Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2020, 04:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

GR III: question + tips?

Sorry for the stupid question - this is the second day I have the GR III.
I do not understand "Fn Button Setting":

1) Inside "Fn Button Setting" one can find "Focus Settings". The first option there is "Same as Shutter Button". How it can be different with Shutter Button? Can I use another button (different from Shutter Button) to focus?

EDIT: It was enough to look at the user guide, p. 58.

2) Are there some tips how to better handle this little camera? I mean like to press UP + the front roller for a fast change of the snap focus distance?

Last edited by cport; 10-09-2020 at 05:01 AM.
10-09-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have snap distance set to a custom button (right), the up+scroll wheel doesn't feel comfortable for me. And I have the fn button set to do autofocus, similar to back button focus. Or in other modes, to toggle between snap and autofocus.

Random handling tip: see if you like pressing the shutter button with your thumb and holding the camera between your fingers and the palm, I often find it more comfortable if I don't need to also change settings on the back.
10-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
JPT
Pentaxian

Here's one tip that took me a while to find, but I now use all the time. Sometimes you just want to switch the camera on to review photos or transfer to a smartphone. You can do this from power off without extending the lens by holding the play button for a second. If you hold it for a second longer, it will switch on the wifi as well. From there you can extend the lens and leave the menus by tapping the shutter release or switch the camera off again with the power button.

By the way, I'm kind of shocked there are still only two reviews of the GR III in the PF database. I wonder if people know they can review Ricoh cameras here.
10-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I wonder if people know they can review Ricoh cameras here.
Good point I've added my review, for some reason I've never thought about it despite having reviewed Pentax lenses here.

10-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster

aaacb: good point with the thumb! I will try this ...

JPT: Perfect tip how to turn on wifi ... thanks!

People likely do not know about the reviews. I was surprised that even on Dpreview site there are many "missing" reviews of Pentax (Ricoh) equipment.
10-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
JPT
Pentaxian

Great to see a couple more reviews added since yesterday. I've edited to add some sample photos of my own.

I mainly take pictures when I'm travelling, but unfortunately I haven't had much chance recently because of you know what.
12-23-2020, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #7

Gifting my wife with a GRIII in two days. Already to forward her information from the forum.