Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2964 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2020, 04:52 PM - 12 Likes   #751
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Took my GR III on a dog walk this evening.

I always do anyway but this time a backlit yellow leaf caught my eye so I whipped it out. One at f2.8 and the other at f8.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
10-11-2020, 05:42 PM - 2 Likes   #752
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

with wide angle converter, processed in darktable
10-13-2020, 11:35 AM - 3 Likes   #753
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With wide angle adaptor

10-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #754
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quick question to the GW-1 owners. Did anyone notice some softness being introduced with it attached? Not talking about extreme corners, like center frame. I bought one a while back, I am very very happy with the GRIII lens in terms of sharpness, but I think it's not as razor sharp with the wide adapter attached.

10-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #755
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
I always do anyway but this time a backlit yellow leaf caught my eye so I whipped it out. One at f2.8 and the other at f8.
Nice. Having studied both shots for a while, I decided I preferred the f/2.8 shot because the leaf was isolated so well.
10-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #756
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Nice. Having studied both shots for a while, I decided I preferred the f/2.8 shot because the leaf was isolated so well.
Thanks. I was hoping for some feedback on that. I do, too, even though the bottom edge of the leaf is slightly out of focus. i had to set the GR III right on the sidewalk And because I’m not as limber as I once was did not have the best view on the screen.
10-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #757
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Quick question to the GW-1 owners. Did anyone notice some softness being introduced with it attached? Not talking about extreme corners, like center frame. I bought one a while back, I am very very happy with the GRIII lens in terms of sharpness, but I think it's not as razor sharp with the wide adapter attached.
Don't judge that by my shot above - I only noticed afterwards that the settings were all wrong but I liked the shot anyway. Generally I'm very satisfied with the sharpness.

10-14-2020, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Perfessor5646 Quote
Thanks. I was hoping for some feedback on that. I do, too, even though the bottom edge of the leaf is slightly out of focus. i had to set the GR III right on the sidewalk And because I’m not as limber as I once was did not have the best view on the screen.
The leaf is curled so you were never going to get it all in focus at f2.8.

I empathise with your lack of limber. I'm the same now, I can get down quite easily but getting up again takes more effort. This has a tenuous link to my GRIII ownership. My DSLR is a 7 year old FF Canon EOS 6D. It has great IQ and I have a few sharp lenses for it but recently I was close to replacing it with one of Canon's new mirrorless cameras. A major factor was the articulated screen which would make it a bit easier for those shots on the ground but thinking about it for a while, I realised that I still would have to get on my knees for the shot. So I kept the trusty EOS 6D and bought the GRIII.... something I don't regret in the slightest. The IQ is almost, but not quite as good as my FF DSLR but God is it so much easier to carry around and so much less intrusive for street use
10-18-2020, 11:57 PM - 3 Likes   #759

My home village of Rhos on Sea floating between the autumnal trees

10-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #760
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Don't judge that by my shot above - I only noticed afterwards that the settings were all wrong but I liked the shot anyway. Generally I'm very satisfied with the sharpness.
But the sharpness is reduced some with it attached correct? Overall I don't find it unusable or anything like that, I just noticed that the GRIII lens feels sharper on its own.
10-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #761
Pentaxian

But the sharpness is reduced some with it attached correct? Overall I don't find it unusable or anything like that, I just noticed that the GRIII lens feels sharper on its own.
Any additional glass, even a good quality UV filter in front of your lens, will affect your IQ to some extent.
10-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #762
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Any additional glass, even a good quality UV filter in front of your lens, will affect your IQ to some extent.
Yup that's what I thought
10-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #763
Pentaxian

Quick question to the GW-1 owners.
Just to confirm, are you talking about the GW-4? That's the correct wide angle converter version for the GRIII. I haven't done side by side tests, but no, I've never noticed obvious softness, just checked a few images in my library. I tend to shoot at f4 or f5.6 with it for depth of field, I don't think I've got one shot at f2.8 to check. I do wonder how much the alignment between converter and the camera changes over time, since the adapter and bayonet on the camera are plastic, and if that can degrade image quality.
10-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Just to confirm, are you talking about the GW-4? That's the correct wide angle converter version for the GRIII. I haven't done side by side tests, but no, I've never noticed obvious softness, just checked a few images in my library. I tend to shoot at f4 or f5.6 with it for depth of field, I don't think I've got one shot at f2.8 to check. I do wonder how much the alignment between converter and the camera changes over time, since the adapter and bayonet on the camera are plastic, and if that can degrade image quality.
Yup gw-4, my bad. I shot at f4 all the way to f11 (I'm guessing diffraction would be in effect around f11-16), on a tripod. At around f8 it feels the sharpest to me. But still a bit softer than just the GRIII.
10-23-2020, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #765
Pentaxian

Last edited by aaacb; 10-23-2020 at 06:10 PM.