Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2019, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GRIII - X100F comparison video

I enjoy Samuel's content. This is a nicely presented comparison.

04-11-2019, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Am I cool enough for camera in sock? Nooooo...

Good video, though now I end up wanting both.

Steve
04-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote

Ricoh GR III vs Fujifilm X100F - Let's compare! - YouTube
this is a great video. its the best kind of review, technical but also with all-important context.

thanks for posting
04-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #4

Very good video indeed, I`m lucky enough to have the X100F but the GRII to work along side of each other.

04-11-2019, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing. Looks like ibis doesn't use much battery in the gr iii according to his test (time 8:12 in the video)
04-11-2019, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Agreed, well done. I could not imagine the Ricoh lens being so much sharper. Fuji is known for their sharp lenses. Now, the Ricoh just blew past the Fuji in the lens sharpness department.

For me, for true non-obtrusive street photography, GRIII wins. Why, because most people are going to think that you are shooting with a "cheapo" point and shoot camera! Little do they know that the little thing is a monster!!
04-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Agreed, well done. I could not imagine the Ricoh lens being so much sharper. Fuji is known for their sharp lenses. Now, the Ricoh just blew past the Fuji in the lens sharpness department.

For me, for true non-obtrusive street photography, GRIII wins. Why, because most people are going to think that you are shooting with a "cheapo" point and shoot camera! Little do they know that the little thing is a monster!!
Honestly, I've had a few iterations of both over the years and the GR has always been a sharper lens/sensor combo by a good margin. The Fujis have had amazing color rendition and JPG output, but now the GR is catching up there as well (though it was never far behind, and was never behind at all in B&W rendering IMO).

And the "cheapo" factor of the GR has always been a draw - it certainly was for me when I picked up the GRDIII a decade ago. Tiny little monsters indeed.

---------- Post added 04-11-19 at 06:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Thanks for sharing. Looks like ibis doesn't use much battery in the gr iii according to his test (time 8:12 in the video)
I noticed that as well. I'd very much like to see the drain rate with the touchscreen disabled; those are a giant power suck in *any* device and to be honest, though it's extremely well implemented in the GRIII, since the new scroll-wheel is so nice I find myself rarely even using the touchscreen for anything beyond a quick focus-point change. I think a power gain my be a good trade... I might need to test that myself.

04-11-2019, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
this is because SR still takes power even when disabled, physically keeping the sensor “locked” in place

the GRIII inherits the infamous “sensor knock” of the powered off SR system from Pentax DSLRs. powered on but disabled, the knock goes away because the SR magnets are still active. i’m still amazed they managed to put this system into a GR sized body. usefulness w a 28mm equivalent lens aside, it really is quite remarkable
04-11-2019, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
this is because SR still takes power even when disabled, physically keeping the sensor “locked” in place

the GRIII inherits the infamous “sensor knock” of the powered off SR system from Pentax DSLRs. powered on but disabled, the knock goes away because the SR magnets are still active. i’m still amazed they managed to put this system into a GR sized body. usefulness w a 28mm equivalent lens aside, it really is quite remarkable

And by leaving out the flash, they actually made it smaller.
04-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
... i’m still amazed they managed to put this system into a GR sized body. usefulness w a 28mm equivalent lens aside, it really is quite remarkable
I was actually pretty dubious about it to begin with... That is, until I took a few 1/5esc ISO3200 and 6400 images taken in near dark that look like 1/60 @ ISO800 to my eye and I quickly came around.
04-12-2019, 04:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Am I cool enough for camera in sock? Nooooo...

Good video, though now I end up wanting both.

Steve
LOL same thoughts here. I was pretty impressed with his low light shots on with the Griii. And I've always appreciated the pocketablity of the GR series over the X100's but they're both fine cameras.
04-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I was actually pretty dubious about it to begin with... That is, until I took a few 1/5esc ISO3200 and 6400 images taken in near dark that look like 1/60 @ ISO800 to my eye and I quickly came around.
thats definitely an extreme case, not one you'd encounter often. power drain has been a universal knock on the GRIII so far (even with its bigger battery) and I still question the ability to take handheld low-light shots when the other universal knock on the GRIII is its terrible low-light focusing

I don't know if its a patent issue, but Olympus's IBIS physically locks the sensor in place when disabled, drawing no power. as it stands now, SR seems like a very sophisticated (and expensive) nice-to-have, not necessarily essential to the GR shooting experience (definitely not up to this point). with Pentax/Ricoh's implementation of SR, I'm not sure the battery life tradeoff is worth it
04-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thats definitely an extreme case, not one you'd encounter often. power drain has been a universal knock on the GRIII so far (even with its bigger battery) and I still question the ability to take handheld low-light shots when the other universal knock on the GRIII is its terrible low-light focusing
If photos turn out, one can shoot in as dark a condition as the camera will reasonably allow, e.g. those extreme cases become less extreme (That's the dream)

In my experience focusing thus far, the GRIII is just a shade slower than the GR in lowlight (and I mean *very* lowlight - the condition I spoke of earlier was a reading of 1/8sec, ISO1600, f/2.8 on my incident meter). But that is to say that it (GRIII) seems to find focus accurately far more often while the GR either misses or can't lock. The GR's low-light focusing got much better over time with subsequent firmware updates; I'm hopeful the GRIII follows that pattern. But as it stands, though it's nowhere near as quick to focus in low-light as the old GRDIII and GRDIV (which do so almost instantaneous - impossibly fast in near darkness), it can do it fairly reliably and the end-result image is far better in terms of sharpness, dynamic range and noise than either of the other iterations. All this is to say, I've not had it long and these were just off-the-cuff, extremely anecdotally oriented, wandering around my house, "tests".
04-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If photos turn out, one can shoot in as dark a condition as the camera will reasonably allow, e.g. those extreme cases become less extreme (That's the dream)

In my experience focusing thus far, the GRIII is just a shade slower than the GR in lowlight (and I mean *very* lowlight - the condition I spoke of earlier was a reading of 1/8sec, ISO1600, f/2.8 on my incident meter). But that is to say that it (GRIII) seems to find focus accurately far more often while the GR either misses or can't lock. The GR's low-light focusing got much better over time with subsequent firmware updates; I'm hopeful the GRIII follows that pattern. But as it stands, though it's nowhere near as quick to focus in low-light as the old GRDIII and GRDIV (which do so almost instantaneous - impossibly fast in near darkness), it can do it fairly reliably and the end-result image is far better in terms of sharpness, dynamic range and noise than either of the other iterations. All this is to say, I've not had it long and these were just off-the-cuff, extremely anecdotally oriented, wandering around my house, "tests".
really hope Ricoh remembers to ‘activate’ those PDAF pixels in the new sensor with the next firmware, because it doesn’t make sense that it’s worse than one without them. and in their defense, it’s much much easier to fast autofocus the tiny sensor of the GRDs where most everything is already in focus anyway

Last edited by illdefined; 04-12-2019 at 12:50 PM.
04-12-2019, 02:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
... and in their defense, it’s much much easier to fast autofocus the tiny sensor of the GRDs where most everything is already in focus anyway
Certainly so, but that doesn't mean I don't miss it. It's a fair trade for silly amount of subject separation this 28mm is capable of. For now... (firmware fingers crossed)