Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 08:51 PM - 2 Likes   #931
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
riseform's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: WA, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 348
A rare snow weekend in Tacoma, WA

My dog is much faster than I thought! While I don't rely on the GRiii an action camera, it captured a good memory of a very happy dog


Birding without the bird...


02-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #932
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 1,043
Original Poster
all with wide-converter







02-19-2021, 10:44 AM - 1 Like   #933
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 1,043
Original Poster
all with wide-converter








02-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #934
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 1,043
Original Poster




with wide-converter:






02-21-2021, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #935
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jacamar's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,623
Colour (from RAW) and hard B&W for comparison



02-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #936
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salzburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 952
@Jacamar: I've noticed this grainy effect in skies with Hard B&W, it looks like film - but it isn't there in the colour version. Do we have any control over it?
And it appears to be the same picture, not one setting shot twice. As a new GR owner, how do you convert an image shot in colour afterwards with Ricoh's settings?
02-21-2021, 06:06 PM   #937
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2020
Photos: Albums
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
@Jacamar: I've noticed this grainy effect in skies with Hard B&W, it looks like film - but it isn't there in the colour version. Do we have any control over it?
And it appears to be the same picture, not one setting shot twice. As a new GR owner, how do you convert an image shot in colour afterwards with Ricoh's settings?
It's not film grain, or the inbuilt grain look, it's more of a by-product of the way the color filter embedded in hard B&W affects blues. I think it's actually posterization of some sort.
02-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jacamar's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,623
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
@Jacamar: I've noticed this grainy effect in skies with Hard B&W, it looks like film - but it isn't there in the colour version. Do we have any control over it?
And it appears to be the same picture, not one setting shot twice. As a new GR owner, how do you convert an image shot in colour afterwards with Ricoh's settings?
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
It's not film grain, or the inbuilt grain look, it's more of a by-product of the way the color filter embedded in hard B&W affects blues. I think it's actually posterization of some sort.
Hi Smolk and Agent L. It was one shot - in RAW+ so I converted the RAW shot to jpeg in colour and provided the jpeg file separately (I know the cropping is slightly different). I have noticed some abberations in the jpeg files like fringing on some of the other shots posted here if you enlarge them (e.g. tree branches against the sky), and the "grain" would be another example. I posted another comparison a few months ago. Still, I'm pleased overall with the hard B&W setting - I do minor adjustments in Photoshop Elements.


Last edited by jacamar; 02-21-2021 at 07:43 PM.
02-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #939
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salzburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 952
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Hi Smolk and Agent L. It was one shot - in RAW+ so I converted the RAW shot to jpeg in colour and provided the jpeg file separately (I know the cropping is slightly different). I have noticed some abberations in the jpeg files like fringing on some of the other shots posted here if you enlarge them (e.g. tree branches against the sky), and the "grain" would be another example. I posted another comparison a few months ago. Still, I'm pleased overall with the hard B&W setting - I do minor adjustments in Photoshop Elements.
this is a beginner's question (I'm new to digital, shooting 6x6 and other ratios on film until, well, 10 days ago apart from a brief flirtation with Sigma Foveon): how did you convert a colour image to B&W? Is there a procedure in camera, or do you use software?
02-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
jacamar's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,623
If the setting for storing images on the GR III is set at RAW+, and you are in a B&W image setting you get two files - a B&W image (which will incorporate the hi-contrast or hard B&W etc. settings) in jpeg and a RAW image that opens in colour (or at least it does in my Photoshop Elements). I can work with the B&W image with Ricoh's settings in Elements or or go to the RAW file and work with the colour image, then open that image in Elements and further develop the colour image or convert to black and white. (I have the Nik Collection/ Siver Efex which was free at the time I downloaded it but isn't now, but it does give you more options than Elements).
I'm not a super-expert, I'm just letting you know what has worked for me so far. Hope this helps - any other questions are welcome.
02-23-2021, 06:00 AM   #941
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salzburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 952
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
If the setting for storing images on the GR III is set at RAW+, and you are in a B&W image setting you get two files - a B&W image (which will incorporate the hi-contrast or hard B&W etc. settings) in jpeg and a RAW image that opens in colour (or at least it does in my Photoshop Elements). I can work with the B&W image with Ricoh's settings in Elements or or go to the RAW file and work with the colour image, then open that image in Elements and further develop the colour image or convert to black and white. (I have the Nik Collection/ Siver Efex which was free at the time I downloaded it but isn't now, but it does give you more options than Elements).
I'm not a super-expert, I'm just letting you know what has worked for me so far. Hope this helps - any other questions are welcome.
Thanks - I understand now. I have an old copy of Capture One laying around but nothing else. I'll play with it. The image quality is so good and the size so small that I take it with me far more than any other camera.
02-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #942
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2020
Photos: Albums
Posts: 482
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
this is a beginner's question (I'm new to digital, shooting 6x6 and other ratios on film until, well, 10 days ago apart from a brief flirtation with Sigma Foveon): how did you convert a colour image to B&W? Is there a procedure in camera, or do you use software?
I actually shoot RAW only most of the time with the GR III, and convert files to JPEG in-camera. You just select RAW processing from the playback menu, pick the file, and there is a wide variety of settings available: overall exposure +/-, shadow recovery, WB, JPEG style... and then within the JPEG style you have a further set of parameters like contrast, saturation, hi/low key, highlight contrast, shadow contrast, tint, grain (on some styles), B&W color filter effect (not available on Hard B&W but can be applied to regular, soft and hi-contrast styles. You even have custom control over the R,G and B sliders to tune your own color filter effect.

The GR III is pretty powerful with its JPEG engine, it has pushed me hard in the direction of processing most of my shots in-camera, unless hefty editing needs to be done to a very difficult file.
02-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #943
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salzburg
Photos: Albums
Posts: 952
That explains a lot - and looks like a method I'd like to experiment with. I don't shoot that much usually so I tend to shoot Raw + JPEG, but I had not yet discovered the trick of in-camera conversions.
02-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #944
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Ukraine, Kharkov
Posts: 1,043
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
That explains a lot - and looks like a method I'd like to experiment with. I don't shoot that much usually so I tend to shoot Raw + JPEG, but I had not yet discovered the trick of in-camera conversions.
all in-camera conversions are inherently crutches.
RAW forever
02-25-2021, 12:55 AM - 2 Likes   #945
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 249
After the snowfall almost summer



Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adrian, bit, camera, david, digital camera, flickr, focus, gr, gr iii photos, grii, iii, image, images, infinity, lens, modes, people, pm, pod, post, ricoh gr, screen, size, summertime, thanks, view finder, vw, water
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GR III available in Australia Paul the Sunman Ricoh GR 7 03-16-2019 02:54 PM
Ricoh GR III rumour...... Pentaxis Pentax Compact Cameras 15 10-10-2018 12:07 AM
GR store, no GR III i83N Pentax News and Rumors 14 07-13-2017 07:16 PM
Ricoh Gr II or wait for III astroZombie Ricoh GR 10 06-06-2017 12:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top