Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2019, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
How is it an issue?
It's not.

QuoteQuote:
Does it make it hard to use by locking up or making the user push right instead of up?
No.

QuoteQuote:
The pulltabs on every zipper I have all have this "design flaw". When I pull a "There's Something About Mary" zipping up my jeans because of it, it will be a big problem.
Please don't post a video.

---------- Post added 04-01-19 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting! The video shows a loose wheel, not the wobbly controller pictured in the other videos.

Steve
That link now appears to be dead...

04-01-2019, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #77
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting! The video shows a loose wheel, not the wobbly controller pictured in the other videos.
Yes, I just noticed that too. So - for some units, at least - it looks like the entire physical control module is rotating slightly, rather than the inner piece alone.

Whilst I'm not super-critical these days, if I were an early-adopter of the GRIII (which I'm not - I'm rarely an early-adopter of any product), I'd probably get this sorted, just in case there are wired or ribbon connections to the controller that could be stressed through extended use. Per my previous comment, I'd be doing that through replacement with an unaffected unit rather than having my camera taken apart and repaired... but either way, I'd probably get it resolved...
04-01-2019, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That link now appears to be dead...
April Fools!!!

It is still active on Pentax Rumors and YouTube, however.

Ricoh will fix affected GR III cameras with "wobbly control dial/pad" - Pentax Rumors

Steve
04-01-2019, 02:50 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, I just noticed that too. So - for some units, at least - it looks like the entire physical control module is rotating slightly, rather than the inner piece alone.

Whilst I'm not super-critical these days, if I were an early-adopter of the GRIII (which I'm not - I'm rarely an early-adopter of any product), I'd probably get this sorted, just in case there are wired or ribbon connections to the controller that could be stressed through extended use. Per my previous comment, I'd be doing that through replacement with an unaffected unit rather than having my camera taken apart and repaired... but either way, I'd probably get it resolved...

Ugh. I really wasn't going to worry about it - just got the camera out again and looked at it. I've the better part of a month remaining for a return/replacement. I think I'll wait and see what Ricoh says next in the coming days.

04-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #80
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I totally agree.

Steve
04-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve! Though I don't see how that's any different (in the video) from mine or others we've seen... The "OK" button seems to remain stationary - it's just the plate that moves (as we've seen) with the control dial (which *should* move). I still think it's intended. If *feels* like it's on some sort of rubber bushing that's floating above a cam or something. E.g. it doesn't feel broken, it just looks *barely* off-center in one direction.
04-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Am I reading correctly that you are unwilling to do a return or immediate exchange based on dissatisfaction, preferring instead the warranty repair adjustment being offered buyers in Asia for controls with excess tilt? I know which action will get Ricoh Imaging Americas attention fastest.

Steve

(...widely known that they don't monitor Pentax Forums...)
It's your purchase and your hard-earned money, so of course you're at liberty to achieve what you want by any available means at your disposal from the retailer and/or manufacturer.

If it were me, and if I decided the issue were significant enough to need rectification, I'd have the unit replaced quick-smart by the retailer with one outside the affected serial number range... especially so soon after purchase. I'd want to be out shooting my fine new camera as soon as possible, and reducing the number and length of steps required to get there accordingly. But that's just me.

Yours will be an interesting test case for other users, so please do keep us posted on your progress?

again, yes, of course. that's assuming there were any in stock at this retailer to replace it with.

Ricoh Asia is quoting a 4 day turnaround, if Ricoh USA can do that, likely I could have it before their next batch comes in

and again, none of this ideal

04-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #83
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Ugh. I really wasn't going to worry about it - just got the camera out again and looked at it. I've the better part of a month remaining for a return/replacement. I think I'll wait and see what Ricoh says next in the coming days.
My apologies. I'm not suggesting you should worry about yours. If it's not bothering you, you could simply choose to accept the protection your warranty affords you. If I owned the camera, I would only have the issue resolved if I really deemed it necessary to do so.

For a few years now, I've owned a Hasselblad HV that I bought as new / old stock from B&H. It's a Sony A99 with heavier duty casing and controls. When it was a current model, it cost $11,500, albeit with a nice Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM lens and carry case + accessories. I only paid a fraction of that price, but that's not relevant. Anyway, there's a quick selection control on the front of the camera that has lots of play in it. More significant, I'd suggest, than what we've seen in videos for the GRIII "wobbly control dial". And this is on a camera costing eleven grand when released. I've been shooting mine for several years now, and that control feels no different... nor has it presented me with any problems.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-01-2019 at 03:35 PM.
04-01-2019, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

My apologies. I'm not suggesting you should worry about yours. If it's not bothering you, you could simply choose to accept the protection your warranty affords you. If I owned the camera, I would only have the issue resolved if I really deemed it necessary to do so.

For a few years now, I've owned a Hasselblad HV that I bought as new / old stock from B&H. It's a Sony A99 with heavier duty casing and controls. When it was a current model, it cost $11,500, albeit with a nice Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM lens and carry case + accessories. I only paid a fraction of that price, but that's not relevant. Anyway, there's a quick selection control on the front of the camera that has lots of play in it. More significant, I'd suggest, than what we've seen in videos for the GRIII "wobbly control dial". And this is on a camera costing eleven grand when released. I've been shooting mine for several years now, and that control feels no different... nor has it presented me with any problems.
Oh no apologies necessary whatsoever. FWIW this and original APS-C 2013 GR are the only two cameras I've ever pre-ordered - I'm normally right along with you. In fact, I don't buy much these days at all if I'm honest, except more film than I could possibly need.

---------- Post added 04-01-19 at 03:44 PM ----------

Was just PM'ing with Steve and I think some folks (due to previous GR design conclusions) might misunderstand the control-ring/4-way mechanism, and as such misunderstand what the "wobbley" piece affects - which is nothing really, it's just cosmetic. As I replied to Steve:

QuoteQuote:
... the 4-way selector is integral to the ring itself - they're the same control. The ring spins for selection purposes (which frankly works so nicely that I *very* rarely find myself using the touchscreen), and there are detents in the four directions - you just appy pressure to the ring (not the plate inside). The plate that is within the ring seems to almost float there with some (rubber feeling) resistance - it's display-only and has no mechanical purpose, it just designates the default functions for each direction of the 4-way, e.g. ISO/Macro/Drive/WhiteBalance. And, the OK button is separate from it all as well and feels connected to the center. It's just a normal button. Clear as mud?
If it wasn't clear - the plate that is "wobbling" has no function to serve other than as a "legend". It's not part of the ring, 4-way, or ok button.

Just thought I'd post this here in case it helps any that haven't held the camera yet.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-01-2019 at 03:48 PM.
04-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anyway, there's a quick selection control on the front of the camera that has lots of play in it.
I am curious If its this and if the click/clickless option is on the hv.
" A major addition here being the new multi-controller dial on the front, which can rotate freely or with click stops, and can be customized to control key settings." It seems like that is an optional feature you can turn off perhaps only on the a99?
04-01-2019, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Just received my unit and the button does turn a little while I turn the wheel and the serial number falls within the range of the recall units in Japan/Korea. I'm gonna get it exchanged but of course it's out of stock. I'm sad that I won't be able to bring this little gem with me to my upcoming trip.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the "button" is a part of the wheel molding and will naturally rotate when the wheel rotates just a bit. If they are all made this way your chances of getting one that the wheel is rock steady is going to be tough. I would use the camera and not worry too much about it or at least use it a bit to get the feel of the wheel and button operation then send it back it its unsatisfactory.
04-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I have no doubt this can be annoying to some if not most. A rattle in a car is very annoying and turning up the radio is a solution but not a fix. Yet i can't help but think of the Spinal Tap scene about the small bread.
04-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "button" is a part of the wheel molding and will naturally rotate when the wheel rotates just a bit. If they are all made this way your chances of getting one that the wheel is rock steady is going to be tough. I would use the camera and not worry too much about it or at least use it a bit to get the feel of the wheel and button operation then send it back it its unsatisfactory.
That's more or less what they're saying, that the defect is a larger degree of rotation. Mine doesn't seem to move as much as in the video, and out of curiosity I've also used a pencil, and it's in the stated serial range. I am not worried about my particular camera, that's because the notice says no functionality is affected, and I didn't really notice it until I read online. Maybe not all dials wobble the same?
04-02-2019, 06:29 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I have no doubt this can be annoying to some if not most. A rattle in a car is very annoying and turning up the radio is a solution but not a fix. Yet i can't help but think of the Spinal Tap scene about the small bread.
especially in a new, expensive, all matte black car world renowned for its build quality..

Last edited by illdefined; 04-02-2019 at 10:42 AM.
04-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #90
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I am curious If its this and if the click/clickless option is on the hv.
" A major addition here being the new multi-controller dial on the front, which can rotate freely or with click stops, and can be customized to control key settings." It seems like that is an optional feature you can turn off perhaps only on the a99?
It's the button at the bottom right of the body on the attached photo (which I think, indeed, is the multi-controller). Mine doesn't have selectable clicks - it's just "no clicks". It feels solid and operates well, but there's enough in-and-out play on the entire control that, if you shake the body gently, you can hear it rattle. Even when you press the inner button or rotate the outer ring, you can feel there's travel before it starts to "bite". That, and the initially sticky shutter release button... and the rotational play in lenses because the locking pin isn't quite wide enough in diameter for the cut-out in the lens mounts (and probably the camera's mount is too shiny so it provides little resistance)... and, when the articulating screen is pulled out, it tilts ever so slightly but noticeably to the left... Are these issues to be expected on an $11.5k camera kit? Perhaps not, I don't know. I noticed them, and would have preferred they weren't present. Maybe it was to my benefit that I couldn't simply request a replacement, as mine was one of the last sold. So I quickly got used to these "quirks" (so very minor in the scheme of things) and got on with shooting it, which I've been doing for several years now without a hitch. Happily. Very happily, in fact.

My point being, a lack of absolute perfection on a sub-$1,000 camera isn't unthinkable. It's a lot of money, sure, and especially for some folks... but an $11.5k camera can be imperfect, so too a $50k car, a $2k suit, a $1M house. We expect perfection when we pay out our hard-earned money because it's our hard earned money... but it's an awfully high bar for us to set, and often unrealistic for the price versus what we're getting overall...

None of the above is meant to be critical of those who are concerned by the GRIII's wobbly dial "issue". If they feel they need that resolving in order to be happy with their purchase, I support them. But the expectation (especially from early adopters) for a brand new, high grade product to be 100% perfect and issue-free - without the tiniest flaws - has to be taken in context
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-02-2019 at 04:14 PM.