Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #16

Original Poster
Fenwoodian… since you do not seem to believe me, which is quite unpleasant...

I'm not a kid, I'm 69 years old ...

Here is the proof of my purchase of the Rico GR III ..... I hope that no one will make a bad use of these documents.

Attached Images

04-27-2019, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opal Quote
Unfortunately in Thailand there is not the same consumer protection as there is in Europe and the USA.
That is truly unfortunate, though in the USA (where I live), it is not our consumer protection laws that provide that level of customer service. If the camera was a recent purchase, reputable dealers will refund the purchase or provide a replacement from dealer stock and send the camera back to Ricoh for credit. The same is true for many other places in the world.

I am sorry for the suspicion regarding your post here. There are times when a person will set up an account solely for the purpose of complaining (a rant) about a Ricoh or Pentax product or the service they received from Ricoh/Pentax and then never post again. That type of action is considered unfriendly and not constructive. Quality reports from established users are much better received. We are here to share enthusiasm, expertise, and help, but the members here have no ability to influence the quality of goods or the outcome of complaints. This site is not operated by Ricoh/Pentax nor do they monitor activity here.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2019 at 11:37 PM.
04-28-2019, 03:19 AM   #18

I enjoy photography for 61 years with cameras of many brands, including Pentax and Ricoh. I still use GXR with different modules .
I bought mid march a brand new GR III in Paris. I was globally satisfied with my purchase, but a month later, I noticed an important shaped-worm spot on the sensor, clearly visible from F / 5.6. The vibrating cleaning system of the camera does’nt work at all, it’s obvious it’s not dust but rather fat. After careful control of the sensor surface, i find out another fatty spot. It’s unacceptable to sell a product whith such a gross defect. I suppose that Ricoh « a priori » neglected the importance of cleanliness and quality assurance during the assembly process of my GR III…
I reported this case to Ricoh Imaging Europe and my retailer last week. I've been waiting for a fair proposal to solve my problem which is quite the same as the one of Opal.
04-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HEXE Quote
I enjoy photography for 61 years with cameras of many brands, including Pentax and Ricoh. I still use GXR with different modules .
I bought mid march a brand new GR III in Paris. I was globally satisfied with my purchase, but a month later, I noticed an important shaped-worm spot on the sensor, clearly visible from F / 5.6. The vibrating cleaning system of the camera does’nt work at all, it’s obvious it’s not dust but rather fat. After careful control of the sensor surface, i find out another fatty spot. It’s unacceptable to sell a product whith such a gross defect. I suppose that Ricoh « a priori » neglected the importance of cleanliness and quality assurance during the assembly process of my GR III…
I reported this case to Ricoh Imaging Europe and my retailer last week. I've been waiting for a fair proposal to solve my problem which is quite the same as the one of Opal.
Welcome to the forums

As with @opal you have been unfortunate.

Thankfully, this doesn't seem to be a common issue and - thus far, at least - we can chalk it down to "just one of those things" that can happen with any camera model from any brand, rather than a systemic failure in manufacturing and/or quality control. If, however, a large number of users begin to notice the exact same issue, we might then reasonably suspect a problem - with the production line, or perhaps alternatively something in the camera's mechanics resulting in migration of lubricant or other matter onto the sensor after a short period of use. But we're a long way from making such assumptions with a sample size of just two.

Do let us know how you get on with Ricoh in resolving the situation?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-28-2019 at 08:33 AM.
04-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As with Opal, I am surprised your dealer did not offer you remedy directly.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Do let us know how you get on with Ricoh in resolving the situation?
What he said ^ ^ ^

With any luck, they will respond with a replacement copy of the GIII that is free from issues and which will serve you well. We are looking forward to seeing your photos and sharing your insights regarding the camera.

Steve
04-28-2019, 12:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Considering the big, long, rollout of this camera, I'm surprised to hear of this problem ..... I hope the rollout indicates Ricoh has enough of themselves invested in this product that they will get this problem dealt with expeditiously!
04-29-2019, 02:24 AM   #22

Original Poster
Here are some news,

This morning I went to talk with my dealer in Chiang Mai and asked for a refund .... but he said that the refund did not exist in Thailand because the Thai importer did not do it….bad news….

He also told me that he had requested the exchange but he was not sure that it would be accepted ...

I hope someone from Ricoh read this thread because I lost all confidence in the brand.

04-29-2019, 03:10 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some news,

This morning I went to talk with my dealer in Chiang Mai and asked for a refund .... but he said that the refund did not exist in Thailand because the Thai importer did not do it….bad news….

He also told me that he had requested the exchange but he was not sure that it would be accepted ...

I hope someone from Ricoh read this thread because I lost all confidence in the brand.
I'm sorry to hear that, François

It's completely understandable that you're disappointed - but to lose all confidence in the brand because you were unlucky enough to receive one bad unit out of thousands sold seems, with respect, excessive. No manufacturer of any product can claim 100% perfection in production and quality control. That's simply not attainable in a mass production environment. I'm sure you'll buy other products from other brands in future - perhaps a computer, television, phone, motor car. The chances are reasonably high that one of those products will also be faulty, or will quickly develop a fault. Will you lose all confidence in that brand too?

I confess, I don't understand the refund situation. Is your dealer (Photo Bug) an authorised Ricoh / Pentax stockist? Is the importer an authorised importer / distributor? If so, I'm confused as to why refund is not an available option. Have you looked into the consumer protection laws in Thailand to establish your rights? In any case, whilst the dealer / importer situation is clearly frustrating, it's not Ricoh at fault here. Assuming your dealer and the importer are both part of the official supply chain, you might consider contacting Ricoh directly and asking for their assistance.

Again, I sincerely hope you manage to resolve the matter to your satisfaction. Please let us know how you progress?

EDIT: I've since looked briefly at consumer rights for Thailand. It appears that refunds are almost impossible to obtain, but exchanges on faulty new goods are quite common. I think that would be your best option - to request an exchange for a replacement unit, and if you encounter resistance to that, politely but firmly insist. Of course, it may mean that you have to wait while they get another unit in stock, but so be it. Again, this is not Ricoh's fault nor a reflection on the brand, but simply the way things operate in Thailand, it would seem Alternatively, if you must have a refund, I understand that the OCPB (Office of Consumer Protection Board) offer free assistance in such matters...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-29-2019 at 03:54 AM.
04-29-2019, 04:37 AM   #24

Original Poster
BigMackCam…..Thank you for that answer.

The biggest problem in Thailand is communication, I speak a little Thai but it is a very difficult language.

As a foreigner here, I have to be very very humble I do not have to make waves, I do not have the same rights as Thai people.

It's a nice but very special culture, nobody wants to upset anyone else.

My dealer will not do anything to the importer for fear of retaliation, it's like this here, I live here for 10 years and I accept it.

I know there are problems with all the brands but I already had a problem of dust on the sensor of a GR before the GR III and I was hoping that Ricoh would have improved this problem on this new model, that's why I lost confidence.
04-29-2019, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Opal, as pointed out to you, this forum is not owned by or connected with Pentax/Ricoh, you need to take your unfortunate situation up with them and their Thai distributor.

Just so you understand, this is a fansite, run by and content provided by us camera owners.
04-29-2019, 05:21 AM   #26

Original Poster
clackers...No problem, I am just here to inform of my problem with this new model and I wanted to know if I was the only one.

Sorry if I bothered you, I would not post anything again…

I thought that might interest the Ricoh camera enthusiasts.

Do not be afraid, I'm not here to criticize, I had bought every Ricoh digital camera since the GX 2000 more than ten years ago.
04-29-2019, 08:19 AM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest problem in Thailand is communication, I speak a little Thai but it is a very difficult language.

As a foreigner here, I have to be very very humble I do not have to make waves, I do not have the same rights as Thai people.

It's a nice but very special culture, nobody wants to upset anyone else.

My dealer will not do anything to the importer for fear of retaliation, it's like this here, I live here for 10 years and I accept it.
Yes, I've been reading up on it a little, and what you say very much reflects what I've read. Folks in the USA, Canada, Europe and Australasia tend to take for granted the excellent consumer protection laws, and the retail culture that favours the buyer when problems occur. On the other hand, you enjoy much better weather!!

I know there are problems with all the brands but I already had a problem of dust on the sensor of a GR before the GR III and I was hoping that Ricoh would have improved this problem on this new model, that's why I lost confidence.
I understand. Yet, I think it's worth separating the dust issue you had with the GR and this suspected grease issue on your new GRIII...

Sensor dust on the GR and GRII isn't unique to those cameras or the Ricoh brand, but something that all fixed lens cameras are at risk from... especially those with lens barrels that move in and out. If you search online, you'll find reports of Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus, Panasonic - even Leica - fixed lens cameras that have suffered dust on the sensor. I've no reason to believe the GR series cameras are (significantly) more prone to this issue than other brands. Yes, some folks have experienced dust... but the majority haven't.

Regarding your GRIII issue - if in fact it is grease, then it's not the same problem as dust getting into the camera. Assuming it wasn't there to begin with, it must be migrating from somewhere. My guess (though that's all it is) would be that it's related to the shutter mechanism, since that's directly in front of the sensor. Again, this isn't unique to Ricoh. There have been examples of other brands suffering similar problems. That doesn't make it acceptable, of course... but hopefully it puts the situation in perspective.

My interest here isn't to convince you Ricoh is wonderful, but only to show that you've no reason to expect better from other brands. Given a large enough sample group, you'll find problems (often the same problems) with all of them
04-29-2019, 09:38 AM   #28

I understand your argument very well. Of course statiscally speaking Opal and I represent a very small percentage of the cameras sold, but for each of us it's a 100% problem!.Herewith an attachment showing the beautiful worm-shaped spot o my sensor..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
04-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #29
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand your argument very well. Of course statiscally speaking Opal and I represent a very small percentage of the cameras sold, but for each of us it's a 100% problem!.Herewith an attachment showing the beautiful worm-shaped spot o my sensor..
Of course... and I do sympathise

Interestingly, the contamination on your sensor looks very different to Opal's. Yours looks like a fibre, or possibly an insect hair fragment. Opal's could be dust, pollen or grease spots. Either way, whilst both of you have contaminated sensors, it's unclear at this stage if it's even for the same reason...
04-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ricoh does not monitor posts on this site and we have no leverage with them.
Posting a public service announcement here regarding a personal bad experience is acceptable and it will come up in a Google search and possibly influence eventual creation of a rumor of pervasive poor quality assurance regarding manufacturing diligence or camera dust seals. While such may be true, it is not the purpose of this site to help create a surge of opinion to bolster claims.

I suggest that your dealer bears the greatest burden here, but customs do vary around the globe.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-29-2019 at 10:50 AM.