Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another positive GRiii review

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but here is a fair and glowing review of the GRiii

Ricoh GR III Street Photography Review: Long Live the King!

11-16-2019, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for posting - a very honest yet positive review!

Must admit I would love to have a GR III. Maybe some day...
11-16-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Must admit I would love to have a GR III. Maybe some day...
Me too. I have held back from contemplating selling APS-C kit to fund it. It's challenging!
11-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some interesting perspectives. The one I am most surprised by is his enthusiasm for shooting with a camera without a viewfinder.

When I shoot with an LCD it takes me back out of the camera and into the action. I can still see the entire scene around the camera as events are unfolding in real time. The camera quickly becomes an extension of me and I’m able to create vibrant images that are alive with the immediacy of the moment.

Not my view at all!

11-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Some interesting perspectives. The one I am most surprised by is his enthusiasm for shooting with a camera without a viewfinder.
A pure guess from me, but the small size and weight might open up instant shot possibilities that won't exist with a DSLR. Certainly with the candids we see from it.
11-20-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
A pure guess from me, but the small size and weight might open up instant shot possibilities that won't exist with a DSLR. Certainly with the candids we see from it.
That's always been the case for me. It's the quality of the final image coupled with incredibly small size of the camera. With my old GRDiii I remember when first discovered hip-shooting in a way that just wasn't possible before. It's so small I could hold it at pocket-level for street shoot, actuating the shutter button with my thumb, and my middle and index fingers wrapped around the lens barrel. I could get crazy dutch-angle, perfectly focused shots with a high shutter speed without so much as a taking a short moment to pause in my tracks and stop swinging my camera arm as I walked. It's the whole package of the thing, and not having a viewfinder contributes to the total size. At the end of the day the entire line has always been a cheap-looking, consumer budget compact sized shooter that delivers images to rival cameras 5 times or more its size.
11-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

When I shoot with an LCD it takes me back out of the camera and into the action. I can still see the entire scene around the camera as events are unfolding in real time. The camera quickly becomes an extension of me and I’m able to create vibrant images that are alive with the immediacy of the moment.

Not my view at all!
This is absolutely my view personally, but only insofar as (which is what he was saying) using an EVF is concerned. It's a perception thing, and I don't experience it when using a camera (SLR or DSLR) with an actual OVF. As good as they've gotten (and like he mentions they've gotten incredibly good in recent years) I still feel disconnected from the scene when using an EVF and it's why I haven't, despite many tries over the years, ever been able to move to mirrorless camera shooting and always come back to SLRs. His enthusiasm isn't related to shooting without a viewfinder per se, but specifically without an electronic viewfinder.

11-20-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
This is absolutely my view personally, but only insofar as (which is what he was saying) using an EVF is concerned.
My issue is that I need reading glasses to use the back LCD with any precision, but they then stop me from seeing the actual scene clearly. The diopter adjustment on an OVF suits me perfectly.
11-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My issue is that I need reading glasses to use the back LCD with any precision, but they then stop me from seeing the actual scene clearly. The diopter adjustment on an OVF suits me perfectly.
Ah, well yes, that's new information. That would certainly be a concern.
But to be fair that is a fairly specific farsightedness concern; absolutely not uncommon though, and yeah, a VF diopter adjustment solves that issue entirely.

---------- Post added 11-20-19 at 02:19 PM ----------

I posted this in the Youtube comments there, just responding to a few points in the review.
Just thought I'd share it here in case anyone cares.

A couple differing thoughts:
1. That Ricoh branded battery charger (and for that matter battery spares) wasn't the only unit available at or before launch. Any camera that uses an Olympus style Li-92B or Li-90B will work perfectly fine. There are and have been many available, but few-to-no sellers marked them as compatible early on. They were. It's the same battery. Though I've yet to find a 3rd-party maker that lasts as long as OEM, despite the very overstated mA ratings on some. But whatever, they're cheap.

2. I actually love the on-camera USB-C charging solution. I do wish they'd included the off-camera charger, but the aforementioned after-market units are dirt cheap. For the simple fact that it's USB-C is why I love it. I can transfer images while charging it without a) using a different cable than I have for my smartphone, and b) I can use any USB-C cable connected to any of my power sources, even for my laptop because the brick uses USB-C universal charging and detect and supply the correct amperage. In short, it's just the inclusion of USB-C in general that I love and opens up many possibilities for charging and transfer that weren't possible before. Plus, you know, it's current tech.

3. And this is related to all the above... You can use your camera while you charge the battery if you're using a USB-C power-brick. Sure it's clunky and not ideal, but with a decently long USB cable (a nice braided one that doesn't bind) you can plug it and shoot it "tethered" in an emergency situation. And the battery will be charging while you're shooting, which happens quickly because USB-C charges at a higher rate. Many people carry around a power-brick for their juice-hungry smartphones these days already... You can use the same one for the GR if needed. Boom. Carry on.

4. IBIS. I once agreed with you and I certainly didn't have it on my personal list of things I wanted to see on a new GR.... But damn, it works. I can shoot this thing, which already has (as you mention) drastically good and improved high-ISO performance, down to 1/4 sec shutter and with IBIS it's golden. Pure and simple. I didn't care or want it, but I've certainly been impressed by its effectiveness.

Blah blah blah. I'm done blathering. NICE REVIEW!