Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2019, 11:23 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
But the manual says nothing at the USEFUL pages (110, 152) that I pointed out. I use the "mounted disk" method of access, so using an extra "app" is a foreign thing to me. Copy to computer, then process in Photoshop. Finder should be able to pick up all "disks". Ricoh does not inform me that Macs may be defective, and their camera may require workarounds (none of the "Pentax" cameras do) to work with a standard Mac, so I think maybe my camera is broken, and have to go online to discover that information is lacking for my performing the transfer.

A confusing part is that plugging in the camera via USB puts it in playback mode, as expected, so the camera knows about the computer connection, then it just sits there with NO indication that anything is wrong. The Mac also just sits there, not knowing anything is happening. Looks like something is wrong, maybe broken. Try several cables, several Macs - all the same result. So I come here to find the missing information.

The specs using the term "MTP" conveyed no meaning to me, and I was not aware that other standards might be in use for accessing files on cameras. I have not been following the phone-based additions to standards (retired from a career in data communications), so having the camera-computer transfer mechanism that has been working for me for years be broken by Ricoh selecting a standard that is not compatible with what has worked with Macs for all those years was quite a confusing surprise. I'm sure that you see my point.

That's all.
Using a Mac (as I do several times a week), you're used to this, Ted - in fact you're expected to put up with it.

06-16-2019, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #17

Media Tranfer Protocol is Android's data protocol, not an industry standard. If it were an ISO protocol Apple's Finder would support it. If you plug in via USB an Android device like a Samsung Galaxy S8 Finder is not going to see it as a drive. Does that make it Samsung's problem?

Back in the 90s when Macs were using SCSI drives if I hooked up let's say a LaCie external drive that had been initialized for use on a Mac to my Windows PC I couldn't access the data on the drive unless I either networked a Mac to my PC or installed the Apple Share drivers from Apple. Was that a LaCIe problem? If I pulled a Quantum SCSI drive out of a Mac and mounted the drive in my Windows PC on a SCSI card I wouldn't be able to read the data without Apple Share. Was that a Quantum problem?

Apple wants to sell you Apple devices and apps, not Android.
06-16-2019, 02:38 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Media Tranfer Protocol is Android's data protocol
It isn't.

It's origin is as a Windows protocol, but lots of brands use it, it is an industry standard - a defacto standard, not a dejure one.

So are FAT and NTFS, both supported to varying degrees by the Finder.
06-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Using a Mac (as I do several times a week), you're used to this, Ted - in fact you're expected to put up with it.
Not just Apple. Back in the '70s, when I started in computer-based products, I adopted the slogan, for any computer system, "It all sucks, let's get the job done." This was always applicable to all development environments, system code that we built on, hardware that we had to use, etc. But we did the job. Oh, I never used Apple products in my professional career. Just at home, where it sucks more and more with time. I've used Windows a fair amount at work, and many other systems most have never heard of. All systems have their brand of suckage. Just have to get over it and do what needs to be done.

Oh, defacto standards are a great source of suckage, where systems don't talk to each other. Seen that so many times.

Enough war stories.

06-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
All systems have their brand of suckage.
(Laughs)

11-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #21

Hey, Ricoh. Solve this usb to Mac connection issue

This issue has not yet been addressed by Ricoh. I have been loving this camera until now. Out of town and left my card reader at home. I connected the camera to my mac with the usb cable, and nothing happened. Every Pentax I own works when connected to my computer, but not my Ricoh. Same company, different usb protocol. This issue has been discussed over a year ago on this forum. What's up with that?
11-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Captn Ahab Quote
This issue has not yet been addressed by Ricoh. I have been loving this camera until now. Out of town and left my card reader at home. I connected the camera to my mac with the usb cable, and nothing happened. Every Pentax I own works when connected to my computer, but not my Ricoh. Same company, different usb protocol. This issue has been discussed over a year ago on this forum. What's up with that?
Macs still do not support MTP, Captn Ahab.

Windows does.

02-16-2021, 04:54 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My GR III does connect via a USB-C cable to my Mac Mini. The only thing is: I need to launch Image Capture (an Apple piece of software I still have around). The camera shows as a connected device and I can copy the files.

Bluetooth doesn't show up the Ricoh on my Mac, and what I can do with WiFi is unclear: the manual is extremely poor. To include both options and then fail to make them transparent is not great.
03-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #24
dbs
Pentaxian

Windows and Mac to both read the same 3 rd party devices all the time .......
...... maybe in the 23 century
03-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #25

What's sad is that this is an issue that can be easily avoided. It's a detail that makes the difference between a good product and a great product; A good company and mediocre one. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of pre-production planning.It's doubtful that Ricoh intended to create this problem. But once being made aware of the issue, the company should be responsible (and responsive) and solve it.
03-29-2022, 04:03 AM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
My GR III does connect via a USB-C cable to my Mac Mini. The only thing is: I need to launch Image Capture (an Apple piece of software I still have around). The camera shows as a connected device and I can copy the files.

Bluetooth doesn't show up the Ricoh on my Mac, and what I can do with WiFi is unclear: the manual is extremely poor. To include both options and then fail to make them transparent is not great.
Thank you for the helpful reply. This has just solved the same problem for me and the K3 iii.

No thanks to all those who cluttered up this thread with pointless arguments about history and fault

Paul
03-29-2022, 08:35 AM   #27

What's sad is that this is an issue that can be easily avoided. It's a detail that makes the difference between a good product and a great product; A good company and mediocre one. It's not a matter of money, it's a matter of pre-production planning.It's doubtful that Ricoh intended to create this problem. But once being made aware of the issue, the company should be responsible (and responsive) and solve it.
Thanks, indeed. I now have a solution to a problem I didn't know existed. I recently got the K3 iii but I have not yet connected it to my Mac. My appologies for
the pointless rant on this thread.
03-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Macs still do not support MTP, Captn Ahab.

Windows does.

That's a choice by Apple to ignore the sharing protocol.
03-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_R_H Quote
Thank you for the helpful reply. This has just solved the same problem for me and the K3 iii.
That is PTP, Paul, which is supported by Macs.

It does not allow you access to the file system of the card. For instance, you can't copy a firmware upgrade onto it by that method.

But it will let an imaging program access the pictures, and for many people that's enough.
08-17-2022, 05:56 AM   #30

Hi,

Long time Ricoh GR II user, but new to the GR IIIx. like everyone here I have had a hard time using the IIIx with the OSX Photos app, however, I found a weird workaround.

STEPS:
1. Plug USB-C into camera and laptop
2. Launch Photos app and wait for it to recognize camera (you won't see any photos)
3. turn camera on and snap 1 or more photos in JPEG mode (not RAW or RAW+)
4. All photos on camera should appear in the photos app and you can import them into your library.

CAVEAT: This workaround doesn't provide the ability to delete images that have been imported into your photos library. You will need to delete or format the card from the camera.

This leads me to believe that there is an issue in the Ricoh firmware (I have updated to 1.11 and the issue persists) not OSX or the Photos app. This issue is really unfortunate because I use it as a daily snapshot camera and use images, for the most part, straight out of the camera. I would love it if people could try to replicate this and help bring it to Ricoh's attention. I really love my IIIx, but I miss the easy osx Photos workflow that I enjoyed with my GR II.