Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2019, 11:03 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HEXE Quote
Herewith an attachment showing the beautiful worm-shaped spot o my sensor..
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Interestingly, the contamination on your sensor looks very different to Opal's.
Yes...it looks like a fiber or short hair with bulb or articulation point attached; without some sense of scale, it is hard to say. I don't see the second spot of "fat".

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-29-2019 at 11:09 AM.
04-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I understand your argument very well. Of course statiscally speaking Opal and I represent a very small percentage of the cameras sold, but for each of us it's a 100% problem!.Herewith an attachment showing the beautiful worm-shaped spot o my sensor..
HEXE there clearly seems to be something stuck on your sensor. Which is not the same as what opal is posting. Since the dust shake removal system isn't dislodging what ever is there you may want to get a cauldron if you don't already have one then try out this remedy to clean the sensor:

QuoteQuote:
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.
I would substitute the fillet of fenny snake with your GRIII.

Good Luck.
04-29-2019, 07:22 PM   #33

Original Poster
I feel that my approach in this thread is not understood and I'm sorry for those who misinterpreted my words and I apologize to them.

I have no intention of criticizing Ricoh or getting anything from them.

It is because I am a fan of these small cameras for a long time that I would like to inform that maybe there is a problem, and I strongly hope that the case of HEXE and mine are only isolated and exceptional cases.

When I say that I hope someone from Ricoh is reading this thread, it's just so they know that there may be a problem with some series and that they can be informed………… nothing else
04-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opal Quote
I feel that my approach in this thread is not understood and I'm sorry for those who misinterpreted my words and I apologize to them.

I have no intention of criticizing Ricoh or getting anything from them.

It is because I am a fan of these small cameras for a long time that I would like to inform that maybe there is a problem, and I strongly hope that the case of HEXE and mine are only isolated and exceptional cases.

When I say that I hope someone from Ricoh is reading this thread, it's just so they know that there may be a problem with some series and that they can be informed………… nothing else
No need to apologise - We know how frustrating a fault with one's camera can be. And, by the sounds of it, you're getting pretty poor dealer service. If I was you, I'd politely but firmly insist on a replacement product from the dealer. They can figure out the details with the supplier.

04-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No need to apologise - We know how frustrating a fault with one's camera can be. And, by the sounds of it, you're getting pretty poor dealer service. If I was you, I'd politely but firmly insist on a replacement product from the dealer. They can figure out the details with the supplier.
Either the dealer or the distributor is a problem.
04-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #36

Original Poster
My dealer has just called me, the Thailand official supplier tells him that it is not grease but dust. which is rather curious since this camera is equipped with an anti dust system, has only one month, and that I always transported it in a pouch.

He refuses to make an exchange because Ricoh did not report other cases and as a result there is no recall campaign.

This means that it will be disassembled and repaired, as well as I do not like it on a camera that has only one month…….. I think this can opens the door to further problems.

I repeat again I'm in a country where there is no consumer protection and my dealer is a small shop that has nothing to do with big trader tha you have in the USA Like B&H or Adorama.

Here is, this story is over
04-30-2019, 07:19 AM   #37
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My dealer has just called me, the Thailand official supplier tells him that it is not grease but dust. which is rather curious since this camera is equipped with an anti dust system, has only one month, and that I always transported it in a pouch.
Dust reduction systems in cameras can only do so much. Typically, they vibrate the sensor to shake any dust free (in some cameras, a sticky surface in the area in front of the sensor catches it). But even in larger DSLR and mirrorless systems with dust reduction, it's occasionally necessary to use a blower or gel stick to clean the sensor, as some dust simply won't shake free.

He refuses to make an exchange because Ricoh did not report other cases and as a result there is no recall campaign.

This means that it will be disassembled and repaired, as well as I do not like it on a camera that has only one month…….. I think this can opens the door to further problems.

I repeat again I'm in a country where there is no consumer protection and my dealer is a small shop that has nothing to do with big trader tha you have in the USA Like B&H or Adorama.

Sorry to hear that. It's a shame that Thailand doesn't offer better consumer protection, but I guess that's just the way it is. Although disassembly and cleaning / repair isn't your preference (and I can understand why), at least you've been offered this and should end up with a clean sensor once the work is completed.

I wonder if part of the problem with refund or exchange is that your retailer, PHOTO BUG, isn't an authorised Ricoh / Pentax dealer? I looked online and could only find one authorised Pentax dealer in Thailand, "East Enterprises Co. Ltd." in Bangkok...

04-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #38

Original Poster
Yes " East Enterprises Co. Ltd. "in Bangkok is like an importer and he sells to stores like "Photo Bug" all around Thailand , but I think these stores are not official resellers.

Trade rules are quite special here...
04-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #39
Veteran Member

opal I am sure the story isn't over. You have sent in the camera for warranty repair to Ricoh. Ricoh already has a notice that GRIII's like yours with the wobbly control button can be sent in to be fixed which means they will be disassembled and repaired. So they will clean the "dust" out of yours as well when they make the repair you are already entitled too. Certainly living in Thailand doesn't exclude you from this service Ricoh has offered.

If it is dust in your GRIII as the Thailand official supplier claims it must be on the lens elements. If the dust were on the sensor it would look like what HEXE posted. Maybe HEXE finally figured out how to use the IBIS dust removal function to shake that thing off.

You have already set up your future posts about how this will open the door to further problems which leads us back to whether your story is really over yet. My experience with half a dozen service repairs like this over the years the repair went fine and the cameras were fixed as new.
04-30-2019, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Trade rules are quite special here...
Consumer protection was once very poor here, and everywhere in fact. Not so long ago, you could be sold snake oil and receive a punch for complaining it didn't work. Only by changing things will they change. Start a campaign, vote for people who promise change, boycott those who offer the worst service and only buy from those who offer the best. When making a profit depends on giving good service, sellers will want to change. When failing leads to fines and prison, they will want to change quicker.

But it seems Ricoh is giving the best service they can from afar. In contrast, I have just returned my wobbly-dialled unit and received a new non-wobbly one, plus a free spare battery, plus free round-trip shipping, all completed in 3 days. It is possible to get there, just be part of the voice for change.
05-05-2019, 12:23 AM   #41

Hi Opal; What's new with your retailer and the Ricoh after sales service inThailand? On my side I'm still waiting for a fair proposal from Ricoh to solve my dust problem...
05-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #42
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Opal; What's new with your retailer and the Ricoh after sales service inThailand? On my side I'm still waiting for a fair proposal from Ricoh to solve my dust problem...
Out of curiosity, HEXE, could you share what's happened so far in relation to your issue? I assume you bought from an authorised Ricoh dealer, and on that basis you should have no problem getting the camera serviced under warranty, or possibly even replaced (which is what I'd push for) through your supplier. What are your expectations from Ricoh, and what (if anything) has been offered thus far? This kind of information would be useful to our other members...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-05-2019 at 01:29 AM.
05-05-2019, 03:47 AM   #43

I bought my Gr III to an authorised Ricoh dealer very well known in Paris. I use to buy my photo equipment to this dealer since 2010 and I have been always satisfied with ihm. First of all Ricoh proposed me to clean the sensor free of charge, normal because it is still under warranty, and propose to lend me another GR III during the repair. Since I knew that the Ricoh after sales service based in Germany was not very efficient in the past, I ask my dealer for the replacement of my GR III by a new one. No positive answer so far.
05-05-2019, 05:23 AM   #44

Original Poster
HEXE……..My dealer sent the camera to the Thai official supplier.
The supplier said it's not grease but dust .....
I have doubts because I already had grease stains on another camera and it was exactly the same aspect.
The supplier refuses to change the camera and will clean it with all possible risks .... I find it regrettable on a camera that has only one month.
I was hoping for an exchange because I would not trust this camera anymore, but as I said above there is no consumer protection in the country where I live……I do not have a choice....
05-05-2019, 06:19 AM   #45

I consider it's a pity that Ricoh does not accepte to replace your GR III.

Like you, I have limited confidence in the ability of the after sales service to do this job properly. I have known in the past some cases of defective GXR which returned from the german after sales services, certainly repaired from the initial defect, but returned with new with defects that did not exist before ... it's why I am a bit reluctant with the sensor cleaning of a brand new camera which imposes disassembly.