Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2019, 02:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
GR III doing very well in Japan

The Japanese camera store Map Camera has published their March sales ranking. They have done this every month recently, and it usually shows that one of the popular full frame ILC models is top.

This time it’s good to see that the GR III is top. I’m not surprised to see this to be honest. The GR III has been at or near the top of a number of bestseller lists since it was released. Now it is on back order almost everywhere.

This is in Japanese, but you can see the list. The first list is new cameras and the one further down the page is used.
2019?3? ??????????????????? | THE MAP TIMES

Bear in mind that the effective price of the GR III in Japan is around 110,000 yen. If they are outselling other cameras and selling everything they can make, it would indicate that the pricing is right.

Another indications that the GR III is doing well is the number of third-party products, like cases and guide books, that are coming out. As far as I can see, at least two guides are coming out soon. Also, the magazine “mono”, which is not a camera magazine but more of a general shopping magazine, dedicated a whole 48 pages to the GR in a recent edition.

??????????????? ???? | GR official | ??????????????

04-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does this Translation of their post on the GRIII read right?

RICOH GR III released on March 15th is 1st! ... I mean, it is the top of the cutting edge. We have a big difference in the double score in the sales number in the second place.
Prices over 100,000 yen are not cheap at all in the compact camera category. But compared to the price of single-lens cameras these days, is it a price that is easy to put out?
Even so, the popularity of the GR series is immeasurable. 35mm size conversion: It is a style that has not changed from the first series with 28mm equivalent wide-angle single focus lens, but has always attracted high support from users.
This time, the main parts such as the lens, sensor, and image processing engine have been completely revamped, and the start-up speed has also been improved with a great deal of attention to image quality and performance. It seems to have won a lot.
04-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It obviously doesn’t read nicely, but I don’t see anything misleading in the translation. They say it’s outselling the Canon RP two to one at their store.

I just noticed I posted this in the Pentax compact forum. If someone could move it to the GR sub forum, it would be appreciated.
04-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I just noticed I posted this in the Pentax compact forum. If someone could move it to the GR sub forum, it would be appreciated.
Done

04-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
GR III doing very well in Japan
Of course,its been a long time since the GRii...speaking of Map and the GRii,its in the top 10 too(used).

The early days usually have plenty of sales and I'm sure Map has taken plenty of trade ins from the early adopters.

Ricoh are good at catering for certain niche areas,all reports are reasonably positive too.

The new Q must be next.
04-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Lots of curious bits to be guessed from that data. New Canon and Nikon mirrorless are selling well. Meanwhile, those
not bothered with 'the world is going mirrorless' trend are lapping up all the 5Ds and D850s being traded in. Clearly
there's still much room for variety.
04-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I can understand the logic behind Ricoh splitting their camera business between two labels, Ricoh and Pentax, differentiating ILC cameras from such things as GR, Theta, and WG.

But is it really the best strategy? The Pentax name struggles for recognition. Deleting their compact camera range some years ago (was that Ricoh or Hoya?) made Pentax decidedly niche. Pentax compacts were actually quite common, and people knew the brand in those days. In this age of collapsing camera sales, wouldn't combining the brands assist both recognition and gravitas? Of course, I would hope that "Pentax" would be the brand name.

04-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@JPT Do you suppose the success of GRlll has anything to do with pushing back Theta Z1 and the compacts? It is reminiscent of 645Z claiming all the available resources and pushing back K-1.
04-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I can understand the logic behind Ricoh splitting their camera business between two labels, Ricoh and Pentax, differentiating ILC cameras from such things as GR, Theta, and WG.

But is it really the best strategy? The Pentax name struggles for recognition. Deleting their compact camera range some years ago (was that Ricoh or Hoya?) made Pentax decidedly niche. Pentax compacts were actually quite common, and people knew the brand in those days. In this age of collapsing camera sales, wouldn't combining the brands assist both recognition and gravitas? Of course, I would hope that "Pentax" would be the brand name.
I'm sure Ricoh are proud of its own accomplishments before the acquisition of Pentax, so I don't see anything wrong with keeping
the brand name. Indeed, the GR commands a high degree of respect among shooters who disparage Pentax, (such as the DPR
crowd). And we know Ricoh were proud enough to put their name on the back of the K-3, to much outrage from us. It was shortly
afterward that Ricoh announced its branding plan: Pentax for DSLRs & ILCs, Ricoh for all the other various platforms, (including the
formerly Pentax WG series).

Without question, Ricoh/Pentax' decision to end the line of Pentax compacts was the right decision at the right time. I think they
were very forward thinking. They may have done it out of immediate financial necessity, but the other manufacturers have gradually
followed suit. I really don't think many are missing a Pentax branded compact. Who out there owns a WG6? I must admit I'm
always surprised when a new WG series gets released....

I do believe, given Ricoh's general lack of marketing, that Pentax and/or Ricoh cameras tend to sell to people already in the know,
and as such, to a market that is quite familiar with the Ricoh/Pentax connection. Nonetheless, I'm sure Ricoh would readily adopt
either brand name if the market gave strong indication for a preference.
04-14-2019, 09:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised that the GRIII sells like hot cakes. It's made of astute assembly of Pentax technology into one of the most compact apsc camera ever made. GRIII is again unique product as an attempt to fight with lack of commercial presence.
04-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@JPT Do you suppose the success of GRlll has anything to do with pushing back Theta Z1 and the compacts? It is reminiscent of 645Z claiming all the available resources and pushing back K-1.
No idea really. But pictures of the bottom of the Z1 show “Made in China”, while the GR is made in Vietnam. It doesn’t seem like they would be competing for production time.
04-15-2019, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Map Camera is a popular store whilst not being as big as the giants Yodobashi and Bic Camera.
Nonetheless, encouraging signs.

When I went to CP+, there was huge interest in GRIII and Theta.
The Ricoh brand is far more prominent than Pentax.
TV show sponsorship in Japan and a large stadium, Ricoh Arena, in England, one does wonder if Ricoh one day may abandon the Pentax logo.
04-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
...one does wonder if Ricoh one day may abandon the Pentax logo.
Abandoning Pentax Logo I can survive. Abandoning K-mount would be a disaster.
04-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Abandoning Pentax Logo I can survive. Abandoning K-mount would be a disaster.
Not really a concern as their only other currently available mounts are GXR and Q

only problem with K-Mount is how deep the flange distance is, even compared to other SLRs. the K-01 proved that removing the mirror can't mitigate this

that said, a newly updated GXRII with K-Mount module would be very exciting
04-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly there is a demarcation of branding. Pentax is for ILCs -- both K mount and medium format (and if they ever decide to support it again, the Q). Ricoh is for compact fixed lens cameras. Not sure about the GXR, but it is old enough that the odds of them bringing out a new version of it seem pretty small.

There is no problem with this branding. It makes total sense and the success of the GR III in no way detracts from Pentax and the K mount projects.