Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 04:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

New to GR III... some questions

I've had my GR III for four days now and I'm really loving it. I've been out shooting with it and I've also been trying to read the manual.

I really like the various picture styles, i.e. the hi contrast b&w, positive film, retro etc. The thing is, I've always shot RAW with my DSLR's and I set the GR III to RAW when I got it. When using the above mentioned photo styles, the images look great on the LCD and when downloaded to my PC, they look great when viewed with the windows picture viewer but when I export them into Photoshop, the Adobe RAW converter seems to strip away the special fetures of the picture style. So the hi contrast b&w image loses its hi contrast. I'm not making any adjustments in Adobe Camera Raw, I'm leaving all the settings at default but still the image isn't is good as originally shot.

I'm guessing that these inbuilt photo styles will probably look better when shot as a JPEG. I know that I can change my file preference to save as RAW + jpeg but I was wondering if its possible to set up one of the U1/2/3 user profiles to use a particular photo style and have those images saved as a jpeg but keeping RAW as the default file format for all other settings? Thanks.

08-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, so to answer my own question, I can save to jpeg in the U1/2/3 user setting while retaining RAW for other modes. I just need to find out why Adobe Camera Raw is altering the DNG image as was shot.
08-02-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you can use SilkyPix to keep the color profiles while developing. I wish Lightroom or ACR would do that too though. Dng is a digital negative though, I think they're always flat, basically raw data sensor captures, without any profiles or adjustments that was done in camera.
08-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I think you can use SilkyPix to keep the color profiles while developing. I wish Lightroom or ACR would do that too though. Dng is a digital negative though, I think they're always flat, basically raw data sensor captures, without any profiles or adjustments that was done in camera.
I understand what you are saying and it does make sense but those same DNG images display correctly, with the profiles done in camera, when I use the Windows "Photo" application to display them so the profiles must survive the journey from camera to computer. Its Adobe ACR that seems to discard them. Perhaps that's a deliberate feature of ACR?

08-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I understand what you are saying and it does make sense but those same DNG images display correctly, with the profiles done in camera, when I use the Windows "Photo" application to display them so the profiles must survive the journey from camera to computer. Its Adobe ACR that seems to discard them. Perhaps that's a deliberate feature of ACR?
I think they just have a jpeg preview baked into them. Might be wrong though.
08-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #6

Awscreo is correct

The normal and expected behavior is that raw files are not altered in LR despite setting a creative profile/style.

For the Ricoh, a package of profiles can be purchased to apply some of the profiles (positive color, monotone, grain)

Custom Presets for Photoshop & Lightroom - SAMUEL LINTARO HOPF

His package is very good.

S.
08-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slsman100 Quote
The normal and expected behavior is that raw files are not altered in LR despite setting a creative profile/style.

For the Ricoh, a package of profiles can be purchased to apply some of the profiles (positive color, monotone, grain)

Custom Presets for Photoshop & Lightroom - SAMUEL LINTARO HOPF

His package is very good.

S.
OH yeah, I forgot about Samuel's profiles. He did his best to replicate the GR look. He also has an awesome youtube channel.