Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

LCD protector

So.......... my new GRIII arrived about 7 hours ago. I put it on charge for a few hours before going out to use it, mainly in AV mode. I will now spend a few hours reading the manual, getting to grips with snap mode, highlight protect and all the other great features and functions. I even managed to use the WI-FI and the Ricoh app to transfer some images to my phone. In a while I'll import the shots into Lightroom for a proper look.

I notice that there are LCD protectors available, both glass and plastic film types. As I intend to keep this camera for many years, I would like to look after it and I think a LCD protector is a good idea. Any comments on this please? Would a thin glass protector affect how the touch screen functions work? Thanks.

07-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use glass protectors on my phone and touch screen cameras. There is no change in the operation or sensitivity of the touch screen.
07-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #3
maw
Pentaxian

Congratulations on your purchase,

Films should not affect the touch of the screen, it's the same thing as for smartphones.

Ciao Mario
07-29-2020, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

After managing to scratch the glass screen on my Apple iPad some years ago, I now fit screen protectors to any equipment with a display (other than my laptop). Sadly, I've yet to find one that's reflection-free, which somewhat negate whatever anti-reflective coatings have been applied to the item's screen, and some are prone to picking up fingerprints which requires regular wiping - but my own preference is to keep displays in good condition, so these are sacrifices I'm prepared to make.

I've used a lot of different types, but my two favourites are the Vikuiti DQCT130 and Brotect AirGlass. Both are fairly easy to apply without leaving bubbles, so long as you clean your screen first and use a blower to get rid of any dust particles.

As a general rule, thin / flexible screen protectors won't affect touch screen use. Thicker glass protectors - the non-flexible type - might...

07-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone.