Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RICOH GRIII - Program shift Auto-ISO does not respect minimum shutter speed

I just updated my new GRIII to v1.41 and shifting the aperture in Program mode, the shutter speed lowers past the limit of 1/30 in Auto-ISO settings.

Is this normal behavior? I would expect it to bump-up the ISO once it reached this set shutter speed limit, but the ISO is staying at the same value. I could swear the previous version (v1.31) didn't behave in this manner, but I've only had the camera a few days so I can't be sure!

07-30-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's normal if the max iso is reached. Even on auto it'll only go between the set limits, rich you configure in the menu. It could also be that you accidentally switched to a fixed value, for example I have iso on a custom button and I go between auto and a fixed value with the FN button.

Maybe the firmware update changed the iso limits you had?
07-30-2020, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
ne!
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Yes, it's normal if the max iso is reached. Even on auto it'll only go between the set limits, rich you configure in the menu. It could also be that you accidentally switched to a fixed value, for example I have iso on a custom button and I go between auto and a fixed value with the FN button.

Maybe the firmware update changed the iso limits you had?
Thanks, aaacb. The thing is, the ISO limit was not reached, being set at 12,800. I keep Program mode in "max aperture", so for instance, if I initially meter a scene in this mode at 1/30 - 2.8 - ISO 1600, shifting the aperture lowers the shutter speed to 1/15 etc. while keeping the same ISO of 1600.

For what it's worth, I re-installed v1.31 and the behavior is the same.
07-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
I keep Program mode in "max aperture", so for instance, if I initially meter a scene in this mode at 1/30 - 2.8 - ISO 1600, shifting the aperture lowers the shutter speed to 1/15 etc. while keeping the same ISO of 1600.
I don't have access to a GR III, but I suspect your use of above hack is the cause of the unexpected behavior. In P mode, the camera will always follow the program line. Strangely, the rules governing Auto-ISO operate independent of the program line or at least that is the case with the very similar functionality on Pentax dSLRs. Forcing ISO to ramp is an exercise in frustration. Of course, I may be blowing smoke, having no access to a GR III.

Steve

07-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
In P mode, the camera will always follow the program line.
This makes sense, that the camera follows the shutter/aperture line and doesn't attempt to change iso when shifting along the P line. And I've just tested and confirmed this behavior with my GR III (v1.31, maybe I'll update...).
07-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #6
ne!
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, you guys are right.

Basically, with the GR in max aperture Program line and Auto-ISO it is starting at the minimum shutter speed of 1/30 and f2.8, so stopping down means all bets are off and there’s “no where to go” other than a longer shutter speed.

In aperture priority mode, the minimum shutter speed is indeed retained while in Auto-ISO, and the lens can be stopped down which makes the ISO increase. Thank you both for your thoughts on this question.