Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
Forum Member

GR3 - How long battery lasts

Hello all

I bought my GR3 like a month ago ... I hit the jackpot. Amazing lens and colours. Always on me, shooting during everyday life.

My only issue is the battery. I know it is supposed to be a small battery. People around the internet talking about 170-300 shots.

But I don't shoot that way. I come from film so in a 2-3 hour walk I won't be shooting more than 10 exposures.

And I am saying 2-3 hours because the GR has no battery left after 2-3 hours and 2 clicks.

My Screen is turned off in 1 min and the camera powersave shuts it down at 5mins ... but i turn it back on most of the times.

Autofocus is not continuous.

Does 2-3 hours of use sounds ok for this battery ?

11-15-2019, 01:56 AM   #2

I would say that this does not sound ok ... Judging from my experience with GR I
11-15-2019, 05:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It helps to have it off, even with the back screen on the camera uses battery for metering. I wonder if you could find "on time" data for mirror less cameras. Your description sounds about the same with mine: I use it on walks of 15 minutes or so twice a day along the commute, and after 3-4 days it needs recharging. There are days when I shoot over 200 shots and have plenty of battery left, this is why I'm thinking the time the camera's on matters at least as much as the number of shots.

Last edited by aaacb; 11-15-2019 at 06:00 AM.
11-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kupepe Quote
My Screen is turned off in 1 min and the camera powersave shuts it down at 5mins ... but i turn it back on most of the times.

Autofocus is not continuous.

Does 2-3 hours of use sounds ok for this battery ?
Do you mean that you try to have the camera actively on ("I turn it bcak on most of the times") while you are walking? If so, then yes it's possible the battery could only last that long. The start-up time for the camera is incredibly short so I would just turn it off when you're walking. But if that is already the case (and you're powering it down while walking) do you know if you have bluetooth or wireless actively turned on, e.g. do you use the transfer features for smartphone. If the icons for either of those are display on the top of the LCD then they are (one or both) active, and each of those is a huge drain on power I have noticed.

---------- Post added 11-20-19 at 10:56 AM ----------

What I meant to suggest before also is that even if you only take 10 images in those 3 hours, I'm assuming that you are framing shots through the viewfinder quite a bit nonetheless which does use quite a bit of battery as well, e.g. metering and running the LCD. Something else you might try is to simply get a small shoe-mount 28mm viewfinder (doesn't have to the Ricoh one) to frame with and turn the back-LCD off unless it is really needed. This way you can walk around and frame without have to use the LCD all the time.

Even all that said, you might also pick up a second battery to a) have a backup, and to b) see if it performs better than the one that came with the camera.

Last edited by chickentender; 11-20-2019 at 11:56 AM.