Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Image sync app for GR III

I just got my gr III yesterday. All works great, but one thing I couldn't figure out is how to pair it with the app on Android.
Bluetooth pairing works, as does connecting to the camera's wifi, but only if I do it from the Android settings.
The app doesn't list the GR III in the options to connect to.

Does anyone know when/if Ricoh announced a date by which the app will get an update? In Google play the last update to the app was in January.

03-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #2

I've had the same issue as well. Hoping there is an update soon
03-22-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
ne!
Forum Member

I read in connection with the GRIII that Ricoh is indeed updating the app soon, perhaps significantly, but there was no timeline given as far as I know.
03-23-2019, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #4

This page says end of April, so I guess we have to be patient

03-23-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cameraswede Quote
This page says end of April, so I guess we have to be patient
Thanks, and welcome to the forums!
04-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just updated my image sync. Firmware update is required for use but both are now available. I posted another thread in this regard.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/161-ricoh-gr/386342-gr-iii-firmware-upda...on-1-10-a.html

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-22-2019 at 06:54 PM. Reason: link
04-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #7

Tried to use app to control camera. Message from says camera not supported.
Image sync 2.0.4
Camera 1.10
Wifi works just fine
Transferring files work like a breeze. No problems there, Raw goes in about 8-10sec, JPG in 3-5.
Can not connect BT just times out.
Any ideas?

04-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ru2far2c Quote
Tried to use app to control camera. Message from says camera not supported.
Image sync 2.0.4
Camera 1.10
Wifi works just fine
Transferring files work like a breeze. No problems there, Raw goes in about 8-10sec, JPG in 3-5.
Can not connect BT just times out.
Any ideas?
Stated in the release notes:

RICOH GR III corresponding version (2.0.4) is released. To use this version, RICOH GR III firmware (version 1.10) update is required.
This version can conduct Viewing images via Wireless LAN and Image Transfer only.

The release timing of the version corresponding to following functions will be announced when it is fixed.
・Remote Capture Function
・Bluetooth Connection
・Transfer reservation, Viewing images after turning off the camera power
・Synchronize date and time
・Location information sending

Image Sync / APP / DOWNLOAD / SUPPORT | RICOH IMAGING
04-23-2019, 06:31 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Stated in the release notes:

RICOH GR III corresponding version (2.0.4) is released. To use this version, RICOH GR III firmware (version 1.10) update is required.
This version can conduct Viewing images via Wireless LAN and Image Transfer only.

The release timing of the version corresponding to following functions will be announced when it is fixed.
・Remote Capture Function
・Bluetooth Connection
・Transfer reservation, Viewing images after turning off the camera power
・Synchronize date and time
・Location information sending

Image Sync / APP / DOWNLOAD / SUPPORT | RICOH IMAGING
BT is not responding not whois at fault. Phone or camera. Link is the same I went to down on phone.

WiFi works just for transfer. Not going to really worry about BT for now.
Thanks for reposting.
04-23-2019, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ru2far2c Quote
BT is not responding not whois at fault. Phone or camera. Link is the same I went to down on phone.

WiFi works just for transfer. Not going to really worry about BT for now.
Thanks for reposting.
I think you're misreading the notes. "This version can conduct Viewing images via Wireless LAN and Image Transfer only."
Meaning those are the only functions that currently work.
Everything in the bullet list that follows, including Bluetooth and remote capture, etc., "will be announced when it is fixed", e.g. an upcoming release version.
Bluetooth and remote capture do *not* work in this version.
04-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I think you're misreading the notes. "This version can conduct Viewing images via Wireless LAN and Image Transfer only."
Meaning those are the only functions that currently work.
Everything in the bullet list that follows, including Bluetooth and remote capture, etc., "will be announced when it is fixed", e.g. an upcoming release version.
Bluetooth and remote capture do *not* work in this version.
You are right I miss read the article. That is what I get for skimming.
On the hand I'll be waiting for GR remote to be up dated.
GR Remote | RICOH IMAGING
05-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've tried this update corresponding to firmware v1.10 and it works with my android phone.

I connected a few times without realizing it was working as intended. That's because the app isn't providing any feedback that it connected (and it takes a while to connect), instead it says "function not supported" on the first page. But that just to indicate that it can't support whatever that page is for, if you then go to the image transfer tab it works to view and download images.
05-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I've tried this update corresponding to firmware v1.10 and it works with my android phone.

I connected a few times without realizing it was working as intended. That's because the app isn't providing any feedback that it connected (and it takes a while to connect), instead it says "function not supported" on the first page. But that just to indicate that it can't support whatever that page is for, if you then go to the image transfer tab it works to view and download images.
Yeah I've found the same. It isn' the most elegant of programming for certain, but since it works reliably I'm not complaining. I do hope they smooth it out somewhat in subsequent releases.
05-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I've also found that using the Image Sync option, while mightily convenient tends to tank my battery in short order.
07-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Just got my GR III (woo-hoo!) and I found setting up the image sync app way more confusing than it should be. Not sure why there isn't a simple step-by-step description of how to transfer images, but here's what I had to do.

1. Phone: Disconnect form the phone's current wifi network. (To keep it from reconnecting automatically I had to "forget" the network.)
2. Camera: Turn Wireless LAN Setting > Action Mode > On.
3. Phone: Connect to the camera's wifi.
4. Image Sync: Open the app and connect to the camera by selecting Ricoh GR III from the list of supported cameras.

At that point I could access the camera tab in the app to view/transfer images.

None of this was clear from the online documentation or any kind of helps/tips within the app. Maybe I'm just dense (a distinct possibility, despite working in software product development for > 20 years) but I found it...unintuitive. Hope this helps anyone else who's struggling out there.

Last edited by alan_smithee_photos; 07-12-2019 at 01:30 PM.