Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nonpedestrian Quote
N E one else experiencing? I am GRiii owner, maybe 200 actuations, have not experienced.
With respect to the OP, he has some history of negative commentary towards Ricoh / Pentax, despite using some of its products. His broad statement "I think no QC for cameras of mass production" should influence the level of credibility we each attribute to the "issues" at this stage.

We have a small few users in these forums who will jump on every tiny negative aspect with Ricoh / Pentax cameras and, unfortunately, make a big deal about them. I'm not claiming this is the OP's motivation, but would advise that you don't worry and simply enjoy your fine new camera. In the unlikely event that there are any genuine problems, your warranty will cover you. But let's not forget, this is a camera that has been through a long design process and tested thoroughly before making it to final production...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-27-2019 at 07:04 PM.
03-27-2019, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But let's not forget, this is a camera that has been through a long design process and tested thoroughly before making it to final production...
According to the OPīs infinite wisdom, there is not QC in Ricoh....
03-27-2019, 07:16 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

ďAs you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the holeĒ...
I like that...think it will become my guiding principle in life !
03-27-2019, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Is this really what we've come to?

Are we truly worrying over the tiniest wobble of a part that is clearly of floating construction (i.e. not cemented or directly attached to the body), and a very slight gap difference between the lens tube and the body's lens opening?? Maybe we should complain about every camera button that has a little play in it... every lens that doesn't look mechanically centred, yet produces perfectly good images? For goodness sake...

If we should start to see multiple reported problems with the very-slightly-wobbling part (i.e. it falls off or interferes with operation), or repeated issues with image quality due to a lens that isn't properly aligned with the sensor, then (and only then) I think we can validly question build quality. Until then, please... let's not be silly, eh?

Some folks will find a problem with anything and everything... <Astounded>

Heads up to those who would believe otherwise... Nothing is perfect.

ďAs you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the holeĒ...
Awwww come on now, Mike, the OP is just trying to be relevant........although he has no personal experience with the GRIII at all. You nailed the description of the part as floating since its sitting on top of the joy stick.

03-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You nailed the description of the part as floating since its sitting on top of the joy stick.
Dang! Joysticks are flexible mounted and tend to allow twist at their base. The joystick on my laptop keyboard allows a full 45į twist in both directions.

Steve
03-27-2019, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

We have a small few users in these forums who will jump on every tiny negative aspect with Ricoh / Pentax cameras and, unfortunately, make a big deal about them.
The same is apparently true over at DPR. I read through the comments on the pertinent threads over there and noticed a couple of people who admit never having seen the camera, but who persist in apparent trolling. When existing threads started to peter out, one of those people actually started a new one singing the same tune.

At least we have strong moderation here at Pentax Forums and also space that appeals to the negative element where they tend to hang out.

BTW...I saw that Ned Bunnell posted that he is very pleased with his GRIII.

Steve
03-28-2019, 12:46 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Well, my GR III has a wobbly button as well. I consider this As Designed, and pretty typical of a joystick as noted here repeatedly. It works fine. AFAIK nothing to worry about... Esp since the GR III impresses me with it's general build quality...

Wim
03-28-2019, 03:40 AM   #23
JPT
Pentaxian

I think this is true of all the GR IIIs Iíve seen so far, including the one on display in the Ricoh showroom in Tokyo. It detracts a bit from the camera, but isnít a critical issue.

What I observed is that as you rotate the wheel left and right, the up-down-left-right buttons inside rotate about a millimeter with it each way. If nobody had told you, you might not think anything of it. Another small issue with those controls is that the wheel acts as a ridge around the buttons, meaning you need more precision to activate the buttons inside. Itís just more fiddly than it was before and I donít think that extra wheel was needed in the first place.

However, I donít think its that much of an issue, because there are two other wheels to use, as well as the touch screen, which makes the direction pad buttons redundant for navigating the menus.

There are certainly a couple of blatant trolls over at DPR trying to make out this is a serious problem. One of them has been making stupid criticisms of the camera for months without having been anywhere near one, and was winding people up for months before it was even announced. Itís a bizarre thing to want to do with your free time, isnít it?

03-28-2019, 04:20 AM   #24
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There are certainly a couple of blatant trolls over at DPR trying to make out this is a serious problem. One of them has been making stupid criticisms of the camera for months without having been anywhere near one, and was winding people up for months before it was even announced. Itís a bizarre thing to want to do with your free time, isnít it?
I've seen some of the DPR posts. Those by a certain "James Bligh" have a quite recognisable and regional style of writing and expression...
03-28-2019, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #25
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There are certainly a couple of blatant trolls over at DPR trying to make out this is a serious problem. One of them has been making stupid criticisms of the camera for months without having been anywhere near one, and was winding people up for months before it was even announced. It’s a bizarre thing to want to do with your free time, isn’t it?
Only if you’re not paid to do it.
03-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #26

I just picked up a GRlll as well and I think this is normal operation. Nothing to worry about.
03-28-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #27
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Build quality of GRIII - the problem of wobbly control dial
How many have failed so far?

Does yours still work??
03-28-2019, 09:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How many have failed so far?

Does yours still work??
It would still work if he had one.
03-28-2019, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

I have a GR III, and I don't doubt the build quality one bit. I have a four year insurance just because I use my cameras a lot, not because I expect it to fail. But yes it's easy to amplify some impression based on a couple of pictures. Yes, I can turn the dial around the four way switch and have the inner button turn a little when I change the direction in which in turning the dial, wondering how else would that otherwise common design work. Does it affect durability? Time will tell, but I don't have concerns. Do I go with a protractor measuring button angles? I don't.
03-29-2019, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #30
JPT
Pentaxian

It looks like Ricoh acknowledges the issue with the rotational play in the control dial and is addressing it.

Japanese announcement:
?????????????RICOH GR III???????????????RICOH IMAGING

English translation:
Google Translate