Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2967 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
1/8000 | f/2.8 | ISO200
My first reaction was "wow, that's quick for a leaf shutter, and at f2.8!" - but I guess that's with the electronic shutter?

03-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My first reaction was "wow, that's quick for a leaf shutter, and at f2.8!" - but I guess that's with the electronic shutter?
Oops! Hahah - no, that was a typo. Shutter was 1/800 not 1/8000. I've edited it, thanks! (Max shutter is 1/4000 which is pretty damn good)
03-31-2019, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
more "Old photo" mode

03-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
(Max shutter is 1/4000 which is pretty damn good)
And just in case, it also has a built in two stop nd filter. What I like the most about it is that it has an auto-enable mode.

03-31-2019, 03:23 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got my GRIII, not time for any really interesting photos so here's my car: The only processing done on this shot was enabling the lens profile in Lightroom.
!/30 sec f 5.6.

Last edited by sibyrnes; 03-31-2019 at 07:19 PM.
03-31-2019, 06:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by juristkostya Quote
You see, here in the forum we see greatly reduced pictures. Therefore, visual sharpness is primarily the result of processing.
As I wrote above, the shot is slightly processed - including the "unsharp mask".
Nice set of images juristkostya. What ƒ-stop are you using? Any thing above ƒ5.6? This makes a tremendous difference in how "sharp" the images can be.

From the images posted by aaacb starting from ƒ5.6 it looks like things are sharp from close focus to infinity.

Most of the early images from the Review sites 95% of the images seem to be taken only at ƒ2.8 which isn't really were this type of "street" camera should be used.
03-31-2019, 06:57 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
From the images posted by aaacb starting from ƒ5.6 it looks like things are sharp from close focus to infinity.
I've been shooting with snap focus set at 2.5m. At infinity it's not pin sharp, maybe with a lower resolution sensor or softer lens it'd look comparatively sharper still plenty sharp for a "deep focus" background. I'll give 2m a try for the next few outings as I get used to shooting at closer distances. It's more or less how I was using with my k3 and da 21, but the fact that I always can half press for regular af is pretty great.

04-01-2019, 02:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nice set of images juristkostya. What ƒ-stop are you using? Any thing above ƒ5.6? This makes a tremendous difference in how "sharp" the images can be.
from f4 to f5,6, rarely f8
04-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I've been shooting with snap focus set at 2.5m. At infinity it's not pin sharp, maybe with a lower resolution sensor or softer lens it'd look comparatively sharper still plenty sharp for a "deep focus" background. I'll give 2m a try for the next few outings as I get used to shooting at closer distances. It's more or less how I was using with my k3 and da 21, but the fact that I always can half press for regular af is pretty great.
aaacb your vertical image of the mountain range at ƒ11 really shows how nice the lens renders like the eye sees. Was this image a crop also? Your image of the Man on the street is what people are looking for in a "street" camera. I would love to see the full image.

Using the GRII I am 85% of the time shooting between ƒ8-ƒ11. I set the focus manually. Two or three clicks down from infinity focus. The GRIII easily covers this from the images people are posting. Thanks for contributing.

---------- Post added 04-01-19 at 10:39 AM ----------

from f4 to f5,6, rarely f8
Thanks for the real world ISO images you posted. The files show they are a leap forward from the GRII.
04-01-2019, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All photos except the last one needed minor exposure and contrast adjustments due to consistent underexposure of about 1 stop. Finally, I just set it on fully automatic and results immediately improved. I’d been playing around with the settings last night, so probably something got messed up. Anyway, definitely impressed with the results.

The biggest problem I’m having is that the screen is pretty much useless outside in bright light; mostly I just point in the general direction and hope for the best. I’m wondering if anyone has tried the optical view finder and if it’s worth blowing $250 on one.
Attached Images

04-02-2019, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeggyR Quote
I’m wondering if anyone has tried the optical view finder and if it’s worth blowing $250 on one.
I received an optical viewfinder 21/28 мм as a gift to the camera. It was given to the first orders.

It is useful, especially considering that I also have a 21 mm converter.but clearly not at its price of 250 dollars...

---------- Post added 04-02-19 at 12:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PeggyR Quote
The biggest problem I’m having is that the screen is pretty much useless outside in bright light
This is strange. Try the maximum screen brightness, it is adjustable through the lever "adj".
04-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I received an optical viewfinder 21/28 мм as a gift to the camera. It was given to the first orders.

It is useful, especially considering that I also have a 21 mm converter.but clearly not at its price of 250 dollars...

---------- Post added 04-02-19 at 12:56 AM ----------

This is strange. Try the maximum screen brightness, it is adjustable through the lever "adj".
Thanks for the advice; I'll give that a try. Still working my way through the manual, so lots to learn.

I'm not too impressed with the battery life: after a full charge, shot about 200 frames, battery was down to 3/4 full. I have an external recharger + extra batteries on order. On the plus side, they do seem to recharge quickly.

Also, the ring cap doesn't snap on securely and frequently falls off when the camera is removed from its case. I don't plan to get a lens adapter so not too worried, but still, it's annoying.

Anyway, loving my new toy.
04-02-2019, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I just ordered mine with an extra battery. Looking forward to finally owning a GR.
04-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

aaacb your vertical image of the mountain range at ƒ11 really shows how nice the lens renders like the eye sees. Was this image a crop also? Your image of the Man on the street is what people are looking for in a "street" camera. I would love to see the full image.
Thanks The vertical bw landscape isn't cropped. The one with the man walking is only cropped at the bottom, it has the full width; I didn't upload the full image because I like it better like this.
04-02-2019, 04:59 PM - 4 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm just starting to get a handle on mine. The menus are dense and the features are many.

Nothing wrong with the lens though