Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2019, 12:12 PM - 14 Likes   #1

As my Ricoh GR is in its last breaths, a "thank you for the awesome journey" post

Hi everybody,

been a long long time lurker and never really felt the urge to post. But these days, especially on my stopover in Montreal, I noticed that after several years of severe abuse my Ricoh GR wants to retire. And I realized I never had the chance to express what an awesome little camera it is! You always read about the flaws of the camera by all the haters, the love for the camera by enthusiasts on the other side. I want to add my coin to the pile of people thinking it is the best camera ever

Here`s our story:

Bought it a few years ago because as a young field biologist I got fed up with carrying around a heavy DSLR, Macro lense and an external flash. Did that with the Pentax KR, Sigma 105 mm Macro, a Metz Flash etc. to having a K-01 with me (same lenses and flash). Got fed up because back then I was not in shape and colombian hills can be quite steep and bothersome to walk up. Did some research, and as I did not want to downgrade on image quality, and after seeing what lovely pictures the camera produces, I got my copy of the Ricoh GR.

Not one single day did I regret that decision. On the contrary, I regret every single day that I waited to get it.

Enough words, the only thing I wish was a bit better on the original Ricoh GR after all the years and the thousands of pictures would be 1) weather sealing (I am working in the tropical rainforests of South America... ) 2) a closer macro focus distance and 3) a bit of a higher video quality. Except for that, which is crying on a high level, I was totally convinced by the image quality and the specs the camera has/had to offer.

Now it is time to save money for a Ricoh GRIII!

Will post a selection of images with short descriptions in the next days, lets start with some nature (which basically take all the power from argument 2 of things to correct):

---------- Post added 09-08-19 at 09:26 PM ----------

Montreal last Wednesday:

09-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good to see it had a long and productive life. Wishing you the best with the GR III.
09-08-2019, 01:00 PM - 7 Likes   #3

Original Poster
Heavily edited pictures from a series called Time travel in Mindo, Ecuador:

Last edited by AndreasZlg; 09-08-2019 at 01:09 PM.
09-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for sharing

09-09-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that small cameras are great for "out bush" work. I mostly use a Q7 these days (like you, coming from a K-01) but I must say that your shots are way beyond anything I bring back. And I am extremely envious of your job!!
09-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Wonderful stories. Pics are great.
09-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting. Lovely images.

09-11-2019, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words!
Got many more pictures of my trips, will keep uploading them here every once in a while. The old GR is still alive and will be forced to travel with me, so there will be more pics to come
Tons and tons of pictures and stories are on my travel blog Blogotá , there are just to many to post here right away.

Greetings
Andreas

Last edited by AndreasZlg; 09-12-2019 at 03:25 AM.
09-12-2019, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
There can never be something like "too many" frogs!

But apparently there is something like too much forest...

09-19-2019, 12:43 AM   #10
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent demonstration of the versatility of this litte gem of a camera, Andreas! I'm sure the GRIII would suit you perfectly with its stabiliser in the dim rainforests. Even better if it had been WR, of course, but the old GR seems to have held up well anyway!

I hope you realise how lucky you are to have the job you have. My wife is a botanist and travels around Africa quite a bit, and some of those trips have been quite adventurous! I have been lucky enough to come along on some of them

Thanks for sharing your images, and my best wishes for holding the disease at arm's length!
09-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks As soon as there is money for the update I will without hesitation get a GRIII! The higher usable ISO should help a lot to get shutter speeds to a level where you just have low chances of taking something blurry even if you are shaking a bit.

Love Biology and traveling, so that is the perfect combination for me. Can't wait for the next big trip, which hopefully will take me to northern brazil!

09-25-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
We are not at the end yet! Still works, though it sounds like a coffee grinder now!

NYC B&W

10-01-2019, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #13
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AndreasZlg Quote
We are not at the end yet! Still works, though it sounds like a coffee grinder now!
Ouch... Maybe it's time to submit some images to one of the photo contests and get a chance to win a GR III

QuoteQuote:
NYC B&W
Great series! This is the GR's home turf.
10-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Ouch... Maybe it's time to submit some images to one of the photo contests and get a chance to win a GR III
Just did that! Fingers crossed!

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Great series! This is the GR's home turf.
Thanks Love the high contrast B&W images it produces!
10-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Just did that! Fingers crossed!
Best of luck!

Thanks Love the high contrast B&W images it produces!
Yes, there is a reason why so many love it for street photography. I'm a "post process everything" kind of guy, but the high-contrast b&w of the GR I know I can leave alone.