Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2019, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I got my gr iii on Tuesday, and I am using it with a Lowepro Ridge 30.
I'm using the Lowepro Apex 30, which I guess is the replacement since the names are similar. It's good and tough but was very snug indeed on the GRII. I was tempted by one of the two Ricoh cases, but the slightly smaller GR III fits the Apex perfectly, so I'll keep using it.

The GR III is amazing so far, but since it arrived I've been so busy at work I've only had a couple of hours with it. I have some time to use it properly this next few days and will report back once I have. Certainly no dust spots yet. The SR dust removal does the same mouse squeak at startup and shutdown that my K-3 makes...

03-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I was tempted by one of the two Ricoh cases
So was I, despite the high price, but what ultimately made me decide against that was that they're open and dust can get in (and in freezing weather, I'm imagining, it's not as simple to bring the camera in the case into a warm room without condensation).
Otherwise, I'm in the same boat, it's been a busy week so I only got to use the camera for one "photo commute" and a few cat photos as home Very impressive in use on the street, the controls make a lot sense to me, coming from dslr and film slr cameras.
03-24-2019, 04:22 AM   #18

Just received new GRiii. Struggling with both WiFi and Bluetooth (IOS). Appears Imagesync not yet reflecting GRiii. Any info / insights on when this update will be released? So far, liking the pocketability, low-light image quality, feel and speed of camera. Disclaimer: Not yet even taken 100 shots.
03-24-2019, 04:57 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
On Ricoh website: "2019.03.13The App version corresponding to GR III will be released in the end of April."

03-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got my gr iii on Tuesday, and I am using it with a Lowepro Ridge 30. It's a discontinued case that I bought new for $3 following a thread I found on flickr, which was discussing case options for the older two models. The case is nice, but since it's discontinued and not in stock from most stores, I'm mentioning it just for reference of a case that fits well without wasted space.
I ordered my GR ll from my local camera shop (glad a few still exist in my town) and when I was there I looked at their display of small , belt loop bags. There were a few very small LowePro units that I think are probably similar to your Ridge 30. When the GR comes in, I plan to try some these small bags for good, close fitment. Hopefully something will be there that will meet requirements.

---------- Post added 03-24-19 at 01:51 PM ----------

So was I, despite the high price, but what ultimately made me decide against that was that they're open and dust can get in (and in freezing weather, I'm imagining, it's not as simple to bring the camera in the case into a warm room without condensation).
I looked at the official GR cases on the Ricoh and B+H websites and have the same concern about the fact that they're open and dust , etc.
03-24-2019, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I ordered my GR ll from my local camera shop (glad a few still exist in my town) and when I was there I looked at their display of small , belt loop bags. There were a few very small LowePro units that I think are probably similar to your Ridge 30. When the GR comes in, I plan to try some these small bags for good, close fitment. Hopefully something will be there that will meet requirements.

---------- Post added 03-24-19 at 01:51 PM ----------

I looked at the official GR cases on the Ricoh and B+H websites and have the same concern about the fact that they're open and dust , etc.
For what it's worth, I've had 5 GR camers (1 film) and for normal carry when I'm using the camera a lot I use a small microfiber sunglass pouch - the type with drawstrings that often come free with sunglasses. Works perfectly. Otherwise I am using my original Lowepro (can't remember the name of it but it's the precursor to the Ridge 30) which I bought with my GRDigitalIII in 2009 (the GR/GRII sized camera fit in those but they were a bit snug - the new one is smaller and fits perfectly again). Its in the case when I'm tossing it in a bag, but I use the small pouch otherwise.
I didn't buy the GRII but I've had my GR since pre-order in 2013 and it's never had a spec of dust. The issue does seem more prevalent than on some other camera models, but there are scores of folks who have never experienced dust and often say nothing because they've nothing to say.
03-26-2019, 11:43 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My new Ricoh GR ll just came in. I also picked up a small belt loop bag, that takes the GR and an extra battery, SD card. It has a nylon lined interior, so hopefully that will work out any dust concerns ...and I took BigMackCam's excellent advice and gave it a good interior vacuum with my shop vac. A new bag yes, but I wanted to be sure it was clean inside. Right now it's charging up and I'm reading the owner's manual. Looking forward to using it.

03-26-2019, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My new Ricoh GR ll just came in. I also picked up a small belt loop bag, that takes the GR and an extra battery, SD card. It has a nylon lined interior, so hopefully that will work out any dust concerns ...and I took BigMackCam's excellent advice and gave it a good interior vacuum with my shop vac. A new bag yes, but I wanted to be sure it was clean inside. Right now it's charging up and I'm reading the owner's manual. Looking forward to using it.
Woohoo!!! Let us know what you think of it once you've tried it out a little?
03-26-2019, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Woohoo!!! Let us know what you think of it once you've tried it out a little?
The battery charged up. Took a few pictures at 3200 ISO...higher ISO than is my usual, but they were indoors, available light. It seems to be a good little camera. What I've been looking for, a long time. Something that I can make my own decisions about which F stop, ISO, shutter speed settings and with a ASP-C sized sensor and a what seems to be an excellent fixed, relatively fast ( F 2.8) wide angle lens... this unit is easy to carry around on a daily basis..so I'll be ready if I see the perfect picture opportunity.

I like the ..what seems to be a rubberized gripping surface and the fact that it has an metal alloy body...solid. It fits well into my new small, belt loop bag . The images appear to be high quality. The manual is 175 pages and that's another thing that I like...it has a printed manual, unlike my 2011 Canon G12, which just had a computer disc. When I'm travelling I don't often take a laptop and usually fit my manual books in a side pocket of my Domke bags..for quick reference if I need to check something out. Another plus.

I've ordered an additional battery and the GH3 accessory lens hood, which should be in soon. All in all, a good purchase, that I look forward to carrying with me, as life...and hopefully potential picture opportunities...unfold.

I did look at the Fuji (XA 10 I think) and although it has some advantages...the GR ll met what I wanted better ...as a camera that doesn't look like a 'good' camera to the uninitiated. I wanted a camera that was small and unobtrusive...a camera that looks ordinary at first glance...a camera that could fit into the background, into the woodwork as it were. I think the GR ll will do that...also that leaf shutter is barely perceptible...which is a big plus. Reminds me of how quiet my old Leica llf is, when I press the shutter button.

So there you are, first impressions of the GR.
03-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thx for the info on what you have done. I've ordered a new old stock (NOS) GR ll and it's on it's way. I have an older Kata small case that has a belt loop and I'm going to try this first to see how it does. It seems to have a nylon type interior and also has an extra pocket that I think will hold an extra GR ll battery and possibly the GH3 lens hood.

Les
I have a GR and a small nylon lined Kata bag with a belt loop that holds the camera, and an extra battery in a small pocket. I’ll bet it is the same bag - lined with yellow nylon material. Top zipper so it is easy to slip the camera in and out. My GR is always stored in that bag whether I’m out shooting or have put the camera away.

I’ve never had even a hint of sensor dust.
03-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a GR and a small nylon lined Kata bag with a belt loop that holds the camera, and an extra battery in a small pocket. I’ll bet it is the same bag - lined with yellow nylon material. Top zipper so it is easy to slip the camera in and out. My GR is always stored in that bag whether I’m out shooting or have put the camera away.

I’ve never had even a hint of sensor dust.
On the back of my small Kata bag is what I think is the model identification...DHP 485.

The bag has 3 pockets...the front zippered pocket is lined with a yellow pocketed material, the second and third pockets...bigger than the first are lined with some kind of black nylon and they are not zippered, but open...with a fold over cover, attached by velcro to the front pocket's exterior. There is a narrow, protective spine in the outside cover.

BTW, I'm following your example of always storing my GR in a bag...with the exception of shooting pictures...it has worked well for you and others.
03-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the back of my small Kata bag is what I think is the model identification...DHP 485.

The bag has 3 pockets...the front zippered pocket is lined with a yellow pocketed material, the second and third pockets...bigger than the first are lined with some kind of black nylon and they are not zippered, but open...with a fold over cover, attached by velcro to the front pocket's exterior. There is a narrow, protective spine in the outside cover.

BTW, I'm following your example of always storing my GR in a bag...with the exception of shooting pictures...it has worked well for you and others.
Your Kata bag is more evolved than mine.

Vertical orientation, half-zipper from upper front corner to lower rear corner. One interior open slash pocket for the battery (tabbed with an embroidered pictograph of an SD card), gusset to limit the travel of the opening panel so the contents don’t fall out. Robust finger loop on top. Exterior tab embroidered ZP - 5 DL and www.kata-bags.com.
03-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Your Kata bag is more evolved than mine.

Vertical orientation, half-zipper from upper front corner to lower rear corner. One interior open slash pocket for the battery (tabbed with an embroidered pictograph of an SD card), gusset to limit the travel of the opening panel so the contents don’t fall out. Robust finger loop on top. Exterior tab embroidered ZP - 5 DL and www.kata-bags.com.
The bag I picked up today at the camera store in my burg, is a Vanguard Lido 8. Never heard of the brand before, but it seems to be nicely made, fits my GR ll very well and there's a front pocket for the extra battery, when that item comes in. I was fully expecting to get a small LowePro as they had a few there, but I couldn't find one among their stock that would fit the GR.

I haven't forgotten my small Kata bag though. I've also ordered a GH-3 hood and although it's hard to say till that comes in, it will be interesting to see if I can fit my GR, spare battery and GH-3 hood into the Kata bag. The Kata bag is larger and has one more pocket than the Vanguard. Putting the hood in a belt loop bag, may prove difficult and too cumbersome, so I may just go with the Vanguard bag for the GR and extra battery...only. Or perhaps go with my Kat bag as it has full and effective cover, attached at the bottom by velcro...which would be quicker to open than the Vanguard's zipper .
03-26-2019, 08:55 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bag I picked up today at the camera store in my burg, is a Vanguard Lido 8. Never heard of the brand before, but it seems to be nicely made, fits my GR ll very well and there's a front pocket for the extra battery, when that item comes in. I was fully expecting to get a small LowePro as they had a few there, but I couldn't find one among their stock that would fit the GR.

I haven't forgotten my small Kata bag though. I've also ordered a GH-3 hood and although it's hard to say till that comes in, it will be interesting to see if I can fit my GR, spare battery and GH-3 hood into the Kata bag. The Kata bag is larger and has one more pocket than the Vanguard. Putting the hood in a belt loop bag, may prove difficult and too cumbersome, so I may just go with the Vanguard bag for the GR and extra battery...only. Or perhaps go with my Kat bag as it has full and effective cover, attached at the bottom by velcro...which would be quicker to open than the Vanguard's zipper .
Here’s the Point and Shoot section of the Kata-Bags website, and my bag. There was a slightly larger bag - ZP-6. Manfrotto bought Kata-Bags and these are no longer available - just a series of horrid National Geographic canvas pouches.

Point And Shoot - By Equipment - Photo | Kata Bags

The ZP-5-DL | Kata Bags

Last edited by monochrome; 03-26-2019 at 09:03 PM.
03-27-2019, 06:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here’s the Point and Shoot section of the Kata-Bags website, and my bag. There was a slightly larger bag - ZP-6. Manfrotto bought Kata-Bags and these are no longer available - just a series of horrid National Geographic canvas pouches.

Point And Shoot - By Equipment - Photo | Kata Bags

The ZP-5-DL | Kata Bags
I like the quick draw aspect of the ZP-5-DL. Nice to have an 'anchor' to grasp while opening the zipper.

The DF-408 DL bag is kind of similar in outward appearance to my small Kata bag, but with two pockets as opposed to the three mine (485) has. I noted on the product description that the DF-408 DL was suited for cameras such as the Canon G 12 and reading that triggered my memory as to why I bought my 485 Kata...it was to carry my Canon G 12.

I always liked the original Kata bags, very substantial and many of them had the lovely yellow lining...that bright colour provides a very good contrast to spot things like errant black lens caps that sometimes pop off into the bowels of the bag.