Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2967 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
And similar to Pentax cameras, you can develop in-camera. So even if you don't want to process raw on a computer, you could develop raw files with different jpeg settings after the fact by shooting raw or raw+jpeg.
This is a very flawed logic.
First, you need to choose from the processing options on a large monitor, it is much more convenient. Secondly, the processing in the chamber is extremely inconvenient and non-operative. To do this, you first need to select the .DNG files on your computer that require processing, save them to a memory card, insert the card into the camera and do the conversion.
In short, the lack of support for pre-installed filters in the PDCU is a real dirty trick on the part of manufacturer. Surprisingly, before the official release of the camera, no review paid attention to it.

04-05-2019, 07:20 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by juristkostya Quote
This is a very flawed logic.
First, you need to choose from the processing options on a large monitor, it is much more convenient. Secondly, the processing in the chamber is extremely inconvenient and non-operative. To do this, you first need to select the .DNG files on your computer that require processing, save them to a memory card, insert the card into the camera and do the conversion.
In short, the lack of support for pre-installed filters in the PDCU is a real dirty trick on the part of manufacturer. Surprisingly, before the official release of the camera, no review paid attention to it.
If you mean that it's not as convenient to develop in-camera compared to a computer, of course I agree. But the question I was answering was if/how can one apply other jpeg settings after taking photos, and there is this option if you want to not edit on a computer and still try out different jpeg settings. If reviewing on a large screen isn't an absolute requirement, for example you want to quickly try bw and color versions of the same image, you can develop the same raw file in-camera multiple times, just go to the raw (or raw+) file, press the "video/wifi" button, and there's an option to process raw, new jpegs are save separately.
04-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Thanks for saying that. Here's a shot that shows the GR III lens is sharp as a thorn!
Yeh, that thing is sharp. Now, I have to figure out how to get me one!!!! I have been wanting a GR for a few years now. I am afraid that once I get a GRIII, all my other cameras and lenses are going to sit in a closet and never see use again!
04-05-2019, 08:23 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Yeh, that thing is sharp. Now, I have to figure out how to get me one!!!! I have been wanting a GR for a few years now. I am afraid that once I get a GRIII, all my other cameras and lenses are going to sit in a closet and never see use again!
Ha ha, I have to say that is a legitimate concern! The image quality of a KP that fits in my shirt pocket - who'd a thunk it?

04-05-2019, 02:10 PM - 3 Likes   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From a wander around downtown Toronto on a cold, cloudy day. JPEGs, straight out of the camera. A fair bit of perspective distortion, but you would expect that with a wider lens. Very very sharp.

If you enlarge the brown notice at the bottom of the left top door you will get an idea of how sharp this lens is.

Last edited by jacamar; 04-08-2019 at 07:51 AM.
04-05-2019, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

I'm really liking the highlight biased exposure setting for certain situations, in particular warm direct light. I put this exposure mode, iso 100 and f8 for landscape work under a user mode setting. Cropped for aspect ratio the right side, minimal processing in darktable (mostly cloning a distracting sticker on the drain pipe, if you look carefully you can still see its red reflection on the mailbox).

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
The image quality of a KP that fits in my shirt pocket
Sharp indeed. The largest print I've done ever was with the k3ii, 20x30". Yesterday I ordered the same size with the GR III, really excited to see the result.

Last edited by aaacb; 04-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.
04-06-2019, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

Two sooc photos in macro mode, standard setting

04-06-2019, 11:54 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

Original Poster
DNG developed in ACR.
I no longer suffer from a lack of support in PDCU

04-06-2019, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The macro mode is quite cleverly implemented - basically it's an automatic extension tube. At 28mm FF equivalent you do have to get frighteningly close though. This was hand held, and the rose was moving slightly in the breeze, so I'm sure sharper results are possible.

04-07-2019, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Veteran Member

a tiny miniature phalaenopsis orchid of ours (one of many) that's rebloomed for us a few times now.... Just a brief test (from the comfort of my sofa) of the GRIII macro ability.

04-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #56
Pentaxian

I'm really liking the highlight biased exposure setting for certain situations, in particular warm direct light. I put this exposure mode, iso 100 and f8 for landscape work under a user mode setting. Cropped for aspect ratio the right side, minimal processing in darktable (mostly cloning a distracting sticker on the drain pipe, if you look carefully you can still see its red reflection on the mailbox).

Sharp indeed. The largest print I've done ever was with the k3ii, 20x30". Yesterday I ordered the same size with the GR III, really excited to see the result.

Nice pix. Will be interested to read how well the 20 X 30 " enlargement turns out. I have a GR ll and am pleased with the mighty mite's (my pet name for it) performance.

I wonder how long that particular U.S. Mail box has been situated there. I see it has a relatively new concrete base, but I'm betting that the box itself has been there ...or perhaps in another location for eons. Looks beyond vintage.
04-08-2019, 07:47 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I notice from the materials in the box that there's no invitation to register the camera with Ricoh. There's a GR official blog, but for the "latest updates" I'm supposed to follow Ricoh/GR on Facebook or Twitter. I don't have accounts with either of these. Looks like I will have to rely on Pentax Forums to notify me of any new notices or updates.
04-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I notice from the materials in the box that there's no invitation to register the camera with Ricoh. There's a GR official blog, but for the "latest updates" I'm supposed to follow Ricoh/GR on Facebook or Twitter. I don't have accounts with either of these. Looks like I will have to rely on Pentax Forums to notify me of any new notices or updates.
Ricoh Product Registration - U.S.

Ricoh Product Registration - Canada

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-08-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added Canadian link
04-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Ricoh Product Registration - U.S. Ricoh Product Registration - Canada
Thanks chickentender - looks like I will have to wait until the GR-III appears on the drop down list of Ricoh products (on the Canadian page at least)
04-08-2019, 10:17 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I've made and sold several extremely large prints that were taken with the GRDIII from many years ago that look exceptional. The largest I've made from that camera was 36x24 face-mounted on acrylic. It's really all relative. Though I subscribe to the "minimum viewing distance" school of thought; I actually enjoy printing high-grain images large so that as you approach the piece, the image dissolve and the grain structure becomes more apparent. Feels more like a painting to me. Though don't get me wrong; I do appreciate the enormous cropping options a sensor of this size can offer.

---------- Post added 04-08-19 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Thanks chickentender - looks like I will have to wait until the GR-III appears on the drop down list of Ricoh products (on the Canadian page at least)
Ahhh yes. Looks like there is a field available in the meantime for "other".