Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

Wait before ordering the GR III?

Hi

I'm new to Ricoh, not photography. The GR III is a camera that is very intriguing. I'm getting one for my wife. However, as I have tried to "read" up on the GR III, I have seen so many issues. Doesn't seem to be related to faulty sensor, but annoying issues for a new camera. As I understand wobbly dial is something to be expected fixed? Then there was sticky lens protector Ricoh GR III Review - Marius Masalar Lens ring falling off cameras. Dust on sensor (I have other compacts withe APS-C sensor and had to get sensor cleaned on one which costed me $200, so I really do not like the idea to have to pay 1/5 of the cameras worth for cleaning). Overheating issue. If that is true, it will be an issue during summer. I have gotten overheating warning on my other APS-C compacts, but that is in very hot condition after using them for some time. Letting them cool off for a short time in the shade in the camera bag works fine. Slow metering (not sure if this is confirmed). And lastly vignetting (although not a big issue, certainly can be annoying)

As to AF, I guess it is better to what we are used to...

So as I don't know Ricoh, should one wait for the QC to get up to speed on the future batches or just order one now? (If so how long?) Or are most issues just early production lemons? How was it when GR II was released?

GR II is not an option as it is not available new where I live and my wife would want the IBIS and better possibility to crop as this being a 28mm.

After all the GR III looks like an excellent camera!

04-20-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oblidor Quote
better possibility to crop as this being a 28mm.
AFAIK both cameras have the same field of view. The marketing materials for the GR line have always been a bit misleading by citing both 18mm and 28mm (FF equivalent) as the focal length... but that's besides the point. The extra megapixels on the GR III will certainly help in this regard.

Given that early production GR III's may have an issue with the 4-way controller, I certainly wouldn't advise against waiting a bit to get a camera that's guaranteed to be free of the issue. However, I don't know how long of a wait might be appropriate, as the GR III already saw high demand through pre-orders.

Dust has historically been an issue with fixed-lens compacts and I don't think it's possible to rule out that it will happen with the GR III. We haven't posted our in-depth review of the camera yet, so I can't really comment on it specifically. However, it might be worthwhile to pick up a third-party warranty plan to serve as an insurance policy in case a cleaning becomes necessary outside of the standard warranty period.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AFAIK both cameras have the same field of view. The marketing materials for the GR line have always been a bit misleading by citing both 18mm and 28mm (FF equivalent) as the focal length... but that's besides the point. The extra megapixels on the GR III will certainly help in this regard.

Given that early production GR III's may have an issue with the 4-way controller, I certainly wouldn't advise against waiting a bit to get a camera that's guaranteed to be free of the issue. However, I don't know how long of a wait might be appropriate, as the GR III already saw high demand through pre-orders.

Dust has historically been an issue with fixed-lens compacts and I don't think it's possible to rule out that it will happen with the GR III. We haven't posted our in-depth review of the camera yet, so I can't really comment on it specifically. However, it might be worthwhile to pick up a third-party warranty plan to serve as an insurance policy in case a cleaning becomes necessary outside of the standard warranty period.
Thanks. Yes I meant that it is 28mm equivalent like the predecessors :-) As I see one store has the camera in stock, but my usual one does not, I think I'll order from the latter. Yes, the issue is the telescopic mechanism for the lens like my old Sigma DP2 and DP1x, that can pull inn dust. But I guess it depends on usage and that it is not something everybody gets?

Maybe better to get one as soon as possible to be able to fix before summer holidays.
04-20-2019, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Yes I meant that it is 28mm equivalent like the predecessors :-) As I see one store has the camera in stock, but my usual one does not, I think I'll order from the latter. Yes, the issue is the telescopic mechanism for the lens like my old Sigma DP2 and DP1x, that can pull inn dust. But I guess it depends on usage and that it is not something everybody gets?

Maybe better to get one as soon as possible to be able to fix before summer holidays.
I've had an original GR since 2013 pre-order and have never had dust on the sensor. It really depends, but all cameras that use this type of lens mechanism are susceptible. The GRIII obviously has an advantage in this regard with the IBIS and dust-removal action.

My GRIII has the 4-way controller "wobble" - I am genuinely not concerned. I registered for the warranty extension Ricoh offered and will leave it at that for now.

04-20-2019, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

As far as I know, the "wobbly ring" only effected only a small batch of them and Ricoh already put out a statement about it for repairing them. Never heard about any overheating issues.
04-20-2019, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
As far as I know, the "wobbly ring" only effected only a small batch of them and Ricoh already put out a statement about it for repairing them. Never heard about any overheating issues.
Quite a large batch, really - a large range of serials numbers are eligible for adjustment and extended warranty. Mine certainly is in the effected but I really don't find it bothersome.
04-20-2019, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

should one wait for the QC to get up to speed on the future batches or just order one now?
I would not be too worried about the QC, but if you wait, you might get better pricing.

Steve
04-20-2019, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine wobbles. I could not possibly care less.
The camera is wonderful. An absolute joy to use.

04-20-2019, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #9
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think itís a bit difficult to get honest opinions on the GR III online, because there arenít many forums discussing it in English. The DPR Ricoh forum seems to have several accounts set up just to attack the camera, as well as another group of people who liked the GR II and donít like the changes in the new one.

Looking at the problems with the camera, none of them seem to be that bad.

Wobbly dial - Doesnít affect functionality and will be fixed by Ricoh. Itís worth noting that even after being fixed, that dial has a little play by design.
Sticky lens protector - One isolated case as far as I can tell
Lens ring - That is a ring that covers the connectors for the filter adapter. It may be looser than before but thereís not really a reason to touch it in normal use (although I developed a habit of fiddling with it on my GRD - never lost it though)
Dust on sensor - The GR III has the same DR2 system from Pentax DSLRs. This video (at 0:18-0:30) shows what happens to dust that gets on the sensor. This was not on the previous GR cameras.

Overheating - Heat seems to be about the same as the Sony RX100 cameras.
Slow metering - Not sure about this one. Didnít noticed this when I tried it.
Vignetting - Itís definitely there, so youíd need to deal with it.
Focusing - Itís a lot faster than the GR II in normal light. The performance drops in low light apparently.

Iíll add two more considerations.
- In the Japanese user reviews (there are dozens already), the point that gets mentioned consistently is low battery life, so you need a strategy to get over that. One way is to get spares and a charger. Iím going to try a portable USB charger instead.
- The mobile app is not ready yet, so we donít know much about wi-fi performance

Also, itís worth remembering that we have not had any firmware updates yet. I think we could see some improvements in the cameraís performance. Itís only my speculation, though.
04-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think itís a bit difficult to get honest opinions on the GR III online, because there arenít many forums discussing it in English. The DPR Ricoh forum seems to have several accounts set up just to attack the camera, as well as another group of people who liked the GR II and donít like the changes in the new one.

Looking at the problems with the camera, none of them seem to be that bad.

Wobbly dial - Doesnít affect functionality and will be fixed by Ricoh. Itís worth noting that even after being fixed, that dial has a little play by design.
Sticky lens protector - One isolated case as far as I can tell
Lens ring - That is a ring that covers the connectors for the filter adapter. It may be looser than before but thereís not really a reason to touch it in normal use (although I developed a habit of fiddling with it on my GRD - never lost it though)
Dust on sensor - The GR III has the same DR2 system from Pentax DSLRs. This video (at 0:18-0:30) shows what happens to dust that gets on the sensor. This was not on the previous GR cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lB3EhIgZPw

Overheating - Heat seems to be about the same as the Sony RX100 cameras.
Slow metering - Not sure about this one. Didnít noticed this when I tried it.
Vignetting - Itís definitely there, so youíd need to deal with it.
Focusing - Itís a lot faster than the GR II in normal light. The performance drops in low light apparently.

Iíll add two more considerations.
- In the Japanese user reviews (there are dozens already), the point that gets mentioned consistently is low battery life, so you need a strategy to get over that. One way is to get spares and a charger. Iím going to try a portable USB charger instead.
- The mobile app is not ready yet, so we donít know much about wi-fi performance

Also, itís worth remembering that we have not had any firmware updates yet. I think we could see some improvements in the cameraís performance. Itís only my speculation, though.
Thank you for your detailed answer!

I'm used to Sigma DP Merrill cameras where you get 36-70 photos per battery (same battery as Ricoh GR) and Blackmagic camera where you get 10-20m filming on a battery :-) Well, now I use the Sigma dp Quattro and sd h quattro cameras for stills so much better battery life on these. But I'm used to poor battery life and I have a lot of these batteries. The new Ricoh batteries are also so small that carrying two in a pouch is not a problem.

My wife is used to OM-D E-M1, but she stopped bringing it due to it's size. Hence the GR III :-)

The usb-c charging is perfect when it is not hot and one is on a small travel with work f.ex. No need for external charger and extra power adapters.

On the Blackmagic one can charge the battery in camera. That was not a good idea in the summer with 30C in the shadows as it made the camera extremely hot. So I'll definitively get external charger and battery.

When one buy Sigma batteries they come with small leather pouches. That is really nice when carrying extra batteries. When a battery needs charging I just put it in its pouch with the poles up. I made some for my other camera batteries so it is easy to tell the empty from the full. But when one say poor battery life and AF it is all relative to what is the reference. :-)

I think I'll order it now and hope to get it before her birthday.

Thank you all!
04-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
When one buy Sigma batteries they come with small leather pouches. That is really nice when carrying extra batteries. When a battery needs charging I just put it in its pouch with the poles up.
I meant PU leather pouches as seen in the photo. One pouch for 2-3 GR batteries should be enough. Time to start the sewing machine :-)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel  Photo 
04-21-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That's an interesting way to store batteries. I have two spares that fit right in the small p&s case I use for the GR III.

There's a lot of stuff written about specs and such. But at the end of the day, I just like it and it's great to use. While I don't think it's overpriced, it is expensive. But in use it's a lot more than the sum of the specs for my way of shooting.

No issues with build quality for me: even though it's in the listed serial number range, the dial on my camera looks fine ( there seems to be a range of how much it moves). The ring stays in place fine. And it doesn't overheat, just gets slightly warm with prolonged use the same way as my k3ii in live view or my phone also get warm with use.