Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2019, 12:47 AM - 3 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked, and Oh. My. God! Mine wobbles too!!

Clearly I'll have to delete all the nice images I have already made. They must have been a figment of my imagination.
And I'd better not carry it with me everywhere anymore. Lord knows what might happen if it explodes in my pocket.

Ricoh is DOOOOOOMED!!!!

04-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandy hancock Quote
i just checked, and oh. My. God! Mine wobbles too!!

Clearly i'll have to delete all the nice images i have already made. They must have been a figment of my imagination.
And i'd better not carry it with me everywhere anymore. Lord knows what might happen if it explodes in my pocket.

Ricoh is doooooomed!!!!
abandon all hope!
04-07-2019, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
abandon all hope!
The mother ship is aflame and plunging to the desert floor below...

Steve
04-11-2019, 06:18 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have completed the registration for extended warranty but have not heard anything back from Ricoh. Is that normal? Has anyone received any conformation of the extended warranty?

04-11-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #110
Veteran Member

Update: I returned my original GRIII at B&H for one just out of the serial number range

made sure to get it shipped to the NYC store to compare it side by side with the original and the conclusion is that the 'new' one does wobble less and feels better. there IS still a little bit of play but it is less than the original when it first came out of the box. I remember being immediately disappointed when I first opened the first one, so it wasn't use.

let's be clear, we're probably talking about a 1mm vs 2mm of play here, but on an expensive piece of gear ostensibly refined over decades, it does makes a difference. will it get looser with use? time will tell, but at the very least Ricoh is aware of *the perception* of a problem and are doing something about it quickly, so I ultimately applaud them. in lieu of being more careful from the beginning with such a highly priced and praised piece of gear they actively market as revered.
04-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Hopefully refurbished models with fixed wobble dials will hit the market with a reduced price point
I really want one, but right now with my move to another state I just have to hold off on any major purchases until I settle in here
04-17-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well...I changed my mind about either keeping it or sending it for repair. I think by keeping it as is, I'd set myself up for problems reselling, even if it didn't ever cause a problem. I looked up the 'authorised repairer' that Ricoh wanted me to send it to and, rightly or wrongly, I didn't trust them to get it right first time and I didn't want the hassle and the wait.

So, I spoke to the lovely people at SRS and they offered to send me one from their 2nd shipment, which is outside the problem range, in exhange. I assume they will get mine repaired and sell it as refurbished stock, maybe...or just get a refund. Either way I'm happy...the 3 day turnaround and free collection/return shipping beats the alternative Ricoh offered, too.

04-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #113
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
So, I spoke to the lovely people at SRS and they offered to send me one from their 2nd shipment, which is outside the problem range, in exhange. I assume they will get mine repaired and sell it as refurbished stock, maybe...or just get a refund. Either way I'm happy...the 3 day turnaround and free collection/return shipping beats the alternative Ricoh offered, too.
Yay! SRS!

It is hard to say what they will do with the camera. Usually goods returned as defective are returned to the distributor for credit and it is the distributor that refurbishes for resale. That allows some flexibility and accountability in regards to warranty on the refurb'ed units.

Steve
04-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #114
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Well...I changed my mind about either keeping it or sending it for repair. I think by keeping it as is, I'd set myself up for problems reselling, even if it didn't ever cause a problem. I looked up the 'authorised repairer' that Ricoh wanted me to send it to and, rightly or wrongly, I didn't trust them to get it right first time and I didn't want the hassle and the wait.

Good call. And great service from SRS, though I can't say I'm surprised. I've had a lot of Pentax gear from them over the years, and on the couple of occasions I had problems, they were fantastic at resolving them. I wish they were nearer to me, as I used to like popping in there from time to time when I lived down South...
04-17-2019, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good call. And great service from SRS, though I can't say I'm surprised. I've had a lot of Pentax gear from them over the years, and on the couple of occasions I had problems, they were fantastic at resolving them. I wish they were nearer to me, as I used to like popping in there from time to time when I lived down South...
Between them and Wex we are well served for Ricoh/Pentax in the UK.
04-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Finally got my replacement unit yesterday after almost two weeks! At first the camera was operating at super slow speed; like, it would take 3 seconds after pressing the shutter button before taking a shot. Needless to say I was annoyed that I might have to get another replacement. It turned out that the OEM battery had low charge since I didn't charge it before giving it a quick test. That all got sorted out after the battery was charged. The button definitely moves way less my previous unit. I can't wait to take this with me on a trip.
04-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Finally got my replacement unit yesterday after almost two weeks! At first the camera was operating at super slow speed; like, it would take 3 seconds after pressing the shutter button before taking a shot. Needless to say I was annoyed that I might have to get another replacement. It turned out that the OEM battery had low charge since I didn't charge it before giving it a quick test. That all got sorted out after the battery was charged. The button definitely moves way less my previous unit. I can't wait to take this with me on a trip.
Interesting. My GRII never behaved like that with low charge. It was snappy all the way until it would shut off when battery ran out. Can you duplicate the issue again on low charge? Does it do that every time?

Last edited by awscreo; 04-18-2019 at 07:38 AM.
04-18-2019, 06:48 AM   #118
Veteran Member

nice. yours still moves a little bit too though right?
04-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Interesting. My GRII never behaved like that with low charge. It was snappy all the way until it would shit off when battery ran out. Can you duplicate the issue again on low charge? Does it do that every time?
Can't reproduce it; It was just one time fluke. I've seen that in the past with my Q7 and other cameras in the similar situation so I'm not worried about it.

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
nice. yours still moves a little bit too though right?
Yea there's very slight movement, nothing bothersome.
04-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Can't reproduce it; It was just one time fluke. I've seen that in the past with my Q7 and other cameras in the similar situation so I'm not worried about it.

Yea there's very slight movement, nothing bothersome.
Ok sounds good. Happy it's not a reoccurring issue for you.