Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
GRIII Sleep Mode and Auto Power Off with Wide Angle Adapter Lens

I'm new to world of GR cameras and recently picked up a GRIII. Really enjoying the camera. Under the Power Supply Settings, I have the Sleep Mode and the Auto Power Off Mode both set two one minute, which typically works as advertised. But I just picked up the GW-4 Wide Angle Lens and the GA-1 Lens Adapter. I discovered with the lens and lens adapter attached, the camera will not go into either Sleep Mode or Auto Power Off Mode. I actually did RTFM the manual, and though there are situations where the Sleep Mode and Auto Power Off Mode do not function, having the lens adapter attached does not appear to be one of them.

It's not really a big deal for me, as I'm in the habit of manually turning off the camera when I'm not shooting, but thought this was interesting. Anyone else have this experience?

12-15-2019, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for identifying that observation. I am sure this will be fixed in a future firmware update
01-19-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I'm new to world of GR cameras and recently picked up a GRIII. Really enjoying the camera. Under the Power Supply Settings, I have the Sleep Mode and the Auto Power Off Mode both set two one minute, which typically works as advertised. But I just picked up the GW-4 Wide Angle Lens and the GA-1 Lens Adapter. I discovered with the lens and lens adapter attached, the camera will not go into either Sleep Mode or Auto Power Off Mode. I actually did RTFM the manual, and though there are situations where the Sleep Mode and Auto Power Off Mode do not function, having the lens adapter attached does not appear to be one of them.

It's not really a big deal for me, as I'm in the habit of manually turning off the camera when I'm not shooting, but thought this was interesting. Anyone else have this experience?
david94903, This issue seems to not have been fixed yet. I recently purchased a GRIII and the GA-1 lens adapter. When the GA-1 adapter is attached both sleep and auto power off modes still do not work. When it first happened to me around 35 minutes had gone by before I noticed the camera hadn't powered down. The battery was drained overheating in the process. When I tested to confirm sleep/auto power off modes were not working within ten minutes past when it should have shutdown the battery starts overheating way beyond normal depleting itself in the process.

Can anyone else confirm the GA-1 has an issue with Sleep/Power Shutdown modes? This needs to be fixed as the issue itself is near a fire hazard the battery gets so hot.

I have the most recent firmware installed etc. I am surprised there hasn't been more comments concerning the use of the GA-1 lens adapter.

I tried using Ricoh's online inquiry system their reply was to send the GRIII to Precision which basically means Ricoh is oblivious to the issue.
01-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To mitigate this serious issue a simple solution is good old electrical tape. I cut three small squares to fit on the GA-1's metal contacts. Now with the GA-1 attached the camera does not see it and Sleep Mode and Auto Power Off mode work normally.

I always have the GA-1 attached with a DA 21 LTD MH-RBA 43mm lens hood. Here is my GRII I posted in the past.

A small rubber band is enough to hold it in place.

There is no solution from Ricoh for a lens hood for the GRIII. The GRII lens hood was so huge I adopted the DA21LTD lens hood instead. Ricoh should offer a simple lens hood like this for the GRIII that just screws into the GA-1.

01-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
gbl
Forum Member

Unfortunately that is not a good solution as the original poster wants to use the wide angle adapter. If you tape the connectors, it effects the camera's performance with the wide angle adapter. On the GRIII the connectors trigger multiple actions in the camera.
1. The EXIF information changes (Not as important)
2. The image stabilization changes for the wide angle converter (might be important)
3. The image corrections (distortions) for the wide angle converter change. (very important)

As for lens hoods: 49mm lens hoods are readily available for cheap on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/49mm-Camera-Lens-Hood-Set/dp/B07VH767XX

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
To mitigate this serious issue a simple solution is good old electrical tape. I cut three small squares to fit on the GA-1's metal contacts. Now with the GA-1 attached the camera does not see it and Sleep Mode and Auto Power Off mode work normally.

I always have the GA-1 attached with a DA 21 LTD MH-RBA 43mm lens hood. Here is my GRII I posted in the past.

A small rubber band is enough to hold it in place.

There is no solution from Ricoh for a lens hood for the GRIII. The GRII lens hood was so huge I adopted the DA21LTD lens hood instead. Ricoh should offer a simple lens hood like this for the GRIII that just screws into the GA-1.
01-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Unfortunately that is not a good solution as the original poster wants to use the wide angle adapter. If you tape the connectors, it effects the camera's performance with the wide angle adapter. On the GRIII the connectors trigger multiple actions in the camera.
1. The EXIF information changes (Not as important)
2. The image stabilization changes for the wide angle converter (might be important)
3. The image corrections (distortions) for the wide angle converter change. (very important)

As for lens hoods: 49mm lens hoods are readily available for cheap on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/49mm-Camera-Lens-Hood-Set/dp/B07VH767XX
No actually it is an excellent solution for anyone who wants to enable Sleep mode and Auto Power Shutdown while using the GA-1 adaptor with a hood or filter or both.

What is unfortunate is that after more than a year the original posters observation that Sleep/Auto Power modes do not work while using the GA-1 adapter is still not fixed by Ricoh.

The DA21LTD's lens hood is an exponentially better solution on the GRII/III than those cheap amazon hoods. Sad Ricoh doesn't give us a simple 49mm threaded hood solution for the GRIII like the MH-RBA.
01-25-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
gbl
Forum Member

If you want to use only a filter or a hood, use the Haoge LAR-GR filter adapter. It has no electrical contacts, therefore no sleep mode problem. I would not use tape on electrical contacts. If temperatures get warmer the tape will get sticky and gum up the contacts. It's just not a good idea.

That being said, I agree Ricoh needs to fix this issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
No actually it is an excellent solution for anyone who wants to enable Sleep mode and Auto Power Shutdown while using the GA-1 adaptor with a hood or filter or both.

What is unfortunate is that after more than a year the original posters observation that Sleep/Auto Power modes do not work while using the GA-1 adapter is still not fixed by Ricoh.

The DA21LTD's lens hood is an exponentially better solution on the GRII/III than those cheap amazon hoods. Sad Ricoh doesn't give us a simple 49mm threaded hood solution for the GRIII like the MH-RBA.
01-26-2021, 12:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote

unfortunately, already there is the fourth version of the firmware with the same problem.

I wrote to the official dealer, he wrote to Japan - no progress.