Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "button" is a part of the wheel molding and will naturally rotate when the wheel rotates just a bit. If they are all made this way your chances of getting one that the wheel is rock steady is going to be tough. I would use the camera and not worry too much about it or at least use it a bit to get the feel of the wheel and button operation then send it back it its unsatisfactory.
I wouldn't mind it if it's just small movement. Mine was good 15-20 degrees turn which made me question the longevity. I don't really want to test it out for multiple days and risk damaging the unit some how (dropping it, getting stuff on it etc) and end up not being able to return/exchange the unit. I played with it enough for the day I had it to know that I want to add this to my travel bag anyway, so I might as well try to get a better unit.

Last edited by ruggiex; 04-03-2019 at 07:30 AM.
04-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #92
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I wouldn't mind it if it's just small movement. Mine was good 15-20 degrees turn which made me question the longevity. I don't really want to test it out for multiple days and risk damaging the unit some how (dropping it, getting stuff on it etc) and end up not being able to return/exchange the unit. I played with it enough for the day I had it to know that I want to add this to my travel bag anyway, so I might as well try to get a better unit.
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that it could be such a huge play and that it happened to you. Animated gif in the OP's post is like 5 degrees, which might bother some or maybe many, but yours is 3 to 4 times worse, that should be a defect for any reasonable person.

I don't own GRIII and probably won't, but if I do buy an affected unit that is not as bad as ruggiex's case, I would still send it back anyway even if it doesn't bother me that much (but it might be a bother after all, it's hard to tell without paying real money ). My line of thinking is that Ricoh thinks that 5 degrees or 3 or whatever is not up to the high standard they have, and they're ready to fix it for a range of S/N, they say please give us a chance to rectify, so give them that chance.
04-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #93
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
The amount of rotation I see in the videos probably wouldn't bother me, but without owning one, I can't honestly say. 15-20 degrees of rotation would definitely bother me, though
04-03-2019, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine does this and...until I saw these threads...I never noticed it. It's quite a degree of movement, I'm not getting my protractor out, but it's significant. BUT...only if I make a concerted effort to grab the centre part of the dial...using it 'normally' has no effect and anyway it doesn't affect the operation of the dial.

Not convinced I would normally go for an exchange, but since I still have my GRII to use and there's a niggling doubt that it might one day fall off (and maybe be out of warranty when it does) I will probably take them up on it. Once there is stock again, that is...and that might coincide with them pulling their finger out and releasing the app.

Edit: Ricoh UK has also released the statement, including advice for repairs...commencing end of April and taking a week from receipt.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/news/7772/news.html

Last edited by victormeldrew; 04-03-2019 at 02:33 PM.
04-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #95
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
frankly, not something worthy of a thread here.
Wouldn’t this forum to be the place on internet to find all relevant information about products coming from Ricoh-Imaging? Since the thread is about an issue recogniced by Ricoh-Imaging. .......that makes the thread very relevant.
04-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #96
Veteran Member

The GRIII on display at B&H in Manhattan after being handled by probably tens of thousands of people over the course of several weeks the four way controller is in that permanent tilt position. It didn't effect the operation. Other than that it was in great shape for the amount of hands a B&H display model sees.
04-05-2019, 02:04 PM - 2 Likes   #97
Veteran Member

I going to leave mine as is so that, you know, it'll be a collector's item one day.

04-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #98

Just received today from B&H a GR III. It is in the Ricoh call back serial numbers group. B&H didn't have a clue about recall serial numbers.
The Control button is tilted and has a lot of wobble. Sending it back, but I am extreamely disappointed in B&H and Ricoh.
How did this get sent after weeks of knowing which cameras had problems.

An Avid GR user 8-(
04-06-2019, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #99
JPT
Pentaxian

I just went to some shops in Tokyo to look at the GR IIIs they have on display. They must have been changed because they don’t have the same degree of rotational movement that I saw before. There is still a tiny bit, but it’s not bothersome at all.

I wondered how other brands compare, so I took a look at other compacts. In fact it was only Canon I could find with a similar arrangement of directional buttons within a rotating dial. In the case of Canon, there is no wobble at all. In fact it is very tight, the ring is not raised much and it’s difficult to grip and move move the dial around smoothly. It is quite easy to rotate the GR’s dial in comparison to the Canon.

Actually, the GR III’s dial feels more similar to the Sony RX100 dial, but the RX100 cameras have only a single unmarked button in the center. If you look really carefully, you can see the RX100 center button rotating with the dial at least as much as the GR, but since the button is featureless, you don’t notice it.

All this made me think that Ricoh has thought about it and made a good compromise between stiffness and ease of use. Where its beyond tolerances, they’ve recalled.
04-06-2019, 05:00 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Read the notice here Ricoh GR III Service Notice - Product Updates | PentaxForums.com
It matches what the translation said, that it affects nothing aside from how it looks. They offer 3 extra months of warranty.
For the sake of extra warranty, I put my email in, waiting to see what instructions they send for repairs. But since mine has very little movement compared to others I've read about, I'm not mailing it to a service center.
04-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The link on that page for the extended warranty registration does not work for me. Anyone else?
04-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
The link on that page for the extended warranty registration does not work for me. Anyone else?
It was working before, not now when I tried it again. Maybe their page went down because of too many requests. All pages under https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/ seem to say "disk full", so it's a hosting issue.
04-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
It was working before, not now when I tried it again. Maybe their page went down because of too many requests. All pages under https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/ seem to say "disk full", so it's a hosting issue.
Same here. I filled out the extended warranty information early yesterday morning or the day before and it was submitted successfully (I did not use the repair request form). Seems the entire site is down currently as you said. Frankly I'm not going to bother with the servicing unless it becomes more pronounced - I've a year and 3 months to keep tabs on it which was a nice gesture on their part I'd say.
04-06-2019, 07:51 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not going to bother with service either, but I won’t turn down 90 extra days of warranty!
04-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #105
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phOtOny teXas Quote
I am extreamely disappointed in B&H and Ricoh.
QuoteOriginally posted by phOtOny teXas Quote
How did this get sent after weeks of knowing which cameras had problems.
Weeks? (Japan notice posted 29 March 2019)

Steve