Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Explain what sharpening of RAW data looks like (honest question).

Steve
It looks to me like an image that has had sharpening applied in Lightroom. When "Pixel Peeping" the RAW images they just seem to have a different look to them than I am used to seeing with K-1 and KP images I work with. Maybe I am just not used to seeing such sharpness on a 24 MP image. The bottom line is I am very happy with the image quality of the GR III!

04-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sibyrnes Quote
It looks to me like an image that has had sharpening applied in Lightroom. When "Pixel Peeping" the RAW images they just seem to have a different look to them than I am used to seeing with K-1 and KP images I work with.
I will have to do a look-see when sample DNGs are available from the various review sites. RAW data is not yet rendered (i.e. there is no RAW image), so sharpening is not possible in the same sense that contrast adjustment is not possible. When we open a DNG in our favorite tool, what we see is not RAW; it is a rendered raster image in memory that bears the stamp of the tool. The embedded camera profile might also be a point of differentiation, if using products capable of leveraging it.

Steve
04-02-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

This doesn't surprise me either. The original GR APS-C blew away my K-3 in similar focal lengths in many respects. The GR sensor/lens combination is IMO the apex. Even the 21mm conversion (though I've not seen much of the most recent iteration) is uncanny.
04-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

ok, at 18mm this is true but at 19mm the KP combo is the best....

Ah, if you have time please try my Windows app with the GRIII... I'm curious. Thanks

04-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
This doesn't surprise me either. The original GR APS-C blew away my K-3 in similar focal lengths in many respects. The GR sensor/lens combination is IMO the apex. Even the 21mm conversion (though I've not seen much of the most recent iteration) is uncanny.
I generally agree with this statement. I sold my K-3 but I can’t bring myself to let go of my GR. I sometimes think I should slip the GR in my KP bag and pull it out when the DA 15 is too wide and the DA 21 is too narrow.
04-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I generally agree with this statement. I sold my K-3 but I can’t bring myself to let go of my GR. I sometimes think I should slip the GR in my KP bag and pull it out when the DA 15 is too wide and the DA 21 is too narrow.
This is along my lines of thought too. With the 20-40, DA 50 1.8 and 50-300 PLM I can cover a very broad range, with the 20-40 being decently sharp at 20-30 and the 50 taking over for portrait etc. Last year I have been thinking of getting an IRIX for my wideangle extension (the 15mm limited doesn't suit me, because I tend to document building structures etc. and corner sharpness is very much needed) but do cover this now with my GR II, for which I even got the GW-2 to go even wider. As of today it would be a hard decision between GR III with GW-3 and the 11-18, to be honest. But there is still some time before an addition to my equipment is imminent.
04-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #22

From my personal experience comparing the GRII's 18mm f/2.8 to the Pentax K-5IIs with the DA-21mm f/3.2:
- wide open, the GRII's 18mm is more center sharp at 2.8 vs DA-21mm at f/3.2

From my experience, the DA-21 is best at f/4.

I can't comment on the KP vs. GRIII. I would imagine the K-5IIs vs. GRII is a good comparison.

04-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yup.
I nearly picked up a KP. Nearly picked up a K-1. Nearly.
I just don't shoot digital except with the GR and occasionally the K-3, which is specifically for birding - the DA300 is pretty much permanently stuck to it - which is the only reason it's still around. I really doubt I'll upgrade it until it dies. Perfectly happy with that camera for my uses. The GRIII will likely be the last digi that I'll have picked up for a good many years.