Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I concur with your assessment of the GR III. There's a perception that the GR/GRII lens might be ever so slightly sharper, but I think it may come in fact down to the lower resolution. It wasn't too hard to make the older GR look a bit pixelly and I think that actually contributed to a sharp look. But the GR III files take a touch of sharpening if needed very well. The DR and high-ISO improvements are the best thing about the new camera, along with the usefulness of IBIS. Try out highlight weighted metering if you haven't yet, it's my favorite firmware-type upgrade.

02-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I concur with your assessment of the GR III. There's a perception that the GR/GRII lens might be ever so slightly sharper, but I think it may come in fact down to the lower resolution. It wasn't too hard to make the older GR look a bit pixelly and I think that actually contributed to a sharp look. But the GR III files take a touch of sharpening if needed very well. The DR and high-ISO improvements are the best thing about the new camera, along with the usefulness of IBIS. Try out highlight weighted metering if you haven't yet, it's my favorite firmware-type upgrade.
I will check out the metering mode. At the moment I've been in like-for-like usage.

I didn't say, but I bought the Street Edition for its orange ring:-) It's so unlike me - a person who drives around in a battered old Skoda and who definitely doesn't do bling. However, whether it's the pandemic that's affected me or whatever it was, that ring sold it to me. Odd times, but I think I'm going to really enjoy this camera, with orange or black ring ...
02-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That Street edition does look really nice, the hammered finish is quite cool. I have a green JJC ring for my black model, matches with the power button lamp.