put the camera with no cover in a pocket, which invariably has lots and lots of dust, so it's also a matter of how you use it. Because of this risk and because it's a tiny camera for clumsy user, I got a four year insurance for everything incl drops and spills.

Compared to light leaks, dust, scratches, fingerprints, uneven development, drying marks, or even scanning bands (scanners get dust on their sensors too...), dust on digital sensors doesn't scare me as much, though I'll use my insurance if I ever need to have the sensor cleaned.
I've been reading that putting the camera in dusty pockets may well be the issue. As a GR owner, have you had any dust on the sensor and how long, if I may ask, have you had the GR ?

How do you carry it when out and about with the GR and how do you store the camera when it is not in use ? Are you happy with the performance of your GR ? from everything I've read this quite an exceptional picture taker.

Thanks, Les

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 05:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
It was released yesterday. It's a little early to tell how well the DR will work.
Yes, I agree. I jumped the gun a bit regarding my questions about the GR3.
03-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
As a GR owner, have you had any dust on the sensor and how long, if I may ask, have you had the GR ?
Sorry if that gave the impression that I'm a current GR owner, all I've done was preorder the III and get excited enough to comment based on what reading I've done on II vs III. My plan is to use a small p&s pouch when the camera's not out for taking photos.
03-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have GR. It has always been carried and stored in a small padded zipper bag (LowePro I think) with a belt loop. It does not have dust on the sensor.

03-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have GR. It has always been carried and stored in a small padded zipper bag (LowePro I think) with a belt loop. It does not have dust on the sensor.
Your experience is encouraging.

In my unscientific research (reading online owner anecdotal reports mostly) into the GR series I'm starting to think that possibly a major factor in dust getting onto the sensor is due to the small size and therefore portability of these cameras, which then seems to lead to users carrying the uncovered camera in pants pockets, jacket pockets etc...which as many of know can contain a fair amount of dust, etc. The camera lens then, as a retractable, 'pulls' in dust on the outer surface of the camera by the lens into the body and onto the sensor.

Those who carry/store the GR cameras in bags, until use seem to encounter less difficulty with dust on sensor than others.

I don't really know if this is an accurate assessment ...it maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

---------- Post added 03-17-19 at 09:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Sorry if that gave the impression that I'm a current GR owner, all I've done was preorder the III and get excited enough to comment based on what reading I've done on II vs III. My plan is to use a small p&s pouch when the camera's not out for taking photos.
Not a problem. I misunderstood your post. I think your plan on keeping the camera in a small p+s pouch, till you take photos is an excellent decision. I'm sure you will get years of pleasure with your new GR.
03-18-2019, 01:14 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My GR II has no dust spots. I do carry it in my pockets when it's a day to use it, but if it's in a bag in the car or at home or on the bike or whatever, it is in a small case so it doesn't get damaged by other items.
03-18-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
My GR II has no dust spots. I do carry it in my pockets when it's a day to use it, but if it's in a bag in the car or at home or on the bike or whatever, it is in a small case so it doesn't get damaged by other items.
Well, I've ordered a Ricoh GR ll this morning. I plan to keep it wrapped in a light cotton bag and in a small camera bag when not using it. I'm looking at a LowePro bag that can be carried via a belt loop.

I'm looking forward to receiving the camera . I also closely looked at two small Fuji (XA 5 and XF10) model cameras, but in the end the PF advice and anecdotal reports of the GR ll swayed me.
03-22-2019, 10:42 PM - 2 Likes   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

I’ve always worried that a natural fiber bag like cotton could be the cause of particles on the sensor, not protection from them, much like the inside of a pocket. Almost all camera bags are synthetic fabrics, and I think there’s a reason for that.

I had a GR Digital and never had trouble with sensor dust. I bought the official Ricoh case and thought it was perfect. It’s made of (fake?) leather on the outside, and the top flaps over to fasten with a magnet, so it’s very quick to slip the camera in and out.

It doesn’t completely seal the camera from the outside, but the inside is made from some kind of synthetic lining that is like a mix between velvet and soft Velcro. If any dust got in, it would just stick to the inside of the case.

Also, the case is stiff on the front and back. The side is soft, but there is a little hard inlay just where the power button is that prevents you from accidentally switching the camera on in the case. It’s just right to protect from shocks. It aged well over the seven years I was actively using that camera, and I’ve heard the GR III fits in it, so I’ll be putting it back into service soon.

I don’t know for sure that the Ricoh GC-5 case for the GR II is made in the same way, but I think it’s quite likely. I’d definitely consider it if I were you.
03-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I’ve always worried that a natural fiber bag like cotton could be the cause of particles on the sensor, not protection from them, much like the inside of a pocket. Almost all camera bags are synthetic fabrics, and I think there’s a reason for that.

I had a GR Digital and never had trouble with sensor dust. I bought the official Ricoh case and thought it was perfect. It’s made of (fake?) leather on the outside, and the top flaps over to fasten with a magnet, so it’s very quick to slip the camera in and out.

It doesn’t completely seal the camera from the outside, but the inside is made from some kind of synthetic lining that is like a mix between velvet and soft Velcro. If any dust got in, it would just stick to the inside of the case.

Also, the case is stiff on the front and back. The side is soft, but there is a little hard inlay just where the power button is that prevents you from accidentally switching the camera on in the case. It’s just right to protect from shocks. It aged well over the seven years I was actively using that camera, and I’ve heard the GR III fits in it, so I’ll be putting it back into service soon.

I don’t know for sure that the Ricoh GC-5 case for the GR II is made in the same way, but I think it’s quite likely. I’d definitely consider it if I were you.
Thx for the info on what you have done. I've ordered a new old stock (NOS) GR ll and it's on it's way. I have an older Kata small case that has a belt loop and I'm going to try this first to see how it does. It seems to have a nylon type interior and also has an extra pocket that I think will hold an extra GR ll battery and possibly the GH3 lens hood.

I have noted on the Pentax Ricoh accessories there is a GR ll case that if I recall correctly sounds similar to what you're describing. If the Kata bag doesn't work I may go for this.

Good to hear that you haven't had trouble with dust on the sensor.

I have thought about wrapping my incoming GR ll in a cotton bag, but maybe this is not a good idea, given what you have said and I quote:

"I’ve always worried that a natural fiber bag like cotton could be the cause of particles on the sensor, not protection from them, much like the inside of a pocket. Almost all camera bags are synthetic fabrics, and I think there’s a reason for that..."

This make sense and I believe I'll nix the idea about wrapping the GR ll in cotton, just keep it in at first in the nylon Kata bag.

Thank you for your advice.

Les
03-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Thx for the info on what you have done. I've ordered a new old stock (NOS) GR ll and it's on it's way. I have an older Kata small case that has a belt loop and I'm going to try this first to see how it does. It seems to have a nylon type interior and also has an extra pocket that I think will hold an extra GR ll battery and possibly the GH3 lens hood.
I think you'll do just fine with that Kata case, Les... they're good. If I have one additional bit of advice... since you say it's an "older" case, I'm assuming you've used it previously. If that's so, use the time you have waiting for delivery of the camera to vacuum any dust and debris from the interior and exterior of the case. Obviously, the less dust there is, the less it's likely to get inside the camera. But really, I think reasonable precautions will render your concerns unnecessary...

Do let us know how you get on with the GRII? It's a camera I've wanted for quite some time, but I've never been able to justify it. I really like the image quality from the photos I've seen...
03-23-2019, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think you'll do just fine with that Kata case, Les... they're good. If I have one additional bit of advice... since you say it's an "older" case, I'm assuming you've used it previously. If that's so, use the time you have waiting for delivery of the camera to vacuum any dust and debris from the interior and exterior of the case. Obviously, the less dust there is, the less it's likely to get inside the camera. But really, I think reasonable precautions will render your concerns unnecessary...

Do let us know how you get on with the GRII? It's a camera I've wanted for quite some time, but I've never been able to justify it. I really like the image quality from the photos I've seen...
Great minds think alike !! That's exactly what I plan to do, is vacuum the case. In fact I planned to fire up the shop vac today and siphon out everything, but our son alerted us that he plans to pick up his motorcycle from winter storage at our place, tomorrow. I've been busy giving the m/c battery a last charge and getting other things ready.

After I posted that I planned to use my Kata case, I took out my tape measure and realized how big it is...more than enough room to contain the GR and it will not be a tight fit. I've been thinking of putting some 'filler' in the case with the GR for added protection and a better fit, but so far I haven't figured out what filler would be best and not leave dust. Cotton, nope, foam, nope.

Any ideas ?

I'm looking forward to using it as a daily carry around .

Thanks Les
03-23-2019, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I got my gr iii on Tuesday, and I am using it with a Lowepro Ridge 30. It's a discontinued case that I bought new for $3 following a thread I found on flickr, which was discussing case options for the older two models. The case is nice, but since it's discontinued and not in stock from most stores, I'm mentioning it just for reference of a case that fits well without wasted space.