Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t belie-e-e-e-eve it! 🤣
07-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The GR III is the best camera ever made
He's more a publicist than a photographer. It could be seen as clickbait to sell more camera straps and street photography courses.

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I don’t belie-e-e-e-eve it!
Look at is as being part of a cunning plan.
07-24-2019, 12:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be clickbait, but there are other models/brands that would generate him many more clicks with such a statement... Haven't watched the video yet (the guy makes me nervous), but he's entitled to his opinion... ;-) There are days that I tend to agree with the general statement BTW... :-D

EDIT: watched the video now. Didn't make me too nervous (I think I confused him with Kai W, who does). Mostly about High Contrast B&W and the 21mm adapter, both of which he loves. Good for him.

Last edited by Ishpuini; 07-24-2019 at 03:06 AM.
07-24-2019, 01:05 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

A reasonable claim, I'd say, based on my experience with the "original" GR It really is an exceptional camera. The controls made sense to me right off the bat, clearly made by photographers rather than just engineers.

Umm, I haven't watched the video yet, but I'm fully behind the headliner claim
07-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
He's a big fan of the GR, but has road tested and reviewed a number of more 'lucrative' models, the GFX50 for example, but always comes back to singing the praises of the GR.

But to put context around it, he's a street photographer who firmly believes you should have a camera in your pocket 24/7 and values responsiveness and handling, so really the GR is the only camera that fits his style perfectly.
07-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow.

I have a Ricoh GR ll, not a lll I know, but a ll and so far I'm quite pleased with it. Best camera ever, I dunno.

I do really like my Pentax K-1 and yes, I know different type of camera, different design goals, etc...and as my mom would of said, comparisons are odious.

However the Ricoh GR series...no doubt in my mind, that they are excellent cameras, an excellent series that has evolved well...keeping the important parts, while slowly and wisely improving the breed with each new iteration..

Kind of what VW did, back in the days of the air cooled VW. It was a gradually evolving...slowly bringing in improvement that were based on a solid foundation.

That's my view and I'm glad I took the plunge into Ricoh 'GR...dom. '

07-25-2019, 04:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I do really like my Pentax K-1 and yes, I know different type of camera, different design goals, etc...
Absolutely, a fine camera. When I was shooting with K3II, there were plenty of shots I could get that I can't dream of with the GR....if I had it on me, and had the right lens on me too. Then it becomes an issue of which kit do I take, what to leave behind, which bag will I need that will fit it all in, do I have the energy to bother carrying it, do I have other bags to carry already, am I going somewhere safe enough, will it be convenient? Many times the answer was no, it was too inconvenient or too bothersome or too flashy. Or I didn't own the correct lens in the first place and didn't have another thousand pounds ready to drop on it.

Eric's point is the old adage - the best camera is the one you have on you when the opportunity arises. The GR is always in my pocket or in my bag, always. So I no longer have to plan to take pictures, so when I'm out walking the dog, or working, or getting the shopping, or going out for dinner, it's there and ready, when I would never dream of taking a bag full of body and lenses. Of course it helps that he's a street photograper and not a wildlife shooter, he would probably have a different opinion then.
07-25-2019, 07:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Absolutely, a fine camera. When I was shooting with K3II, there were plenty of shots I could get that I can't dream of with the GR....if I had it on me, and had the right lens on me too. Then it becomes an issue of which kit do I take, what to leave behind, which bag will I need that will fit it all in, do I have the energy to bother carrying it, do I have other bags to carry already, am I going somewhere safe enough, will it be convenient? Many times the answer was no, it was too inconvenient or too bothersome or too flashy. Or I didn't own the correct lens in the first place and didn't have another thousand pounds ready to drop on it.

Eric's point is the old adage - the best camera is the one you have on you when the opportunity arises. The GR is always in my pocket or in my bag, always. So I no longer have to plan to take pictures, so when I'm out walking the dog, or working, or getting the shopping, or going out for dinner, it's there and ready, when I would never dream of taking a bag full of body and lenses. Of course it helps that he's a street photograper and not a wildlife shooter, he would probably have a different opinion then.
That's exactly why I got my GR ll. It's always in my little , belt strap Vanguard bag...attached like a holster. Most people if they even notice the small bag, probably assume it's a cell phone bag.

If I'm going to a special event...outdoor car show, taking pics of wildlife...it's invariably my K1/K5 with the required lens for the purpose.

My GR though, is my everyday carry. Wallet...check...Cell phone ...check...car/house keys...check...GR...check...before I leave the house.

I wanted a small..really portable camera for a number of years during the digital age. In the film days I used to carry my Olympus clamshell...or sometimes my old Leica, screwmount Rangefinder. They were small, 35mm...robust build.

In the digital age, I starte with my Canon G 12...ok but not enough sensor for me. The GR with it's ASP-C sensor, great 28 mm F 2.8 lens and strong build...and small, unobtrusive body...perfect...for me. They fill that need.
07-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anybody else got the free 'GR III photography catalogue' with pics by Ichigo Sugawara? Very nice images, and a nicely produced little booklet.
07-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Has anybody else got the free 'GR III photography catalogue' with pics by Ichigo Sugawara? Very nice images, and a nicely produced little booklet.
Yes. Some lovely images in there. I picked it up because they offered it free (and free delivery), but I would have been a little disappointed if I'd paid the sticker price of £20+£4.99 shipping!
07-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have been a little disappointed if I'd paid the sticker price of £20+£4.99 shipping!
true!!!
08-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like Eric Kim's photography and his shooting philosophy. I definitely don't agree with him on everything but I get where he's coming from. He's legit. (The fact that he's trying to make his passion pay is laudable too, imo. That's a goofy criticism against someone, I think, especially if you've read much of what he's written.)

Obviously the statement is intentionally provocative and hyperbolic, but he lays out his case. It's obviously subjective but, for a street shooter like him, it's sound.

And I'll say this, I haven't been as excited about a new camera for a long time as I am about my new GR III. It just makes me want to play hooky from work and take pictures!
08-02-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
It just makes me want to play hooky from work and take pictures!
I just assumed from the quality of your photographic work, that taking pictures is what you do for work. Photography isn't your main line?
08-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I just assumed from the quality of your photographic work, that taking pictures is what you do for work. Photography isn't your main line?
Thanks for the kind words! But no, I work in software.

I get paid sometimes for shoots but it's primarily an artistic outlet (read: glorified hobby). If I tried to make it my day job I'd surely starve!