Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ah...I spoke too soon. On double checking their stock, it turns out that everything they have, including the latest delivery and everything they have sold, is within the problem range. So it seems that the distributor is still sending out this stock complete with wobbly control dials, rather than keeping back the problem units and repairing them first as I would have expected.

Still, SRS did the decent thing and refunded me with a promise to contact me when good stock arrives. I'll go back to the GRII in the meantime. No great hardship.

04-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Ah...I spoke too soon. On double checking their stock, it turns out that everything they have, including the latest delivery and everything they have sold, is within the problem range. So it seems that the distributor is still sending out this stock complete with wobbly control dials, rather than keeping back the problem units and repairing them first as I would have expected.

Still, SRS did the decent thing and refunded me with a promise to contact me when good stock arrives. I'll go back to the GRII in the meantime. No great hardship.
Guess you'll have to update your signature. Again. (sigh)
04-19-2019, 06:36 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
Yea there's very slight movement, nothing bothersome.
mine too. the actual difference was quite small but did end up mattering to me. such a silly little thing to mar this long awaited launch
08-17-2019, 04:38 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread) I finally am ready to get one of those beauties for myself, took longer than I thought, but moving to another city ate up all of my resources.

So, is there a consensus on this wobble thing?) I'm looking to buy either from Adorama, or from Kenmore camera. I think adorama had no stock few weeks ago, so they probably have the latest production run, Kenmore told me they got stock in May.

I'd prefer getting from Kenmore (bought my k-1 from them back in 2016, exceptionally good packaging and service), but if older stock has a higher chance of QC issues I'll buy from Adorama.

08-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #125
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
So, is there a consensus on this wobble thing?
I think the consensus is that those with a complaint have had their word, though with any luck there may be some additional discussion from users who have accumulated experience with their cameras.

As for Kenmore Camera...I used to live just up the hill and and remember when they set up shop.

Steve
08-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #126
Veteran Member

So, is there a consensus on this wobble thing?
Not really, some were more bothered than others. I was not particularly bothered by the problem itself (I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out) but worried that the issue may get worse in the future. I also was concerned about the local repair centre that Ricoh nominated here, and their ability to do the job well, quickly (the estimate was 7-10 days which is bad enough) and without causing any further problems. So I elected to return the item for a refund and purchase one from outside the problem range.

If it was the choice between a significant discount or a non-wobbly unit, I would happily put up with the issue for some cash back in my pocket. But both being full price, and one option involving sending off my new camera for a couple of weeks, the choice was easy.

Anyway, my recommendation is to ask them if they have a unit outside the problem range, and if so buy that one.
08-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Not really, some were more bothered than others. I was not particularly bothered by the problem itself (I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out) but worried that the issue may get worse in the future. I also was concerned about the local repair centre that Ricoh nominated here, and their ability to do the job well, quickly (the estimate was 7-10 days which is bad enough) and without causing any further problems. So I elected to return the item for a refund and purchase one from outside the problem range.

If it was the choice between a significant discount or a non-wobbly unit, I would happily put up with the issue for some cash back in my pocket. But both being full price, and one option involving sending off my new camera for a couple of weeks, the choice was easy.

Anyway, my recommendation is to ask them if they have a unit outside the problem range, and if so buy that one.
So is your new unit issue free? My camera is on the way, adorama told me it's fresh stock they received few weeks ago.

BTW, how do I determine which serials are within the problem range?

08-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #128
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you made the right choice for your own unit. Out of curiosity, who was the nominated service centre? I know it changed recently for the UK... Was there a specific reason you weren't confident with them (lack of evidential history, for instance)? Whatever, I'd have gone with your approach too...
08-20-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #129
Veteran Member

So ia your new unit issue free?
The camera itself, yes. It is amazing.

I am extremely disappointed with Ricoh's performance so far on the Image Sync app. For me at least, it's still not functional. It took 3 months to release any support for the GRIII and only last week did they release the full functionality with remote control. But even now, on Android 9 and iOS its reliability is patchy at best and I cannot connect at all on my Pixel 3A. But if you intend on transferring files to a computer the 'old' way, then it isn't a problem.

---------- Post added 08-20-19 at 03:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think you made the right choice for your own unit. Out of curiosity, who was the nominated service centre? I know it changed recently for the UK... Was there a specific reason you weren't confident with them (lack of evidential history, for instance)? Whatever, I'd have gone with your approach too...
The company (John Pye Technical) is new to electronics repair, having up until recently been just an aution house (John Pye Auctions selling cars, antiques, and used tech), before purchasing a shed and employing a handful of technicians, presumably to repair the iphones and such that they sell on their site.

I could find precisely zero mention online of them having repaired anything either successully or otherwise. I just googled them again and stlll the only result that mentions the name John Pye Technical is the Ricoh Service page. I have no reaon not to trust them, but equally no reason to trust them with my brand new eye-wateringly expensive camera.
08-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #130
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The company (John Pye Technical) is new to electronics repair, having up until recently been just an aution house (John Pye Auctions selling cars, antiques, and used tech), before purchasing a shed and employing a handful of technicians, presumably to repair the iphones and such that they sell on their site.

I could find precisely zero mention online of them having repaired anything either successully or otherwise. I just googled them again and stlll the only result that mentions the name John Pye Technical is the Ricoh Service page. I have no reaon not to trust them, but equally no reason to trust them with my brand new eye-wateringly expensive camera.
Many thanks for the info. I completely understand your reticence Hopefully we'll see some positive feedback on them over time...
08-20-2019, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Many thanks for the info. I completely understand your reticence Hopefully we'll see some positive feedback on them over time...
I would presume that, given qualified staff and good instructions, this repair is probably very easy. I'm sure that if there were any problems with the repair that they or Ricoh would make it right. But all of that was not acceptable to me - on a brand new unit, with new good units already on the way, I personally think Ricoh should replace them and repair the returns on their own time.
08-22-2019, 11:58 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Happy to report that my camera doesn't have much wobble (very minimal, only when I rotate the pad). and it came pre-installed with 1.20 firmware, guessing it's very fresh)