Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 08:51 PM - 3 Likes   #931
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A rare snow weekend in Tacoma, WA

My dog is much faster than I thought! While I don't rely on the GRiii an action camera, it captured a good memory of a very happy dog

Birding without the bird...

02-16-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #932
Pentaxian

Original Poster
all with wide-converter

02-19-2021, 10:44 AM - 2 Likes   #933
Pentaxian

Original Poster
all with wide-converter

02-21-2021, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #934
Pentaxian

Original Poster

with wide-converter:

02-21-2021, 11:11 AM - 3 Likes   #935
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Colour (from RAW) and hard B&W for comparison

02-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #936
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Jacamar: I've noticed this grainy effect in skies with Hard B&W, it looks like film - but it isn't there in the colour version. Do we have any control over it?
And it appears to be the same picture, not one setting shot twice. As a new GR owner, how do you convert an image shot in colour afterwards with Ricoh's settings?
02-21-2021, 06:06 PM   #937
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
@Jacamar: I've noticed this grainy effect in skies with Hard B&W, it looks like film - but it isn't there in the colour version. Do we have any control over it?
And it appears to be the same picture, not one setting shot twice. As a new GR owner, how do you convert an image shot in colour afterwards with Ricoh's settings?
It's not film grain, or the inbuilt grain look, it's more of a by-product of the way the color filter embedded in hard B&W affects blues. I think it's actually posterization of some sort.

02-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #938
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
It's not film grain, or the inbuilt grain look, it's more of a by-product of the way the color filter embedded in hard B&W affects blues. I think it's actually posterization of some sort.
Hi Smolk and Agent L. It was one shot - in RAW+ so I converted the RAW shot to jpeg in colour and provided the jpeg file separately (I know the cropping is slightly different). I have noticed some abberations in the jpeg files like fringing on some of the other shots posted here if you enlarge them (e.g. tree branches against the sky), and the "grain" would be another example. I posted another comparison a few months ago. Still, I'm pleased overall with the hard B&W setting - I do minor adjustments in Photoshop Elements.

Last edited by jacamar; 02-21-2021 at 07:43 PM.
02-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #939
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Hi Smolk and Agent L. It was one shot - in RAW+ so I converted the RAW shot to jpeg in colour and provided the jpeg file separately (I know the cropping is slightly different). I have noticed some abberations in the jpeg files like fringing on some of the other shots posted here if you enlarge them (e.g. tree branches against the sky), and the "grain" would be another example. I posted another comparison a few months ago. Still, I'm pleased overall with the hard B&W setting - I do minor adjustments in Photoshop Elements.
this is a beginner's question (I'm new to digital, shooting 6x6 and other ratios on film until, well, 10 days ago apart from a brief flirtation with Sigma Foveon): how did you convert a colour image to B&W? Is there a procedure in camera, or do you use software?
02-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the setting for storing images on the GR III is set at RAW+, and you are in a B&W image setting you get two files - a B&W image (which will incorporate the hi-contrast or hard B&W etc. settings) in jpeg and a RAW image that opens in colour (or at least it does in my Photoshop Elements). I can work with the B&W image with Ricoh's settings in Elements or or go to the RAW file and work with the colour image, then open that image in Elements and further develop the colour image or convert to black and white. (I have the Nik Collection/ Siver Efex which was free at the time I downloaded it but isn't now, but it does give you more options than Elements).
I'm not a super-expert, I'm just letting you know what has worked for me so far. Hope this helps - any other questions are welcome.
02-23-2021, 06:00 AM   #941
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
If the setting for storing images on the GR III is set at RAW+, and you are in a B&W image setting you get two files - a B&W image (which will incorporate the hi-contrast or hard B&W etc. settings) in jpeg and a RAW image that opens in colour (or at least it does in my Photoshop Elements). I can work with the B&W image with Ricoh's settings in Elements or or go to the RAW file and work with the colour image, then open that image in Elements and further develop the colour image or convert to black and white. (I have the Nik Collection/ Siver Efex which was free at the time I downloaded it but isn't now, but it does give you more options than Elements).
I'm not a super-expert, I'm just letting you know what has worked for me so far. Hope this helps - any other questions are welcome.
Thanks - I understand now. I have an old copy of Capture One laying around but nothing else. I'll play with it. The image quality is so good and the size so small that I take it with me far more than any other camera.
02-23-2021, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #942
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is a beginner's question (I'm new to digital, shooting 6x6 and other ratios on film until, well, 10 days ago apart from a brief flirtation with Sigma Foveon): how did you convert a colour image to B&W? Is there a procedure in camera, or do you use software?
I actually shoot RAW only most of the time with the GR III, and convert files to JPEG in-camera. You just select RAW processing from the playback menu, pick the file, and there is a wide variety of settings available: overall exposure +/-, shadow recovery, WB, JPEG style... and then within the JPEG style you have a further set of parameters like contrast, saturation, hi/low key, highlight contrast, shadow contrast, tint, grain (on some styles), B&W color filter effect (not available on Hard B&W but can be applied to regular, soft and hi-contrast styles. You even have custom control over the R,G and B sliders to tune your own color filter effect.

The GR III is pretty powerful with its JPEG engine, it has pushed me hard in the direction of processing most of my shots in-camera, unless hefty editing needs to be done to a very difficult file.
02-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #943
Pentaxian

That explains a lot - and looks like a method I'd like to experiment with. I don't shoot that much usually so I tend to shoot Raw + JPEG, but I had not yet discovered the trick of in-camera conversions.
02-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #944
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That explains a lot - and looks like a method I'd like to experiment with. I don't shoot that much usually so I tend to shoot Raw + JPEG, but I had not yet discovered the trick of in-camera conversions.
all in-camera conversions are inherently crutches.
RAW forever
02-25-2021, 12:55 AM - 3 Likes   #945
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After the snowfall almost summer