Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Hot shoe adapter for GPS geotagging?

I have a GR I and really want the ability to geotag my photos. Not having this feature is the single biggest reason why I don't use the camera. Not sure if such a device exists or not, but is there a hot shoe adapter available that can provide geotagging via GPS or via a bluetooth connection to my phone (for GPS)?

03-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought that the O-GPS1 might be the answer but it doesn't look like the GR is supported. I actually am some what surprised by that as it seem like if it supports the same data connections it should be a firmware enhancement.
03-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I thought that the O-GPS1 might be the answer but it doesn't look like the GR is supported. I actually am some what surprised by that as it seem like if it supports the same data connections it should be a firmware enhancement.
Hi @MossyRocks , thx for the help. The O-GPS1 is interesting but much too big for my liking. I was hoping for a tiny bluetooth adapter that can sync to my phone. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic?
03-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe the most used method of geotag is to use software on the computer that merge position data from smartphone with images from your camera. An app on your smartphone to log positions that you later merge with you photos.

There are many different softwares for this. FI plugins for lightroom, and some of the can use already existing geotag data from your smartphone, FI google "my places" data that may exist for several years back. As I have GPS in my camera I do not use this, so I have no recomendation on which software to use.

Last edited by Fogel70; 03-27-2020 at 09:04 PM.
04-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe the most used method of geotag is to use software on the computer that merge position data from smartphone with images from your camera. An app on your smartphone to log positions that you later merge with you photos.

There are many different softwares for this. FI plugins for lightroom, and some of the can use already existing geotag data from your smartphone, FI google "my places" data that may exist for several years back. As I have GPS in my camera I do not use this, so I have no recomendation on which software to use.
Hi @Fogel70 thx for the reply. I'm not interested in using software to geotag in post. I guess my ignorance led me to believe that a tiny bluetooth hot shoe adapter is available to add to my GR.
06-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #6

If anyone's still interested - O-GPS1 does NOT work with GR 3. I've got the receiver and tried connecting it to the GR - no luck.