Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

I might buy my first GR but I have questions

Currently I have a Pentax K-5 and K-3 II. Sadly, I rarely use these anymore because they are large/heavy. Originally, I bought the K-5 to use in photography classes then when I learned more I bought the K-3 II and later used it for a job. However, my photography style is very impulsive and carrying around a large bag with a DSLR and multiple lenses everywhere becomes a big hassle. I believe a GR would reignite my passion for photography as it would make it much easier to take photos everywhere I go, whenever I want. The GR II or a regular GR would be my choice. The GR III is just out of my price range, and with the GR II still available new at almost half the price it is more tempting. If the price drops even more on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, or they have a bundle deal, I will probably jump on it. I have a couple questions though.

1. Is the sensor the exact same as the K-5 or is the filterless version used in the K-5IIs and the K-01? Steve Huff's review said that it was the filterless version but I haven't seen further confirmation.

2. I have only recently learned about the dust issue that seems to be apparent in all GR models except the GR III since it can shake the dust off the sensor. Is it as widespread as it seems or exaggerated?

3. Due to this issue I am also considering the Fuji XF-10 but would probably regret it because I've always liked the GR but never owned one. How do they compare? I like the ND filter in the GR, but the Fuji has 4K video and a touch screen. I am skeptical about the Fuji processing as well, is it the X-TRANS type of sensor?

10-13-2019, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep my GR II in an eyeglass case/bag to prevent the dust issue. As far as sensors go, I do know the size is the same size as the K-5 series and it has no AA filter. The GR IIi s sharp as heck and the XF-10 does not hold a candle to it.
10-13-2019, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

1. Is the sensor the exact same as the K-5 or is the filterless version used in the K-5IIs and the K-01? Steve Huff's review said that it was the filterless version but I haven't seen further confirmation.
The GR sensor has no AA filter. That, combined with the excellent lens, gives very sharp photos. I've never seen confirmation on the exact sensor in the GR; it might a different sensor than in any other Pentax camera because the GR was designed by Ricoh long before they bought Pentax.
2. I have only recently learned about the dust issue that seems to be apparent in all GR models except the GR III since it can shake the dust off the sensor. Is it as widespread as it seems or exaggerated?
I've experienced some large dust spots despite keeping the camera in a case when not used. Putting the camera in a soft pouch and shaking it around is my low tech version of sensor cleaning. Full cleaning is a complex DIY chore or $200 repair fee. Regardless, the GR is still a good camera.
3. Due to this issue I am also considering the Fuji XF-10 but would probably regret it because I've always liked the GR but never owned one. How do they compare? I like the ND filter in the GR, but the Fuji has 4K video and a touch screen. I am skeptical about the Fuji processing as well, is it the X-TRANS type of sensor?
The GR is, for me, mostly a street photography and places-where-no-cameras-allowed type of camera. The lack of a touchscreen has never bothered me. I have 3 custom modes configured on the dial to meet my needs and rarely need any other controls.
10-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote

The GR is, for me, mostly a street photography and places-where-no-cameras-allowed type of camera.
Speaking of which, have you used it for concerts? How well does the low light/high ISO performance hold up?

10-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ShaunW Quote
Speaking of which, have you used it for concerts? How well does the low light/high ISO performance hold up?
No, I haven't used it for concerts because it's too wide for good shots from the audience. If I am close enough to the action to use the GR, I must be in the photo pit or backstage and authorized to bring a bigger camera

I have the GR. Low light is okay, similar to the K-5 but with a bit more color noise. My understanding is that the GR II has the same sensor as the original GR and will have similar low light performance. I usually convert to B&W beyond ISO 1600.