Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am (myself, but some other people as well) disappointed they did not make it with the flip screen. For an ultimate street camera, this is a must feature nowadays. Look down to the screen: and you are just as bystander checking the GPS direction. Put it to your eyes: and you are an annoying intruder. And that feature was invented not in the modern era. My coworker showed me the camera he took from Ukraine: it has the Moscow Olympics logo on the body (1980) and waist viewfinder. Even at the cost if a slightly bigger body it does make a sense. In addition, articulated screen may help you to fight bright sunlight.

04-15-2019, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I am (myself, but some other people as well) disappointed they did not make it with the flip screen. For an ultimate street camera, this is a must feature nowadays. Look down to the screen: and you are just as bystander checking the GPS direction. Put it to your eyes: and you are an annoying intruder. And that feature was invented not in the modern era. My coworker showed me the camera he took from Ukraine: it has the Moscow Olympics logo on the body (1980) and waist viewfinder. Even at the cost if a slightly bigger body it does make a sense. In addition, articulated screen may help you to fight bright sunlight.
Just hold it from the waist and click, Jumbleview. Snap Focus means you don't need to lay an AF point on the subject.

You can even be standing and looking ninety degrees from the target, and with electronic shutter it's absolutely silent, no click.
04-15-2019, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Shooting from the hip is a technique every photographer should learn. Even with an articulated screen their will still be moments
when you don't have time to line up a tilted screen to compose a shot.
04-15-2019, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just hold it from the waist and click, Jumbleview. Snap Focus means you don't need to lay an AF point on the subject.

You can even be standing and looking ninety degrees from the target, and with electronic shutter it's absolutely silent, no click.
Thanks for the advice. I will try whenever I'll have a chance. But advancing on your idea, there is no need in the screen at all (the same about viewfinder).

04-15-2019, 11:37 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the advice. I will try whenever I'll have a chance. But advancing on your idea, there is no need in the screen at all (the same about viewfinder).
Correct. Perfect for secret shooting, if that's one arrow in your quiver.

Once you add any of flash, reticulating screen or EVF the camera ends up bigger than the GR2 because of its new SR mechanism, so what they've been able to do is make it slightly smaller.
04-16-2019, 02:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

This is quite correct, in both points, and something I discovered with my Fujifilm X-M1. A screen that angles up and down is what's needed for street shooting and also helps a lot in bright sunlight, which is essential when you don't have a viewfinder.
04-16-2019, 03:08 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The goal was to make the camera as small as possible. Obviously this limited the features they could include. I think it is pretty impressive that they managed to put a full APS-C sensor with shake reduction in a camera that size, but I guess as with all things, not everyone will be satisfied with the results.