Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2019, 11:45 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Image Sync update: Remote, Bluetooth and more with GR III

Ricoh has finally added the missing features to Image Sync. I haven’t had a chance to try it yet but it sounds great, if long overdue.

—————

RICOH GR III Corresponding version (2.0.5) is released. To use this version, RICOH GR III firmware (version 1.10 or later) update is required.

The below functions are added.
・Remote Capture Function
・Bluetooth Connection
・Transfer reservation, Viewing images after turning off the camera power
・Synchronize date and time
・Location information sending

Image Sync / APP / DOWNLOAD / SUPPORT | RICOH IMAGING

08-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

YES!!!

Tx for posting!
08-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

Very good to get a new version of Image Sync with the option to add location etc.

But has anyone else had trouble pairing bluetooth? I am able to pair, but in the latter part of the process it fails and the app says it fails to set up wifi. However, wifi is connected and on the camera it seems that bluetooth also works. But not in the app. There it fails when I want to use BT instead of wifi.

Anyone know of a solution?
I use the Samsung S10 with my GRIII.
08-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #4

Same case with me Wifi works perfectly even th new remote shooting but failed to pair bluetooth with my iPhone x

Please help

08-09-2019, 05:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

RIcoh just tweeted that there is a bug in the latest release of Image Sync:
Twitter

Google translation of the referenced page:
QuoteQuote:
2019.08.09 [For iOS users]

■ About the date and time synchronization function of RICOH GR III
In iOS version 2.0.5, when "Synchronize date and time" is performed from the application settings, the date and time is not set to the time of the terminal but UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) is set. A modified version is currently being prepared.

■ Notes on connecting to RICOH GR III with Bluetooth pairing in iOS version 2.0.5

• -For iOS devices, even if you have not connected to the GR III by wireless LAN until now, tapping "Connect to a paired GR III" will not automatically connect to the wireless LAN. Once you have performed “ iOS device wireless LAN connection ” once, wireless LAN will be automatically connected thereafter.
  • ・ If Wi-Fi of iOS device is connected to other Wi-Fi routers or access points, automatic wireless LAN connection is not possible.
  • ・ Automatic wireless LAN connection usually takes 1-2 minutes.

If automatic wireless LAN connection is not possible, use " Wireless LAN connection for iOS device ". The new functions (date / time synchronization, location information transfer, transfer reservation from camera, remote shooting function) can be used with wireless LAN.

In order to improve operability, we will continue to strive to update the app and improve the quality so that it can be improved in future updates.
08-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've managed to pair my GRIII on bluetooth w iOS but not sure what it's supposed to do, just transfer location information? The instructions plainly state it doesn't support capture or image transfer..
08-09-2019, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
I've managed to pair my GRIII on bluetooth w iOS but not sure what it's supposed to do, just transfer location information? The instructions plainly state it doesn't support capture or image transfer..
I can't say specifically for the GRIII, but the "normal" use of Bluetooth on cameras is to automate connecting to new Wi-fi sources. Instead of manually entering a passcode to connect to the Wi-fi network, once the camera is paired with the network router (in the most common scenario, a Bluetooth equipped smartphone that can function as a Wi-fi hotspot), security credentials are passed over the Bluetooth connection. The bandwidth of Bluetooth connections is too narrow to transmit images in acceptable lengths of time.

You might be wondering, "why bother" and I would agree with you, but this is very similar to the function of NFC, which plenty of compact cameras had been equipped with. NFC was supposed to allow you to bring your phone very close to the camera (like tapping it) and the "normal" Wi-fi connection would be set up without having to enter a passcode. NFC was also intended for use as a digital wallet, but security holes and flaky implementations put a quick end to that application. NFC is virtually dead, I don't think any new smartphones have that capability anymore and every smartphone has a Bluetooth radio built in, so new cameras that want to offer the latest features in connectivity (and connectivity is what all the expert camera reviewers are pining for) come with Bluetooth radios as well as the 2.4 GHz microwave Wi-fi radios (5.2 GHz Wi-fi is similar to 2.4 GHz Wi-fi, with faster bandwidth and shorter range).

This doesn't add much in security (especially if the passcode for pairing is 0000), but broadcasting the availability of a Bluetooth connection uses much less battery power than 2.4 GHz Wi-fi, requires the two devices to be closer to each other (so someone parked on the street can't hijack your Wi-fi network) and is in the skill-set of almost all smartphone users, which can't be said for conventional Wi-fi devices.

08-13-2019, 03:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was about to have a moan that I still could not connect to the camera on my Pixel 3A - it was getting perpetually stuck on the 'connecting' screen since the previous version was released.

However while I was fiddling with it, I found the problem. As I went to clear cache and data ready to reinstall the app, I accidentally tapped 'permissions' and found that even though I agreed to the permissions when I installed the app, they were switched off in app settings. I switched them on and it now works.

Obviously not ideal that the app doesn't recognise that problem and prompt you to switch them on. But at least it's working now.

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 03:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
NFC is virtually dead, I don't think any new smartphones have that capability anymore
I think most high-end phones do. Far from being dead, that's what I use every day to pay in shops using google pay. It's what makes contactless payments work.
08-14-2019, 09:21 AM   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

With regards to the Image Sync V2.0.5 connection error.?RICOH IMAGING

"We have discovered that Image Sync V2.0.5, released on August 8, shows unstable behavior in some cases.
Particularly, functions related to the Bluetooth connection may not work properly.
Please be advised not to use the Bluetooth function and set the Wireless LAN connection manually until the updated version of the app is released."
08-14-2019, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
With regards to the Image Sync V2.0.5 connection error.?RICOH IMAGING

"We have discovered that Image Sync V2.0.5, released on August 8, shows unstable behavior in some cases.
Particularly, functions related to the Bluetooth connection may not work properly.
Please be advised not to use the Bluetooth function and set the Wireless LAN connection manually until the updated version of the app is released."
It's not just the bluetooth, the wifi function is also very unreliable. Just before I made my earlier post I corrected the permissions issue, connected to the camera and used the functions successfully. Hooray I thought, I'll play with that tomorrow. This has happened on one or two occasions before.

Next day, it won't connect again. I've hunted high and low for solutions. I've deleted all data and reinstalled the app, connected manually outside the app, tried the bluetooth function, tried every combination of wifi settings, nothing. The phone says the wifi is connected, but the app doesn't recognise it and just sits with the spinny wheel forever. According to reviews, Android 9 seems to be the problem version, although my Pixel 3A is absolutely stock unadulterated fully up-to-date Android, so I doubt very much it's the OS that's at fault - especially since my $10 Chinese smart lightbulb came with a companion app that can connect P2P wifi on my phone without issue.

I can only wait and see what the next version will bring. The camera will be 6 months old by then......that's a seriously long wait for a working companion app.
07-01-2020, 12:33 PM   #11

Hi,

I have a GRIII with the latest firmware, and the latest version of ImageSync, but whereas I had no issues with connecting ImageSync via Bluetooth in the first months of owning the camera, it has completed stopped working.

Looking at threads such as the above, it seems that the original issues were addressed, but I've found no recent posts on the subject.

Any advice?

Rgds,
Carel.
08-15-2020, 01:32 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by lopiteaux Quote
Hi,

I have a GRIII with the latest firmware, and the latest version of ImageSync, but whereas I had no issues with connecting ImageSync via Bluetooth in the first months of owning the camera, it has completed stopped working.

Looking at threads such as the above, it seems that the original issues were addressed, but I've found no recent posts on the subject.

Any advice?

Rgds,
Carel.
For what it's worth, I tried today the Image Sync app with my GR III and my Samsung Galaxy S10e, and there was no way to connect via bluetooth. Just on one rare occasion I got to the part where it asked the passcode, but it gave some kind of error and that part never happened again (asking for a passcode). Just the wheel spinning forever until it says "connection failed" or something like that.
Connecting directly via WiFi does work, though.

Last edited by Carlos_gr; 08-16-2020 at 05:57 AM.
10-31-2021, 04:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lopiteaux Quote
Any advice?
Did you try the current Version 2.1.9 of Image Sync?
11-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Did you try the current Version 2.1.9 of Image Sync?
I have just upgraded my android phone. Most of my existing apps automatically downloaded to the new phone but I just noticed that Image Sync didn't install on my new phone and wasn't on Google Play store. Went to the Ricoh site and there is a notice which says....

"2021.11.02
"Notice of stopping the distribution of the Image Sync (Android)"
Currently, Image Sync of Android version has temporary stopped the distribution and cannot be downloaded.
We are now working on for redistribution we appreciate for your patience.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."
11-03-2021, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Most of my existing apps automatically downloaded to the new phone but I just noticed that Image Sync didn't install on my new phone and wasn't on Google Play store.
Maybe you can find the current apk-file here:
Image Sync updated - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com