Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2019, 08:31 AM   #1

Grease stains on my new GR III sensor

Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum.

I am 69 years old, I am French but I live in Thailand.

I am very disapointed with my new GR III.

I discovered a lot of grease spots on the sensor.

Here are some pictures of that.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
04-27-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You would return the camera to where you bought it. You would ask for a refund or you would ask for a replacement.
04-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

That is indeed disappointing. You got a bad unit... It's not typical, but as with any other product, it happens occasionally. As @biz-engineer suggested, ask for a replacement (or refund if you prefer). You've every right to expect the supplier to make good on your purchase.

Let us know how you get on?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-27-2019 at 09:20 AM.
04-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opal Quote
I discovered a lot of grease spots on the sensor.
Grease? Not dust?

Do you have the dust removal function switched on?

04-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Highly likely that your camera was used as a demonstrator before being sold to you. The marks are probably just dust spots. Can be removed with a rocket blower. Camera retailers should not sell you a demo camera as new, but it happens. How many shutter activations did it have when you bought it ?
04-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Highly likely that your camera was used as a demonstrator before being sold to you. The marks are probably just dust spots. Can be removed with a rocket blower. Camera retailers should not sell you a demo camera as new, but it happens. How many shutter activations did it have when you bought it ?
I have a sneaking suspicion the OP may be the last we hear of this.
04-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I have a sneaking suspicion the OP may be the last we hear of this.
Frankly, I hope not. We all know that the occasional instance of any new camera (or other equipment) can pass through production with issues, though its typically rare. It would be good to confirm if this camera was indeed brand new, a demonstrator or used. Even if it's a demonstrator or used, dust spots at this early stage still isn't good. But if the camera came off the production line this way, the supplier should replace the item...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-27-2019 at 03:08 PM.
04-27-2019, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Frankly, I hope not. We all know that the occasional instance of any new camera (or other equipment) can pass through production with issues, though its typically rare. It would be good to confirm if this camera was indeed brand new, a demonstrator or used. Even if it's a demonstrator or used, dust spots at this early stage isn't good. But if the camera came off the production line this way, the supplier should replace the item...
Ours is not the only site where this is being discussed.

Grease stains on the GR III sensor: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

@opal is a very unhappy owner. They had dust in their GRII and is certain this is grease because they had similar fouling on a Canon S90. Bad luck all around . With any luck they will report back their experience with their vendor.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2019 at 03:17 PM.
04-27-2019, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ours is not the only site where this is being discussed.
Ah, OK. Thanks for that, Steve.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
@opal is a very unhappy owner. With any luck they will report back their experience with their vendor.
Gotcha. Well... I'd be disappointed too. However, I'd like to assume our new member is wise enough to realise these things can happen with any product. One bad sample is not a reflection on the product or manufacturer. If fifty folks reported the same issue and provided similar evidence, then we might have a problem on our hands... In any case, let's hope we hear more on this and the resolution process...

EDIT: OK, I just read through our new member's posts in that thread on DPR. I don't buy the grease explanation without further evidence, but it sounds like the issue will be dealt with through warranty. And, since this isn't a widely-reported problem, we can put it down to "just one of those unfortunate things". Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Fujifilm, Panasonic, Leica owners have all been subject to different but equally frustrating rarities...
04-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hope he didn't join to vent to us rather than his retailer!

04-27-2019, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@opal, it looks more like dust than grease, but I guess the latter is possible.

If the spots aren't shifting with the sensor shake feature, you are perfectly within your rights to insist on a replacement or return. A rocket blower will of course be no help at all.

If you ever return to this thread, please let us know how you go
04-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
@opal, it looks more like dust than grease, but I guess the latter is possible.

If the spots aren't shifting with the sensor shake feature, you are perfectly within your rights to insist on a replacement or return. A rocket blower will of course be no help at all.

If you ever return to this thread, please let us know how you go

I agree. The photos posted look like dust to me too.

Also, I take with a grain of salt comments like this from a new member who's never posted here before.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 04-27-2019 at 08:06 PM.
04-27-2019, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Hello everybody,

I already answer on the other thread " Does the new Ricoh GR lll get dust on the
sensor ?" but I will answer here too because I think you ask yourself the same
questions

I will try to answer all your questions.

I am a Ricoh camera user since the GX 200

I was affected by dust disease on the GR and I was hoping that Ricoh would be more attentive to the built quality for the GR III

I know it's grease and not dust because I've already had this problem with a Canon a long time ago and in addition the GR III has an ultrasonic vibrations dust system remover.

My camera is also affected by the wobbly control dial problem and I also lost the lens ring that was too loose……my serial number is part of the numbers provided by Ricoh for this problem
Ricoh has a real problem of built quality on this model

My dealer is someone honest I've known for a long time, it is "Photo Bug" in Chiang Mai Thailand, so it is not a demonstration camera.

I returned the camera last week and he sent it to Ricoh Bangkok and I do not know what will happen now.

It's me who opened a thread on DpReview under the name of Opal75, and another member named HEXE has the same problem as me, for now we are only two.
04-27-2019, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opal Quote
I returned the camera last week and he sent it to Ricoh Bangkok and I do not know what will happen now.
Thanks for checking back! I am surprised your dealer did not simply replace the camera from his stock rather than putting it in for warranty repair. Given the multiple issues with your copy, if it were me, I probably would have asked for a refund.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2019 at 09:40 PM.
04-27-2019, 10:33 PM   #15

Original Poster
No more stock he got very little it's a very requested camera and I think it's not him who decides but Ricoh in Bangkok.

Unfortunately in Thailand there is not the same consumer protection as there is in Europe and the USA.

I gave him the files with the photos.