Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

GRIII doesn't show up as a USB device on a MacBook

Hi

When I connect my (beautiful) new GRIII to my MacBook via the USB cable it doesn't show up as a device allowing me to access the images on the SD card. I've tried various combinations of with camera on/off etc.

I contacted my great local camera dealer (who sold me the camera) and he also finds the same problem with a new one in the shop. It works on a PC but not on a Mac!

Are Ricoh aware of this problem?

I believe a work around is to use "Android File Transfer" which is not really a great solution.

Kind regards

RiversideRich

05-30-2019, 11:43 AM   #2

Have you tried changing the USB Transfer Mode in the Setup Menu?
05-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
jup

Have you tried the latest firmware, 1.11? They mentioned some (cryptic) fix related to Mac: Latest GR III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING.
05-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Update to the latest firmware update 1.11, they just released it a day or 2 ago.

05-31-2019, 05:37 AM   #5

Updated to 1.11 and still doesn't work

I updated the camera to 1.11 and my Mac still doesn't show the SD card. Mac Photos, which is not an editor that I use, does see the camera however.
05-31-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jayscue Quote
I updated the camera to 1.11 and my Mac still doesn't show the SD card. Mac Photos, which is not an editor that I use, does see the camera however.
Interesting. If Photos works I'd try the App Image Capture (German: Digitale Bilder). I use it to import photographs into a specified directory on my MacOS systems where I start a script that applies some Exiftool commands. Also works with iOS devices. I can recommend it strongly.
05-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Then you've got the camera in the wrong USB mode.

Last edited by clackers; 05-31-2019 at 01:51 PM.
06-01-2019, 03:59 AM   #8

I did a search of the manual on 'USB' and couldn't find anything on USB mode. How do you change that?
06-01-2019, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a search of the manual on 'USB' and couldn't find anything on USB mode. How do you change that?
Ah, the Mac OS itself (or rather, the Finder) doesn't support the MTP protocol.

You might give this a go from Google:

https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Or pull out the card and put it into a reader.

06-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RiversideRich Quote
Hi

When I connect my (beautiful) new GRIII to my MacBook via the USB cable it doesn't show up as a device allowing me to access the images on the SD card. I've tried various combinations of with camera on/off etc.

I contacted my great local camera dealer (who sold me the camera) and he also finds the same problem with a new one in the shop. It works on a PC but not on a Mac!

Are Ricoh aware of this problem?

I believe a work around is to use "Android File Transfer" which is not really a great solution.

Kind regards

RiversideRich
Thanks all for the comments. I have also tried firmware 1.11 and its the same. Its a problem Ricoh need to address. Can we all log this as a support issue with Ricoh please. There are not any settings needed in the menus! You should be able to simply plug it into a Mac and it be accessible as a drive, JUST as it works on a PC!

Thanks all!!

Rich
06-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #11

It's doesn't look like a Rioch problem to me. Rather MTP (an Android IOS protocol) not being natively supported by Apple/Mac OS. Probably a licensing issue, Android IOS being a rival of Apple/Mac OS.

Just do a Web search on "MTP transfer Mac" and you'll see there is no native support in the Mac OS. Apps like IPhoto will support MTP though. The most common solution is to use Android file transfer app that @clackers linked above.
06-03-2019, 09:56 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

Or pull out the card and put it into a reader.
Yop. This.
This would be my solution no matter the camera. If one doesn't need tethering or anything else but data transfer, no need fussing over drivers and specific camera support.
USB3 card readers are bought for peanuts these days.
06-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #13
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's doesn't look like a Rioch problem to me. Rather MTP (an Android IOS protocol) not being natively supported by Apple/Mac OS. Probably a licensing issue, Android IOS being a rival of Apple/Mac OS.

Just do a Web search on "MTP transfer Mac" and you'll see there is no native support in the Mac OS. Apps like IPhoto will support MTP though. The most common solution is to use Android file transfer app that @clackers linked above.
There IS a Ricoh problem here. Page 110 of the GR3 manual makes NO mention that the camera may not be recognized by a Mac. The memo at the bottom of the page refers to the system requirements on page 152, which indicate that the last 5 Mac OS versions, starting with the current (Mojave, 10.14), can make a USB connection with the camera. No mention is made that MTP transfer protocol must be supported.

I found this confusing for far too long, and this thread got it straightened out for me. I got the Android file transfer app to get the transfer to work, but Ricoh should have this information in their GR3 manual.

So, at the least, this is a documentation error - a lack of required information.

Personally, I would prefer that the GR3 support the same USB protocol that all my Pentax cameras support, even if a USB protocol selection must be done in the GR3 menus.

By the way, the GR3 is a terrific walkaround camera. So many times, a DSLR is just not needed, and the GR3 fits in my pocket. Lousy battery life though, if you want to shoot everything in sight. A few lightweight batteries fix that problem, though. Still fits in my pocket.
06-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

?

The specifications clearly say MTP for USB, Ted.

Note that Mac Photos and similar apps work by USB, this has already been said in the thread.

The issue is getting it to appear as a *mounted disk*, and this is an Apple problem, their Finder does not support this industry standard. Other OSes do.

Glad you're enjoying the GR3, I really like my GR2.

Last edited by clackers; 06-15-2019 at 10:32 PM.
06-15-2019, 10:55 PM   #15
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
?

The specifications clearly say MTP for USB, Ted.

Note that Mac Photos and similar apps work by USB, this has already been said in the thread.

The issue is getting it to appear as a *mounted disk*, and this is an Apple problem, their Finder does not support this industry standard. Other OSes do!
But the manual says nothing at the USEFUL pages (110, 152) that I pointed out. I use the "mounted disk" method of access, so using an extra "app" is a foreign thing to me. Copy to computer, then process in Photoshop. Finder should be able to pick up all "disks". Ricoh does not inform me that Macs may be defective, and their camera may require workarounds (none of the "Pentax" cameras do) to work with a standard Mac, so I think maybe my camera is broken, and have to go online to discover that information is lacking for my performing the transfer.

A confusing part is that plugging in the camera via USB puts it in playback mode, as expected, so the camera knows about the computer connection, then it just sits there with NO indication that anything is wrong. The Mac also just sits there, not knowing anything is happening. Looks like something is wrong, maybe broken. Try several cables, several Macs - all the same result. So I come here to find the missing information.

The specs using the term "MTP" conveyed no meaning to me, and I was not aware that other standards might be in use for accessing files on cameras. I have not been following the phone-based additions to standards (retired from a career in data communications), so having the camera-computer transfer mechanism that has been working for me for years be broken by Ricoh selecting a standard that is not compatible with what has worked with Macs for all those years was quite a confusing surprise. I'm sure that you see my point.

That's all.