Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2020, 07:02 AM   #1

Ricoh GR III failed to turn on

Failed to start up. LED showing flashing green light for 10-15 secs then a static green light. It canít be switched on. Anyone knows whatís going on?

02-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I haven't seen this, but to clarify, do you mean the LED around the power button or the small status LED on the back is flashing? Is the lens opening? What happens if you hold the play button to go straight to preview without powering on the camera? I'd contact Ricoh customer support either way, they should be able to tell you if it's a warranty issue or not.
02-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What happens if you remove the SD card and battery, and let it sit for a minute. Then put the battery back in (not the SD Card). Is the battery fully charge.
02-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I haven't seen this, but to clarify, do you mean the LED around the power button or the small status LED on the back is flashing? Is the lens opening? What happens if you hold the play button to go straight to preview without powering on the camera? I'd contact Ricoh customer support either way, they should be able to tell you if it's a warranty issue or not.
Itís the small status LED on the back. Yes the lens is open, and canít close no matter which button pressed. Holding Play button is the same problem as pressing Power button.

02-08-2020, 07:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
What happens if you remove the SD card and battery, and let it sit for a minute. Then put the battery back in (not the SD Card). Is the battery fully charge.
Tried this method, still not working. Battery is fully charged and tested with the extra battery given, same thing.
02-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
Had problem with the dial and sent to warranty repair a month ago. They found it to be circuit board problem and they fixed it. I hope this is not a big issue as I already sent my GR III to service twice in just less than a year. Not the third time
12-13-2021, 05:29 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfen Quote
Had problem with the dial and sent to warranty repair a month ago. They found it to be circuit board problem and they fixed it. I hope this is not a big issue as I already sent my GR III to service twice in just less than a year. Not the third time
Hello, did you fixed your camera? I have the same problem and I would appreciate if you share your experience! Thanks in advance

12-14-2021, 02:56 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've had my GRIII for about 18 months and its had a "funny moment" twice now. Once it wouldn't power on and another time it wouldn't power off and the lens was still open/extended. Both times removing and replacing the battery fixed it but its a bit worrying. I have considered adding the GRIIIx to my collection but I expect a camera to perform faultlessly for 10 years so this sort of thing puts me off, especially as its not a cheapy pocket camera.
12-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not great to hear.

Hope this is a rarer than rare issue.

Been shopping around for a Digital Pocket Camera for a while now and the IIIx is high on my list.
02-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

My GR 3 had a similar fit today, first time ever since March 2019. When starting it was stuck with the lens extended, I could hear the high pitched noise from sensor cleaning and the green led on the back was flashing fast. Took the battery out and it was fine to restart.
02-23-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
Forum Member

unfortunately, I came to the conclusion that GRIII, although superb in image quality, as well as other qualities, the build quality is very poor and certainly the lifespan is pathetic.when i compare to my xt2 the GR3 is miles away in terms of build q.It's sad that it can never become a vintage camera.
02-23-2022, 11:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thegeaba Quote
the build quality is very poor and certainly the lifespan is pathetic.
Did your GR3 stop working? So far I'm pretty happy with build quality, the rear dial is a miss but it's something I'm not too bothered by. Not sure how long the lifespan is, but with a retractable lens I take it as a given that it won't last as long as other cameras with fewer moving parts. I was aware of this when buying it and don't regret it at all.
02-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Did your GR3 stop working? So far I'm pretty happy with build quality, the rear dial is a miss but it's something I'm not too bothered by. Not sure how long the lifespan is, but with a retractable lens I take it as a given that it won't last as long as other cameras with fewer moving parts. I was aware of this when buying it and don't regret it at all.
no,its working fine,i use contact cleaner for the dials (no one can avoid this problem) , i dont like the quality of the dials and buttons,like i said,it's not in terms of a premium camera.
04-19-2022, 05:32 AM   #14

I am having a similar issue to this. Went to use my griii for the first time in a couple of weeks and when turning it on it boots up for about 10 seconds and then shuts off and the green led stays on as well as the lens stays out. When it is on it does not show the SD card in the camera and thinks that it is attached to power. Iíve tried multiple batteries, externally charged as well as leaving the camera plugged in over night.
04-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought one not quite a month ago and it's done something similar a few times. Was fine for about 2 weeks and did it again (shut off with the lens extended, power light went off). also missed a few shots by not writing to the card. Also wouldn't display images. I'll chalk the last two problems to a bad/flakey card. I decided to send it back for an exchange while I was still in the 30 day return window with Amazon but it said it wasn't eligible for an exchange the further I got into the process, even though it initially said it was. Called Amazon and the lady was kind enough to override that and the replacement arrives today. Hopefully I'll have better luck with this one.