Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2019, 08:17 AM   #31
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It looks like Ricoh acknowledges the issue with the rotational play in the control dial and is addressing it.
That's great that they're acknowledging and dealing with it, for those whose units are affected. That's the sort of quick and open response we should expect.

Interestingly, that statement also confirms what most of us thought... that the part in question is designed to have some "play" in it.

03-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine falls in the first serial number range. Still not sure I want to send it in for something like this, maybe they're overcautious with the ranges they post but not all units are certain to have the issue? Mine looks fine to me...
03-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It looks like Ricoh acknowledges the issue with the rotational play in the control dial and is addressing it.

Japanese announcement:
?????????????RICOH GR III???????????????RICOH IMAGING

English translation:
Google Translate
Unfortunately, the English language version of this announcement has not yet been posted. The Google translation is rather cryptic in places, but seems to indicate an alignment issue rather than "wobble". It will be interesting to see the "how to check" page once it goes live on the 8th.

Does it read "wobble" to you?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2019 at 10:08 AM.
03-29-2019, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

I don't speak Japanese, so I'm basing this on the translation, and it's my own speculation/interpretation: there's some wobble/play in the round dial with ISO etc by design. Some cameras have that round dial misaligned i.e. the middle position is not aligned with the camera body, which makes the play show a more obvious tilt.
This is at least how it looks on my camera, at one end of the "wobble" the icons on the dial are aligned more or less with the camera body, at the other it's slightly tilted as shown in the gifs posted earlier.
If the English version indeed confirms what the translation says, that it's just a cosmetic thing with no impact on performance (and that it makes sense to me), I'm probably not going to send it in.

03-29-2019, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I don't speak Japanese, so I'm basing this on the translation, and it's my own speculation/interpretation: there's some wobble/play in the round dial with ISO etc by design. Some cameras have that round dial misaligned i.e. the middle position is not aligned with the camera body, which makes the play show a more obvious tilt.
This is at least how it looks on my camera, at one end of the "wobble" the icons on the dial are aligned more or less with the camera body, at the other it's slightly tilted as shown in the gifs posted earlier.
If the English version indeed confirms what the translation says, that it's just a cosmetic thing with no impact on performance (and that it makes sense to me), I'm probably not going to send it in.
I can't remember whether it's my K-5 or K-3II where the "INFO" button is tilted at a noticeable angle off true horizontal (it's not my K-3, as that's here on my desk right now). I can turn it back into place with my thumb, but it always ends up a few degrees off horizontal. And every time I press it, it does what it's supposed to do.

On my Hasselblad HV, it took several weeks of occasional use for the shutter button to loosen up and stop sticking. It now works perfectly. But every Sony A-mount lens I fit to it, once locked into place, has several degrees of easy rotation against the mount, unlike the super-tight fit of my K-mount glass on my K-5, K-3 and K-3II. It doesn't affect shooting at all... though it was a little weird and surprising, given the price of the camera. I got on with shooting and quickly forgot about it.

My recently-purchased top-of-the-line HP mobile workstation, with its 600 nits 100% AdobeRGB 4K display, has a little uneven light-bleed along the very edges and corners of the display which is visible when the brightness is turned right up in a dimly-lit room. Of course, at sensible brightness settings in a normally lit room, it looks just fine. Better than fine, actually.

The driver's seatbelt in my 4x4 doesn't spring back into place as fast and surely as the front passenger side one does. It never has. Then again, the front passenger side electric window is slower in operation than the driver's side. And the washer for the rear screen takes about three seconds to pump water through from the tank, even though the wiper blade starts up immediately, so if there's dust or grit on that rear window, it gets scraped against the glass until the water washes it away. And you know what? The car drives just fine, on and off-road.

The IF shift on my Yaesu ham radio transceiver is slightly mis-calibrated, so instead of being correct in its notched position, I need to set it at "one o'clock" to get the same results on both upper and lower sideband reception (this will only mean something to radio amateurs). Aside from that, it works superbly.

The physical volume control on my Android-based walkie-talkie network radio transceiver is jumpy and sometimes reverses up/down direction of adjustment - a clear firmware or software glitch, since setting the volume level manually on screen works perfectly. But I can work around that, and the radio is excellent in every other way.

I could go on... and on...

My point, to anyone who might be worried by this tiny acknowledged issue, is... It's rare that any complex device these days is perfect. The GRIII might be an expensive fixed lens camera to some, but considering all of the technology, the lens, the build materials etc., it's really not expensive for what it is. Not compared to a $30k car that will likely show just as many (and probably more) design and QA issues...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.
03-29-2019, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #36
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Outraged, this was expensive!

... Oh, different manufacturer, sorry.

As for the translation, Google thing is ok, Ricoh doesn't say wobble, it's talking about tilt (i.e. horizontal not being quite horizontal) but it also says there's a rotational tolerance. Whether they're talking about how much you can rotate or the "tilt" angle at the neutral position or both is anybody's guess.
Attached Images

03-29-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
but considering all of the technology, the lens, the build materials etc., it's really not expensive for what it is
Hope I'm not too off topic here, but thought I'd try to exemplify your statement with this photo. It's my k3ii with the da 21 limited, side by side with the gr iii Of course they're not equivalent setups, and my k3ii and corresponding lenses are here to stay
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
03-29-2019, 03:03 PM - 2 Likes   #38
On Hiatus. Back Later.
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote

As for the translation, Google thing is ok, Ricoh doesn't say wobble, it's talking about tilt (i.e. horizontal not being quite horizontal) but it also says there's a rotational tolerance. Whether they're talking about how much you can rotate or the "tilt" angle at the neutral position or both is anybody's guess.
What kind of person raises a stink about that little twist? Good grief. Get a life and go shoot.

FWIW, once I’ve sold down a bunch of excess gear and my old GR I’m getting this camera.

* after reading I want to make it clear I am not pointing this at kwb.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-29-2019 at 03:10 PM.
03-29-2019, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote

It's off-center too!

The fun thing is how easy it is to fake this sort of animation with almost any raster editor. I was thinking of doing one with the 4-way controller on my K-3 spinning wildly, ala The Exorcist

Steve

(...bobble-head lens mount?...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-29-2019 at 03:47 PM.
03-29-2019, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking of doing one with the 4-way controller on my K-3 spinning wildly, ala The Exorcist

Steve

(...bobble-head lens mount?...)
And then some TROLL would "Discover" the K-3 defect after watching your video and proclaim another K-3 problem popping up after 6 years and we would never hear the end of it.
03-29-2019, 11:22 PM   #41
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What kind of person raises a stink about that little twist? Good grief. Get a life and go shoot.

FWIW, once Iíve sold down a bunch of excess gear and my old GR Iím getting this camera.

* after reading I want to make it clear I am not pointing this at kwb.
No worries, it was clear, didn't take it that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It's off-center too!
I laughed so hard!
03-30-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not going to read this whole thread, just wanted to report that my GRIII dial *does* exhibit this "wobble" and slight misalignment (and falls within effect serials).
Meh. Don't care. Not worth any fuss.

To be honest, it bothered me just a bit at first but after poking and prodding and using (I didn't search out if others had experienced this) I just determined on my own that it may be by design to have some play/give perhaps. I'd no idea... But I do know it doesn't seem to be an issue in practice and I've since forgotten about it. It isn't the dial itself that wobbles, just the small plastic plate that designates the functions of each dial-pad position. It's not a "thing".

Last edited by chickentender; 03-30-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: clarity
03-30-2019, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had my GR III for a couple of days now and I love it. I'm not sure I really understand what the problem is. My control dial seems to move as it should - everything works fine. Love the image quality!
03-30-2019, 11:53 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

The person who made the video should be worried about how dirty the screen is, or is that what this is about? The screen picks up dirt.
03-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With Ricoh announcing an issue exists, exactly as ogl originally presented it, people here should be less enthusiastic in future about 'shooting the messenger'.