Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Build quality of GRIII - the problem of wobbly control dial

Build quality of GRIII - the problem of wobbly control dial

SLRCLUB, ??? ???? ?? ????
Today I received Ricoh GR III but immediately returned because of defects.: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Is your GRIII control dial wobbly etc?: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

[TEST] GR3 ???? ???????!? - YouTube

it seems to me it's normal at all....I think no QC for cameras of mass production.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-28-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Reinstated post.
03-27-2019, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
sigh..
03-27-2019, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmm. First adapters are usually the ones that get the most QC issues, maybe this will be sorted out in the next batch.

03-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now you know the reason Pentax uses buttons on the four way controller rather than a control dial. Did the GRII control dial move like this? Looks like this can eventually result in a broken control dial.

03-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do mean "not" normal at all.....right? The OK button in the middle moves with the control dial, this look like a pseudo-joystick. I just checked the photos of a GRII and the OK button appears to be separate from the control dial.

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-27-2019 at 06:53 AM.
03-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For it's price it should be a solid build no wobbly parts.
03-27-2019, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
yes. not normal.
I would be willing to wager that every GRIII is like this so it is probably a "normal" condition, its the way the control dial is designed. From what I've read at the "Other" forum it only bothers "picky" people looking for flaws.

03-27-2019, 08:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I would be willing to wager that every GRIII is like this so it is probably a "normal" condition, its the way the control dial is designed. From what I've read at the "Other" forum it only bothers "picky" people looking for flaws.
Or it could easily be an early model bug. Like the K-1 early QC issues (at least from what I've read on the forum in the past).

Also, if it's that loose, doesn't it mean it's a weak point from which water and dust can get in easier (even though gr is not a weather sealed camera, we don't want to make it even easier for water to get inside)
03-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Or it could easily be an early model bug. Like the K-1 early QC issues (at least from what I've read on the forum in the past).

Also, if it's that loose, doesn't it mean it's a weak point from which water and dust can get in easier (even though gr is not a weather sealed camera, we don't want to make it even easier for water to get inside)
I think its inherent in the joy stick design of the control. I have a Panasonic camera with a small thumb operated joy stick that does the same thing as these do, there is a small degree of rotation. As for the looseness there probably aren't any contacts under the the control dial since its more than likely the dial is attached to a shaft that is sealed.

It would be interesting to find out why the GRII control dial design was changed on the GRIII. The GRII design looks similar but the OK button is separate from the control dial.
03-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I think its inherent in the joy stick design of the control. I have a Panasonic camera with a small thumb operated joy stick that does the same thing as these do, there is a small degree of rotation. As for the looseness there probably aren't any contacts under the the control dial since its more than likely the dial is attached to a shaft that is sealed.

It would be interesting to find out why the GRII control dial design was changed on the GRIII. The GRII design looks similar but the OK button is separate from the control dial.
This was my thinking when I saw the videos as well. it looks like the center with the icons and "button" is decoupled from the mechanical and electrical button, probably makes it more water/dust proof. It shouldn't come off however... but so far there's only one example of this or?

The GR II controller is very stiff and solid but compared to joypad type things its not very fast when doing complicated movements. Would be interesting to know if the GRII controller is better in this regard.
03-27-2019, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are you reporting actual experience with a wobbly dial or was your purpose to draw attention to three user reports and a youtube video (may not be four people) reporting such? If other than actual report as an owner, I would suggest this is a rumor. FWIW, no reports of problems for users here.

Edit: Comments on DPReview indicate that two of the reports (the video and slrclub) were not a production camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-27-2019 at 01:12 PM.
03-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you reporting actual experience with a wobbly dial or was your purpose to draw attention to three user reports and a youtube video (may not be four people) reporting such? If other than actual report as an owner, I would suggest this is a rumor. FWIW, no reports of problems for users here.

Edit: Comments on DPReview indicate that two of the reports (the video and slrclub) were not a production camera.

Steve
I was thinking the same thing. Wait for more reports from owners before jumping off the conclusion cliff and deciding Ricoh has a problematic camera.
03-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
See the owners reports, but see nothing...Interesting position. Is it very hard to check the links with users info in the my main post?
How about this info?
Apparently this is a flurry of activity. An hour ago, that thread had zero responses. BTW...I read the posts that were in English and also the comments...all of them.

So, back to my first question...are you a GRIII owner or just a concerned bystander interested in seeing the response from GRIII owners here?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-27-2019 at 02:15 PM.
03-27-2019, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #14

N E one else experiencing? I am GRiii owner, maybe 200 actuations, have not experienced.
03-27-2019, 05:57 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this really what we've come to?

Are we truly worrying over the tiniest wobble of a part that is clearly of floating construction (i.e. not cemented or directly attached to the body), and a very slight gap difference between the lens tube and the body's lens opening?? Maybe we should complain about every camera button that has a little play in it... every lens that doesn't look mechanically centred, yet produces perfectly good images? For goodness sake...

If we should start to see multiple reported problems with the very-slightly-wobbling part (i.e. it falls off or interferes with operation), or repeated issues with image quality due to a lens that isn't properly aligned with the sensor, then (and only then) I think we can validly question build quality. Until then, please... let's not be silly, eh?

Some folks will find a problem with anything and everything... <Astounded>

Heads up to those who would believe otherwise... Nothing is perfect.

“As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal, keep your eye upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole”...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-27-2019 at 06:13 PM.