Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #1

Filter/GW-4 adapter contacts?

Sorry if this has been asked here before. I checked the previous threads but I can't find anything. I'm a bit confused about the original filter adapter and the wide angle converter GW-4.
The GRIII seems to have electronic contacts that correspond to the original filter adapter. From videos and photos it seems that the GW-4 wide angle converter itself has no contacts, though, only the plastic filter adapter.
I assume, the electronic contacts tell the camera that a GW-4 is attached and changes the Exif info in the photos. But I also heard that it changes the behavior of the Image Stabilizer. Is that correct?

What about when the GW-4 is not attached and the plastic adapter is only used for mounting a filter? The Exif info and the Image Stabilizer would no longer be correct?

On the GRII the adapters were "dumb" and one had to manually set the wide angle converter in the menu. I actually preferred that solution.

6 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would like some info on this also. Trying to decide if I want to get the ricoh one, or the cheaper and all metal third party adapter..

3 Days Ago   #3
gbl

Original Poster
Since there seems no other answer to my question, I assume the following with the very little information available online. A call to the dealer also returned no results:
1. The GA-1 adapter will tell the camera that the GW-4 is attached (if it is attached or not). The Exif information is changed to the 21mm equiv. focal length and most likely the behavior of the image stabilizer is changed as well.
This is most likely the reason Ricoh doesn't advertise the GA-1 as "filter adapter" anymore, but only as "lens adapter". I assume this to be the reason a hood is no longer offered either.

2. This means that in order to use filters properly - with image stabilization - Ricoh has no product on offer and the user has to use a third party product. This is puzzling to me! Why not give the option of an override in the menu in an otherwise highly customizable camera?

If any of the above is incorrect, please speak up
3 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Since there seems no other answer to my question, I assume the following with the very little information available online. A call to the dealer also returned no results:
1. The GA-1 adapter will tell the camera that the GW-4 is attached (if it is attached or not). The Exif information is changed to the 21mm equiv. focal length and most likely the behavior of the image stabilizer is changed as well.
This is most likely the reason Ricoh doesn't advertise the GA-1 as "filter adapter" anymore, but only as "lens adapter". I assume this to be the reason a hood is no longer offered either.

2. This means that in order to use filters properly - with image stabilization - Ricoh has no product on offer and the user has to use a third party product. This is puzzling to me! Why not give the option of an override in the menu in an otherwise highly customizable camera?

If any of the above is incorrect, please speak up
I'm curious if it's possible to change the behavior in the settings. I ordered the GA-1 adapter, should have it this week. Will have a look at it and will report the results. Hopefully it doesn't affect the IBIS behavior, that would be a bummer cause I don't have the GW-4 yet, and I ordered a nice Marumi CPL to use with the GA-1..

3 Days Ago   #5
gbl

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm curious if it's possible to change the behavior in the settings. I ordered the GA-1 adapter, should have it this week. Will have a look at it and will report the results. Hopefully it doesn't affect the IBIS behavior, that would be a bummer cause I don't have the GW-4 yet, and I ordered a nice Marumi CPL to use with the GA-1..
Awesome, thanks!
18 Hours Ago   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Awesome, thanks!
So got the adapter. I did a quick test, putting the adapter on didn't seem to change IBIS behavior, and from what I can see, didn't change exif info either.
I don't have the GW-4 lens yet, so can't text to see if it changes anything. Maybe it has to be switched on manually somewhere? Because I definitely saw some people on flickr that had 13mm in exif info instead of 18mm. No idea.

Few quick pics. 1/10 I can get a sharp image, 1/8 can't (or need to take pics to achieve sharp image). Seems 1/10 is as low as I can go with adapter and without.

No adapter - 1/8

No adapter - 1/10

With adapter - 1/8

With adapter - 1/10

---------- Post added 07-09-20 at 02:59 PM ----------

Huh, I just noticed. There's a leaver inside of the adapter. Looks like when GW-4 is screwed in, it pushes the leaver down activating the contacts. I'm guessing the camera then knows that GW-4 is installed and changes whatever settings (if only the exif info). Pretty clever) I just hope the cpl i purchased won't push that leaver, it's recessed pretty deep in the barrel of the adapter. Fingers crossed.
10 Hours Ago   #7
gbl

Original Poster
Very interesting. Thanks for the update!