Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

GR III Question: Enforcing Minimum Shutter Speed in Auto ISO

Guys/Gals

OK I give up. Can't make this work no matter what user settings I use.

Trying to set 1/60 SS, Min ISO 100, Max ISO 1600. Pretty basic.

Try to take a picture in a dark room and the shutter speed goes down and down, below 1/60.

If the max ISO is too low to support the SS and aperture the camera should enforce the SS and underexpose. Like my Nikons and my Fujis.

Tried turning off the IBIS and didn't help.

Any ideas? I am stumped.

Thanks

Mark

10-14-2020, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marks1300 Quote
Guys/Gals

Try to take a picture in a dark room and the shutter speed goes down and down, below 1/60.

If the max ISO is too low to support the SS and aperture the camera should enforce the SS and underexpose. Like my Nikons and my Fujis.

Any ideas? I am stumped.

Thanks

Mark
I don't have one, Mark, but the obvious question is, 'You're a photographer, why not flick to M mode and get the exposure you want?'.
10-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any ideas? I am stumped.
I don't have a GR III at hand, but I can ask a few questions that may help forum members craft a suitable solution...
  • What exposure mode are you using, P or Tv?
  • Related to the above, how are you setting the shutter to 1/60s?
  • Do you have exposure compensation set, either manually or with auto-EC?
  • Are you familiar with using "ISO Setting --> Minimum Shutter Speed" to influence auto-ISO behavior?
With any luck, a good solution will present itself.

Steve
10-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
gbl

Are you in Shutter priority (Tv)?

Guys/Gals

Any ideas? I am stumped.

Thanks

Mark

10-14-2020, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #5

My GRIII works just fine with Auto ISO and minimum Shutter speed.

Btw you need to use "Av" mode.
I only set the Min iso (100), max ISO (12800) and min shutter speed (1/60s) in the ISO sensivity setting (Shooting menu, 2nd page).

Btw if there's not enough light and the Max ISO you set is not enough, the device will continue to lower the shutter speed to compensate.
10-14-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Guys/Gals

Any ideas? I am stumped.

Thanks

Mark
This depends in which mode (Tv, Av, etc.) you are ...

In Av - once max ISO is reached, the min shutter speed can be even lowered and the exposure can be preserved ...

In Tv - once max ISO is reached, the min shutter speed is preserved and the exposure can be "underexposed" ...

In M ... it is completely up to you ;-)

It all depends on your setting and needs ;-)
10-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
I was hoping I could stay in auto ISO in Av mode, set my aperture, have the SS enforced, and then use the underexposure as a metric to adjust my ISO up if necessary.

It would seem I will have to give up on this, and use the Tv or manual modes if I really want to enforce the SS.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Mark

10-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I was hoping I could stay in auto ISO in Av mode, set my aperture, have the SS enforced, and then use the underexposure as a metric to adjust my ISO up if necessary.

It would seem I will have to give up on this, and use the Tv or manual modes if I really want to enforce the SS.

Thanks everybody for your help.

Mark
I think you're far better off doing that, Mark - shooting Manual - instead of using modes that have their own algorithms.
10-15-2020, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I think you're far better off doing that, Mark - shooting Manual - instead of using modes that have their own algorithms.
I agree, with the additional note that using a fixed ISO in M mode is probably preferable to figuring out the quirks of what role auto-ISO plays in that mode.

Steve
10-15-2020, 10:26 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree, with the additional note that using a fixed ISO in M mode is probably preferable to figuring out the quirks of what role auto-ISO plays in that mode.

Steve
Sure, and once flash comes into it ... it's simply not worth letting the camera decide the ISO for that.
10-16-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
gbl

I'm a bit puzzled to the Original poster's claim that his Fuji and Nikon cameras do what he wants. Because they don't. They react just like the Ricoh. If one uses Aperture priority with a Fuji and minimum shutter speed and max ISO, the camera will use the ISO as a true maximum, but will override the minimum shutter speed if needed to get the right exposure.
In connection with ISO, the minimum shutter speed is only used in to tell the camera when to switch to the next higher ISO value. It will never underexpose. But that's the case with every camera I have used so far.

So I'm still not sure what the problem really is. The only way a camera reacts the way he describes in his first post is in full manual or Shutter priority.

Last edited by gbl; 10-16-2020 at 08:37 AM.
10-16-2020, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's going on is that you're trying to set the minimum shutter speed for auto-ISO, which only means the camera won't select a lower shutter UNTIL your top ISO limit is reached and exposure can't be obtained at the level that the camera has been told to aim for. Thus, shutter drops. You want M mode, with auto-ISO on, or S mode, same. By the way, ISO 1600 is way too low for shooting in a dark room with a good sensor like the GR III. You can go to 6400 without really pushing quality, 12800 is also quite usable but grainy.

Remember that you can shoot in M with auto-ISO and still bias your EV setting, also, if you're using 1/60 then that tells me you're not worried about subject motion, but rather hand shake - remember you've got very useful IBIS in this camera. You can go lower.