Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 759
New to GR III... some questions

I've had my GR III for four days now and I'm really loving it. I've been out shooting with it and I've also been trying to read the manual.

I really like the various picture styles, i.e. the hi contrast b&w, positive film, retro etc. The thing is, I've always shot RAW with my DSLR's and I set the GR III to RAW when I got it. When using the above mentioned photo styles, the images look great on the LCD and when downloaded to my PC, they look great when viewed with the windows picture viewer but when I export them into Photoshop, the Adobe RAW converter seems to strip away the special fetures of the picture style. So the hi contrast b&w image loses its hi contrast. I'm not making any adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw, I'm leaving all the settings at default but still the image isn't is good as originally shot.

I'm guessing that these inbuilt photo styles will probably look better when shot as a JPEG. I know that I can change my file preference to save as RAW + jpeg but I was wondering if its possible to set up one of the U1/2/3 user profiles to use a particular photo style and have those images saved as a jpeg but keeping RAW as the default file format for all other settings? Thanks.

08-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 759
Original Poster
Ok, so to answer my own question, I can save to jpeg in the U1/2/3 user setting while retaining RAW for other modes. I just need to find out why Adobe Camera Raw is altering the DNG image as was shot.
08-02-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,449
I think you can use SilkyPix to keep the color profiles while developing. I wish Lightroom or ACR would do that too though. Dng is a digital negative though, I think they're always flat, basically raw data sensor captures, without any profiles or adjustments that was done in camera.
08-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 759
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I think you can use SilkyPix to keep the color profiles while developing. I wish Lightroom or ACR would do that too though. Dng is a digital negative though, I think they're always flat, basically raw data sensor captures, without any profiles or adjustments that was done in camera.
I understand what you are saying and it does make sense but those same DNG images display correctly, with the profiles done in camera, when I use the Windows "Photo" application to display them so the profiles must survive the journey from camera to computer. Its Adobe ACR that seems to discard them. Perhaps that's a deliberate feature of ACR?

08-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,449
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I understand what you are saying and it does make sense but those same DNG images display correctly, with the profiles done in camera, when I use the Windows "Photo" application to display them so the profiles must survive the journey from camera to computer. Its Adobe ACR that seems to discard them. Perhaps that's a deliberate feature of ACR?
I think they just have a jpeg preview baked into them. Might be wrong though.
08-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 2
Awscreo is correct

The normal and expected behavior is that raw files are not altered in LR despite setting a creative profile/style.

For the Ricoh, a package of profiles can be purchased to apply some of the profiles (positive color, monotone, grain)

Custom Presets for Photoshop & Lightroom - SAMUEL LINTARO HOPF

His package is very good.

S.
08-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,449
QuoteOriginally posted by slsman100 Quote
The normal and expected behavior is that raw files are not altered in LR despite setting a creative profile/style.

For the Ricoh, a package of profiles can be purchased to apply some of the profiles (positive color, monotone, grain)

Custom Presets for Photoshop & Lightroom - SAMUEL LINTARO HOPF

His package is very good.

S.
OH yeah, I forgot about Samuel's profiles. He did his best to replicate the GR look. He also has an awesome youtube channel.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
contrast, default, digital camera, gr, iii, jpeg, photo, picture, ricoh gr, settings, shot, styles
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lifespan of ricoh gr / gr II / gr III - how long do/did you have your ricoh? lunarwitch Ricoh GR 11 11-20-2019 12:36 PM
New Ricoh GR III: Shutter button not sensitive tarobun Ricoh GR 3 09-08-2019 12:19 AM
Wireless download photo and video GR II and GR III on Mac jameskate Ricoh GR 1 04-11-2019 12:39 PM
GR store, no GR III i83N Pentax News and Rumors 14 07-13-2017 07:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top