Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 12:46 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
This is the extent of the play/tilt found on mine. Inconsequential as far as I am concerned. To be blunt, only a bit of neurosis could spell otherwise.
You also have a clean screen. The screen would bother me much more than a button that moves.

04-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #62
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aha. In my PF forum layout, I see in his profile: "Banned". His GR III post was also his last one visible on PF. Apologies if he still has a valid acct.
If a member receives more than a certain number of infraction points in a limited time period, that can trigger (a) moderator approval for further posts, or (b) an automatic temporary ban, both of which expire after a short time. Aside from spammers, it's very rare that we ban anyone permanently (we really don't like doing it). In those cases, they will have been given many opportunities to comply with forum rules and moderator / admin requests

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-01-2019 at 07:03 AM.
04-01-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #63
JPT
Pentaxian

I don't understand why ogl would get criticized for this at all. All he did was point out a real, albeit non-critical, issue with the camera, which has since been acknowledged by Ricoh. I also saw this on every copy I handled - about 5 in total.

ogl has been very positive about the GR III since it was announced, and has been a keen Ricoh user from the GXR days at least. I don't think he is looking for reasons to criticize - just genuinely disappointed and lamenting that mass produced products have

For us readers, we are now able to make an informed decision about when to buy. I was holding on for another reason (too busy to use it at the moment), but I'm glad I did now if the product I get will be a little better as a result.
04-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't understand why ogl would get criticized for this at all. All he did was point out a real, albeit non-critical, issue with the camera, which has since been acknowledged by Ricoh. I also saw this on every copy I handled - about 5 in total.
Ricoh has said there is a cosmetic issue which seems to bother some people .... frankly, not something worthy of a thread here.

04-01-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

How is it an issue? Does it make it hard to use by locking up or making the user push right instead of up? That would be a problem.

The pulltabs on every zipper I have all have this "design flaw". When I pull a "There's Something About Mary" zipping up my jeans because of it, it will be a big problem.
04-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #66
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
The pulltabs on every zipper I have all have this "design flaw". When I pull a "There's Something About Mary" zipping up my jeans because of it, it will be a big problem.
LOL
04-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aha. In my PF forum layout, I see in his profile: "Banned". His GR III post was also his last one visible on PF. Apologies if he still has a valid acct.
Yes, that happened a few days ago. His comments on this thread have also disappeared, a few of which might be considered non-constructive and blunt.

Steve

04-01-2019, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The GRiii is barely in circulation - not enough time for a reliability record. Unless he was an early purchaser and this has caused real problems for him, I saw no point to his Original Post.
In all fairness, he had expressed long-term interest in the GRII replacement and was enthusiastic as rumors of the GRIII became more frequent.

Steve
04-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Just received my unit and the button does turn a little while I turn the wheel and the serial number falls within the range of the recall units in Japan/Korea. I'm gonna get it exchanged but of course it's out of stock. I'm sad that I won't be able to bring this little gem with me to my upcoming trip.
04-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #70
Veteran Member

got mine last week. have to be honest, while clearly Not a Big Deal™, this 'droopy wheel' is a persistent annoyance.

it's a constant, nagging questioning of the money and years I held out not getting a GR II and instead waited on this camera I really wanted to love. I'd already accepted the no-flash and loss of cool manual controls (that used to define "GRism") with open eyes going in, but to be surprised by this canon powershot level of quality control out of the box just doesn't sit right with me.

c'mon Ricoh
04-01-2019, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
got mine last week. have to be honest, while clearly Not a Big Deal™, this 'droopy wheel' is a persistent annoyance.
Take it back? Seriously, any reputable camera retailer should exchange it on the spot and you will be spared the persistent annoyance. It is an expensive camera and you should have the privilege of it being right. BTW...yours is the first I have seen where the "wobbly" control is described as "droopy" or a "wheel". Is this something new?

Steve
04-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Take it back? Seriously, any reputable camera retailer should exchange it on the spot and you will be spared the persistent annoyance. It is an expensive camera and you should have the privilege of it being right. BTW...yours is the first I have seen where the "wobbly" control is described as "droopy" or a "wheel". Is this something new?

Steve
yes, of course that's an option, just not the option I want. I wanted a camera that's worth the price I paid for it. Ricoh Asia has acknowledged it as enough of a problem to do something about it, so I'm expecting Ricoh USA to do the same. Ideally none of this would have ever been an issue in the first place

sorry "droopy wheel" was my way of combining the 'wobbly dial' with the off-center icons. It's "droopy" because the controls wobble down and off to the side, it's a "wheel" because it's the addition of the wheel ring thats the obvious culprit here. previous GRs didn't have this wheel ring

[edit: apparently Ricoh USA will comment about the issue tomorrow. fingers crossed]

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2495300791/ricoh-says-it-will-repair-gr-iii-ca...l-scroll-wheel
04-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

yes, of course that's an option, just not the option I want. I wanted a camera that's worth the price I paid for it. Ricoh Asia has acknowledged it as enough of a problem to do something about it, so I'm expecting Ricoh USA to do the same.
Am I reading correctly that you are unwilling to do a return or immediate exchange based on dissatisfaction, preferring instead the warranty repair adjustment being offered buyers in Asia for controls with excess tilt? I know which action will get Ricoh Imaging Americas attention fastest.

Steve

(...widely known that they don't monitor Pentax Forums...)
04-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #74
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

yes, of course that's an option, just not the option I want. I wanted a camera that's worth the price I paid for it. Ricoh Asia has acknowledged it as enough of a problem to do something about it, so I'm expecting Ricoh USA to do the same. Ideally none of this would have ever been an issue in the first place

sorry "droopy wheel" was my way of combining the 'wobbly dial' with the off-center icons. It's "droopy" because the controls wobble down and off to the side, it's a "wheel" because it's the addition of the wheel ring thats the obvious culprit here. previous GRs didn't have this wheel ring

[edit: apparently Ricoh USA will comment about the issue tomorrow. fingers crossed]

Ricoh says it will repair GR III cameras affected by a wobbly control dial, scroll wheel: Digital Photography Review
It's your purchase and your hard-earned money, so of course you're at liberty to achieve what you want by any available means at your disposal from the retailer and/or manufacturer.

If it were me, and if I decided the issue were significant enough to need rectification, I'd have the unit replaced quick-smart by the retailer with one outside the affected serial number range... especially so soon after purchase. I'd want to be out shooting my fine new camera as soon as possible, and reducing the number and length of steps required to get there accordingly. But that's just me.

Yours will be an interesting test case for other users, so please do keep us posted on your progress?
04-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2495300791/ricoh-says-it-will-repair-gr-iii-ca...l-scroll-wheel
Interesting! The video shows a loose wheel, not the wobbly controller pictured in the other videos.

Steve