04-02-2019, 06:04 PM - 3 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's one from a hike today 1/125 sec, f 5.6:

04-02-2019, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here's one in macro mode at f6.3 (raw "developed" in darktable with just minor adjustments). It's iso 800 because I had my settings for zone focusing at small apertures and forgot to change settings

And more people, f5.6 with snap focus, cropped to 10:8 from a vertical frame (full width)

04-03-2019, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
More OOC JPEGs on the 'Soft B&W' setting:

04-03-2019, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

May sound like a silly question - I'm contemplating buying a GR-III - are these settings locked in at the time you take the picture or can you apply different ones afterwards?

04-03-2019, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
May sound like a silly question - I'm contemplating buying a GR-III - are these settings locked in at the time you take the picture or can you apply different ones afterwards?
The GR shoots DNG raw files. And similar to Pentax cameras, you can develop in-camera. So even if you don't want to process raw on a computer, you could develop raw files with different jpeg settings after the fact by shooting raw or raw+jpeg. I only looked at the settings, and they are more flexible than what my k3ii offers, don't know how they compare to newer dslrs.
04-03-2019, 05:25 PM - 3 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Street Camera? We don't need no stinkin' streets!

04-04-2019, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #37
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The GR shoots DNG raw files. And similar to Pentax cameras, you can develop in-camera. So even if you don't want to process raw on a computer, you could develop raw files with different jpeg settings after the fact by shooting raw or raw+jpeg. I only looked at the settings, and they are more flexible than what my k3ii offers, don't know how they compare to newer dslrs.
Yep, raw+jpeg is the way to do it; I pick the preset I think I want to use, and this will, of course, be applied to the jpeg. Then, optionally, I can try different settings on the raw file to see if I find something I like better. E.g. I quite often like to lift the exposure a bit if I use the high-contrast b&w setting. When applied, this will create another jpeg.

I spent the first month with my GR (classic) doing only in-camera development (the Daily in August Challenge 2016, looks like). It was a good way to get to know the menus and all the configuration options available - and there are a lot of them!

04-04-2019, 02:21 PM - 4 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Got mine today. This is a pretty major cropped photo of my dog. That lens is super sharp.

Some synths around the house:

04-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #39
ne!
Forum Member

Nice Buchla! (and pics)
04-04-2019, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

3 shots of the same subject from today using 3 different B&W presets showing the effect of each.

1) Soft B&W. It is soft, low-ish contrast...easy to get a landscape in DR even on a high contrast day like today was. I like this one for land/seascapes and it would probably be nice for portraits.

2) Hard B&W. Much higher contrast with a lot of what LR would call structure. It's more of a struggle to prevent blowing highlights - I use highlight priority exposure mode and the result is deep shadows, or to use exposure comp to blow highlights (or dig into options to boost shadows). You can also see some fairly obvious sharpening artefacts as a result of the structure boost, but this could be dialled down a bit if you wish. This would be better suited to street, but it's nice for gritty sinister looking landscapes.

3) Hi Contrast B&W. Deeper and harder contrast. Almost impossible to prevent blowing highlights without rendering shadows in silhouette. This is the only preset that the 'grain' option is enabled - this option can't be turned on or off at will, only by selecting the preset or not. This is a little disappointing, I would like to select it when I want and I would like more control over the amount and type...hopefully that will come in future.

04-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
Nice Buchla! (and pics)
The buchla is a blast for sure.
04-04-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
Street Camera? We don't need no stinkin' streets!
Talk to Polaris and show them this image. They might want this for a brochure image. I assisted a pro back in 2005-2006 for a Kawasaki quad shoot. He got paid big money and his images were no better than your image. As a matter of fact there is something organic and real about your shot that was lacking with his images. Good job.
04-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
3 shots of the same subject from today using 3 different B&W presets showing the effect of each.

1) Soft B&W. It is soft, low-ish contrast...easy to get a landscape in DR even on a high contrast day like today was. I like this one for land/seascapes and it would probably be nice for portraits.

2) Hard B&W. Much higher contrast with a lot of what LR would call structure. It's more of a struggle to prevent blowing highlights - I use highlight priority exposure mode and the result is deep shadows, or to use exposure comp to blow highlights (or dig into options to boost shadows). You can also see some fairly obvious sharpening artefacts as a result of the structure boost, but this could be dialled down a bit if you wish. This would be better suited to street, but it's nice for gritty sinister looking landscapes.

3) Hi Contrast B&W. Deeper and harder contrast. Almost impossible to prevent blowing highlights without rendering shadows in silhouette. This is the only preset that the 'grain' option is enabled - this option can't be turned on or off at will, only by selecting the preset or not. This is a little disappointing, I would like to select it when I want and I would like more control over the amount and type...hopefully that will come in future.
I've been loving the additional B&W options in-camera. And they're all very nicely done. Great subject shot for showing examples of them.
04-04-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Talk to Polaris and show them this image. They might want this for a brochure image. I assisted a pro back in 2005-2006 for a Kawasaki quad shoot. He got paid big money and his images were no better than your image. As a matter of fact there is something organic and real about your shot that was lacking with his images. Good job.
Thanks for saying that. Here's a shot that shows the GR III lens is sharp as a thorn!

04-05-2019, 05:50 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Thanks aacb and savoche

Picked up my GR III yesterday - very nice in the hand, still working through the controls.

The store didn't have the Ricoh external viewfinder in stock. I bought a Fujififilm 21/28mm viewfinder. It looks pretty much identical to the Ricoh version, is less expensive, bright, and fits and works well. At the same time I would like to get rid of the Fuji logo!.
I took a look at the 21mm wider angle attachment. It is large and heavy - seemed heavier than the camera itself with a lot of glass. Not really in keeping with the compact and stealthy character of the camera.
I turned down the screen protector but will probably get one as this camera will spend a lot more time in my pocket than my K-3!
I'll post pics as I build up my confidence.