Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #1

Auto sync Ricoh GRIII with PC and Iphone

Hi

Just ordered a new Ricoh GRIII.

I wanted to check if there is a way to ensure pictures on the camera can auto sync with my iPhone or/and PC. I am guessing there is a way to connect GR III to my home WiFi network. I wanted to see if there is some sort of auto backup functionality where I don’t have to fiddle around with connecting my PC to Ricoh GRIII by selecting Ricoh network and then uploading the pics. I feel if I have to do that, then I may as well take out the memory card, put it in my PC and upload the pics.

I wanted something totally hands free. Eg how pictures on my iPhone pop up on my PC via OneDrive.

01-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Marrduk24 - Welcome to the forum!

Here's how it works for me. I use Ricoh Image Sync as normal to download photos from the GR III to an iPhone. It isn't completely hands free because you sometimes have to reestablish the link with the phone. However in the "Smartphone Link" menu item you can select the auto transfer of images and also to continue the transfer after the camera is powered off. It puts them in the Photos library. I have my phone and my Mac set to sync with iCloud. So the images appear on my Mac as well.

Forgive my ignorance, but I think OneDrive is then Windows equivalent of iCloud. Is that right? It strikes me that if you can already get your iPhone images onto your PC by this method, the GR images in the Photos library will sync too.
01-30-2021, 07:00 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Marrduk24 - Welcome to the forum!

Here's how it works for me. I use Ricoh Image Sync as normal to download photos from the GR III to an iPhone. It isn't completely hands free because you sometimes have to reestablish the link with the phone. However in the "Smartphone Link" menu item you can select the auto transfer of images and also to continue the transfer after the camera is powered off. It puts them in the Photos library. I have my phone and my Mac set to sync with iCloud. So the images appear on my Mac as well.

Forgive my ignorance, but I think OneDrive is then Windows equivalent of iCloud. Is that right? It strikes me that if you can already get your iPhone images onto your PC by this method, the GR images in the Photos library will sync too.
That is very helpful. That would work. You are right that OneDrive automatically uploads my phone images to my PC.

Getting the camera tomorrow and will try and get a hang of the menu. I used to have first gen Sony RXI. One of the reasons we ended up using it less was because it was too much of a chore to share the images with family and friends. They say the best camera is the camera that you use. So being able to sync up images with phone and PC is super important.
01-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The absolute fastest and easiest way is to use an SD-card adapter plugin to your phone. iCloud automatically identifies new photos and download is much faster than WiFi and app.

Then in OneDrive app:

tap the Me icon. ...
Tap Settings. ...
Set Camera upload to On.
To include folders such as Screenshots, tap Additional folders and switch on all the folders to be included to your Camera roll.

01-30-2021, 03:28 PM   #5
gbl

I don't want to be overly critical, but if it is too much of a "chore" to take a memory card out of a camera, put it in a computer and copy the photos into a folder - a process that takes maybe 40 seconds and is actually FASTER than any WIFI process - it might be a better idea to use a smartphone to take your photos in the first place. Modern phones deliver photos that are quite decent and their software is designed to do exactly what you want. If you didn't use the RX1, I bet it will be the same with the GRIII. The RX1 would out-perform the IQ of the GRIII actually.
By what you say, I suspect image quality might be secondary to convenience. If ~ 1 minute of transferring images via a card is too much work, would it not even be less likely that you take the time edit your images?

Modern smartphones deliver really nice results and can't be beat for quickly sharing images with friends and family. Again, I'm not trying to be critical, but to give you the best advice possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marrduk24 Quote
That is very helpful. That would work. You are right that OneDrive automatically uploads my phone images to my PC.

Getting the camera tomorrow and will try and get a hang of the menu. I used to have first gen Sony RXI. One of the reasons we ended up using it less was because it was too much of a chore to share the images with family and friends. They say the best camera is the camera that you use. So being able to sync up images with phone and PC is super important.
01-30-2021, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
I don't want to be overly critical, but if it is too much of a "chore" to take a memory card out of a camera, put it in a computer and copy the photos into a folder - a process that takes maybe 40 seconds and is actually FASTER than any WIFI process - it might be a better idea to use a smartphone to take your photos in the first place. Modern phones deliver photos that are quite decent and their software is designed to do exactly what you want. If you didn't use the RX1, I bet it will be the same with the GRIII. The RX1 would out-perform the IQ of the GRIII actually.
By what you say, I suspect image quality might be secondary to convenience. If ~ 1 minute of transferring images via a card is too much work, would it not even be less likely that you take the time edit your images?

Modern smartphones deliver really nice results and can't be beat for quickly sharing images with friends and family. Again, I'm not trying to be critical, but to give you the best advice possible.
Gotta disagree. I use my GR III all the time to transfer files to my Android and send them wherever I want them to go from there. I backup at increasingly rare intervals to the PC, or might need some more PP on a certain RAW file, but.. there's a lot to be said for not needing to take the time to sync a whole card's worth of photos.

I would think you could just set your Image Sync folder to automatically back up to your OneDrive.
10-31-2021, 04:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marrduk24 Quote
You are right that OneDrive automatically uploads my phone images to my PC.
Does it work for you?