Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #46
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opal Quote
HEXE……..My dealer sent the camera to the Thai official supplier.
The supplier refuses to change the camera and will clean it with all possible risks .... I find it regrettable on a camera that has only one month.
QuoteOriginally posted by HEXE Quote
I consider it's a pity that Ricoh does not accepte to replace your GR III.
It's not Ricoh that is refusing to replace opal's GRIII, but the official supplier in Thailand. That's not the same thing, with respect.

As I've advised previously, I believe opal should contact Ricoh directly and ask if they would intervene in the circumstances.

I have limited confidence in the ability of the after sales service to do this job properly. I have known in the past some cases of defective GXR which returned from the german after sales services, certainly repaired from the initial defect, but returned with new with defects that did not exist before ... it's why I am a bit reluctant with the sensor cleaning of a brand new camera which imposes disassembly.
I understand your reluctance... I have a Tamron 10-24 lens that I bought new that went back to the authorised UK service centre at least twice (I think it may actually have been three times), before I got a fully working lens that performed as it should. But I did, eventually, get a lens I'm basically happy with now. The warranty worked, even if it took a little while for me to get the lens I original expected.

I'm not sure what the details of the GRIII warranty are. I'd certainly try to work with your dealer, and perhaps even your regional Ricoh office, to see if a replacement can be offered. But if you're unable to reach agreement, go down the warranty route. If the camera is returned to you in an unsatisfactory state, send it back to them and politely request that they address any issues.

05-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #47

Original Poster
BigMackCam…….Can not find how to send a message to Ricoh.

On Ricoh's global site you have to put where you are and it sends me to the authorized dealer of thailand, the same one who refuses to make the exchange……

I waste my time with that, it's too complicated, I've passed the age of being upset for a camera story

I will sell this camera when it will be repaired and I will move on to something else…... Too bad I'm going to lose money but it does not matter there is worse in life
05-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #48
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

BigMackCam…….Can not find how to send a message to Ricoh.

On Ricoh's global site you have to put where you are and it sends me to the authorized dealer of thailand, the same one who refuses to make the exchange……

I waste my time with that, it's too complicated, I've passed the age of being upset for a camera story

I will sell this camera when it will be repaired and I will move on to something else…... Too bad I'm going to lose money but it does not matter there is worse in life
It sounds like you've made up your mind. At least you have a plan for moving forward.

Given the shaky consumer protection situation in Thailand, and the possibility that any fixed lens camera might end up with a contaminated sensor at some point in its life, it might be worth considering one of the smaller interchangeable lens models instead. It won't be quite as compact as the GRIII, but at least you'll be able to clean the sensor yourself, or have someone do it locally.

Good luck with whatever you choose
05-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #49

Original Poster
BigMackCam.........You know, I love Ricoh for their small size, these camera are really compact, I use them for over 10 years.

Apart from the stains the sensor of the GR III is really excelent but I can not accept this commercial policy and this lack of respect of the customer.

This camera is new, I discovered the problem after barely a month

I do not think Ricoh is responsible of this situation, it's just the official dealer of the country in which I live.

Do not worry, I have other DSLR cameras.

05-06-2019, 08:12 AM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my side I'm still waiting for a fair proposal from Ricoh to solve my dust problem...
First of all Ricoh proposed me to clean the sensor free of charge, normal because it is still under warranty, and propose to lend me another GR III during the repair....I ask my dealer for the replacement of my GR III by a new one. No positive answer so far.
OK...so, you are waiting for "fair proposal" from your dealer. Ricoh has already offered you warranty service and a loaner camera. If the dealer comes through for you, that is even better.

Steve
05-07-2019, 01:43 AM   #51

I consider that the cleaning of the sensor and the loan of a GR III is the bare minimum for a compact camera that has a month of age and that I paid 900 Euros (more than 1000 USD)
05-07-2019, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #52
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I consider that the cleaning of the sensor and the loan of a GR III is the bare minimum for a compact camera that has a month of age and that I paid 900 Euros (more than 1000 USD)
So, with respect, the issue here is between what you consider to be a bare minimum, and what Ricoh and/or the distributor or retailer will most likely offer. I've never heard of Ricoh (nor any other brand) giving out loan cameras during warranty work on consumer photography gear. This is the kind of facility normally offered by the likes of Canon and Nikon through their professional services operations to pro photographers who spend many tens of thousands of dollars, and not for typical consumers.

There have been numerous situations where Nikon DSLRs (D750, D850 etc.) were recalled for service due to a variety of different problems. These were all serviced under warranty and returned to the owners in due course. At no time did the consumers who'd bought these cameras receive loan units to use while their cameras were in the workshop. It's just not economical for a manufacturer to offer that service to the general public.

€900 / $1,000 may seem like a lot to you for a camera, but it's really not. My DA*60-250 lens cost more than that, and if it developed a problem I wouldn't expect to receive a loaner while mine was being fixed. I'm not saying I wouldn't appreciate it, but I certainly wouldn't expect it (and I'm pretty certain I wouldn't get it!). If Ricoh and other brands were to keep and manage stocks of loan cameras and lenses to give folks during warranty work, the cost of doing so would be passed on to the consumer. Your $1,000 camera would probably have cost $1,500 instead...

If your camera arrived new with that debris on the sensor, you could reasonably expect a refund or replacement. If it occurred during the early stages of shooting, you're under normal warranty cover (which is precisely what it's there for). I'm sure you'll get your sensor cleaned under warranty, but I'd be amazed if you're offered a loaner - and if that's what you're holding out for, I believe you're adding to the delay unnecessarily. Personally, I'd bite the bullet and send the camera in for service... the sooner that's done, the sooner it'll be back in your hands so you can enjoy it properly

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-07-2019 at 02:36 AM.
05-07-2019, 05:28 AM   #53

Original Poster
Ten years ago I had grease stains on a camera after ten months of use .... I did not need to ask, it was directly changed for free, it was a responsible decision.

For HEXE and me, or any other, whether it's dust or grease stains it is absolutely abnormal on a camera of barely a month and there should be no discussion, these camera should be changed or refund directly because it probably comes from a manufacturing defect .

I do not even understand why there is a subject for discussion.

I opened this thread simply to inform owners of the Ricoh GR III and see if I was an isolated case or not.

Now, I'm not a kid I'm 69 years old and I'm tired of this story.

If Ricoh decides not to assume I will not die but I will be disappointed.

The lesson is that you have to wait a while before buying a new model…
05-07-2019, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

The lesson is that you have to wait a while before buying a new model…
There is four pages of discussion here, Opal, with views different from yours, I hope you would have learnt more than that, actually!

Last edited by clackers; 05-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
05-07-2019, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ten years ago I had grease stains on a camera after ten months of use .... I did not need to ask, it was directly changed for free, it was a responsible decision.

For HEXE and me, or any other, whether it's dust or grease stains it is absolutely abnormal on a camera of barely a month and there should be no discussion, these camera should be changed or refund directly because it probably comes from a manufacturing defect .
I found out that my Tamron 10-24 lens had a problem a few weeks after I bought it, when I started to process some photos I'd taken whilst on vacation. It had been used for just a few days. The manufacturer did not replace it, but authorised it for warranty service. I sent the lens in and waited. No loaner lens was provided to me. I was a little disappointed, but these things happen. And the fact of the matter is, I was offered exactly what the warranty is supposed to provide... It took two or three attempts to receive a satisfactory result, but we got there in the end.

Consumer protection laws in most countries would cover you for refund or replacement if the camera was faulty or sub-standard upon delivery, but problems occurring after any period of use, from a few days to a few months, are covered by the normal warranty. There's nothing in Ricoh's warranty, nor that of any other camera manufacturer, that says "... but if you've only been using your camera for barely a month, the warranty doesn't apply - we'll just replace your camera, or provide a loan unit while yours is repaired".

It's disappointing that both you and HEXE have had problems with a contaminated sensor so early on in your ownership of the camera, and I completely understand why you'd like to be provided with service that is above and beyond the terms and conditions of your warranty, and the consumer protection laws of your country.

This thread serves as a useful example to all members that, whilst we might hope or wish for certain levels of service - and, on occasion, some reputable suppliers might go beyond their legal responsibilities to provide such service - all we can reasonably expect is that which is provided by consumer protection laws and the manufacturer's warranty - no more, and no less.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-07-2019 at 03:13 PM.
05-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #56

Maybe I'm lucky because I had a lot of camera of different brands in my life (Exakta, Leica M & R, Olympus, Ricoh, Pentax, Konica, Topcon...), I am 77, and I only had one problem with a camera. It was a Leica R3 Mot out of warranty. Leica repaired my camera and lent me one during the repair.

I do not have any negative opinion against Ricoh or Pentax. I always use 2 Ricoh GXR with 5 modules without any problem since 2010. I also use from time to time for fun a 1967 Pentax Spotmatic, which is still working perfectly.

I will inform you of the final solution to this problem but I do not intend to resell my camera later on as Opal.wants to do later on.
05-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #57
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe I'm lucky because I had a lot of camera of different brands in my life (Exakta, Leica M & R, Olympus, Ricoh, Pentax, Konica, Topcon...), I am 77, and I only had one problem with a camera. It was a Leica R3 Mot out of warranty. Leica repaired my camera and lent me one during the repair.

I do not have any negative opinion against Ricoh or Pentax. I always use 2 Ricoh GXR with 5 modules without any problem since 2010. I also use from time to time for fun a 1967 Pentax Spotmatic, which is still working perfectly.

I will inform you of the final solution to this problem but I do not intend to resell my camera later on as Opal.wants to do later on.
I'm genuinely interested to hear what the final solution is, HEXE, and sincerely hope you get a satisfactory end result
05-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So, with respect, the issue here is between what you consider to be a bare minimum, and what Ricoh and/or the distributor or retailer will most likely offer...
^ ^ ^ What they said. Whether one feels entitled to something depends on the person. I have purchased several cameras at price points higher than €900 and while I have been blessed with not having problems within the first month, I can quite honestly say that I respect the warranty statement that replacement or repair is at the discretion of the warrantor. I would suggest you be at your unresponsive dealer and grateful to Ricoh Europe. The offer of a loaner is really quite extraordinary on a sub-$5000 camera. But of course, I am not you.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-07-2019 at 11:14 AM.
05-07-2019, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I opened this thread simply to inform owners of the Ricoh GR III and see if I was an isolated case or not.
Based on the response both here and at DPReview, it appears that your experience is rare enough. It is likely that you will be provided with a clean sensor. If you decide to sell/trade for a competing product, it will be at a loss, but perhaps the replacement will be more resistant to contamination and worth the total cost to own.

Steve
05-10-2019, 02:42 AM   #60

Original Poster
Here are some news ...
My dealer called me this morning to tell me that he had received my GR III repaired by the authorized dealer of THAILAND
I went to get it, and as expected, it was not exchanged but repaired, which I do not like
I had lost the lense ring because it was too loose, it was replaced for free, but it is still so loose ...
As for the wobbly wheel, it has not been changed because supposedly not wobbly enough ... ..to be changed, it must be like on the video Ricoh, that is to say that when we move the center, it turns the outside, it is actually not the case on mine, it is just wobbly.... what does not seem to me very normal ...
Back home I photographed the sky at f16, f9, and f5.6, and there are actually no more spots, so I'll do with it.
I tried to negotiate to buy a Q2 by making the GR, but the dealer wanted to give me 35% less than the price paid, and no discount on the Q2 ...... so I dropped the case .......
One thing is certain, I would never go back to Ricoh in Thailand again ...