Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2021, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #1

Infrared with an unmodified GR3

Hi all,

I noticed that the (unmodified) GR3 has a rather weak infrared filter. When I put on a R720 filter, I can see the light of my remote control which indicated the weak IR filter.
I did some tests and found that the shutter speeds are acceptable thanks to the image stabilizer of the GR3. During the day, I get about 1/40 with ISO1600 at 2.8.

Has anybody else on here experience with IR photography with an unmodified GR3? I would love to exchange some experiences, white balance or development techniques.

Thanks!
Herb

06-30-2021, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Has anybody else on here experience with IR photography with an unmodified GR3? I would love to exchange some experiences, white balance or development techniques.

Thanks!
Herb
I don't have a GR3, but do IR photography occasionally with my K-3.
The problems I have encountered with white balance in LR (I still use version 5.7, if you have the subscription this might has changed) is, that the range of the slider for WB is too limited for IR. The workaround for that is creating a profile in the DNG_Profile_Editor and loading it into LR, then you have all the options you need in LR.
Switching color channels (doable in PS, Gimp, PaintShopPro,...) can also create interesting effects with IR images.
06-30-2021, 02:13 AM   #3
gbl

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I don't have a GR3, but do IR photography occasionally with my K-3.
The problems I have encountered with white balance in LR (I still use version 5.7, if you have the subscription this might has changed) is, that the range of the slider for WB is too limited for IR. The workaround for that is creating a profile in the DNG_Profile_Editor and loading it into LR, then you have all the options you need in LR.
Switching color channels (doable in PS, Gimp, PaintShopPro,...) can also create interesting effects with IR images.
Thanks! I'm using LR 5.7 as well. Do you think it would be possible to attempt a custom WB in the camera with a grey card while the filter is on? Or is the DNG editor (Didn't know about it, thanks for the tip!) the only solution?
06-30-2021, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbl Quote
Thanks! I'm using LR 5.7 as well. Do you think it would be possible to attempt a custom WB in the camera with a grey card while the filter is on? Or is the DNG editor (Didn't know about it, thanks for the tip!) the only solution?
A custom WB in camera will work, but if you forget to do it or want to change WB afterwards it's nice to have more options in LR. You just have to create the profile once and it will work for all the other IR pictures as well.

06-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The ideal way to set white balance is in camera with grass in direct sunlight, though some cameras have a hard time doing that (my 645z won't set one, at least at 830nm... need to try other filters.) You can always tweak it in post.
06-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing this observation. I've always avoided the topic of IR because I believed it required modifying the camera... but I'd be ok with very long exposure times, maybe I should give this a shot if all that's needed is a filter.
06-30-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Thanks for sharing this observation. I've always avoided the topic of IR because I believed it required modifying the camera... but I'd be ok with very long exposure times, maybe I should give this a shot if all that's needed is a filter.
To me, it's worth having a modified camera and they're not that expensive. There is a modded K-01 on marketplace for $350 (about what it would cost to have one converted. Great if you have a spare camera body laying around you're not using.) But if you don't mind long exposures and some guesswork, a standard camera with IR filters works.

Here's the full spectrum K-01 (no affiliation)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/427323-sa...um-k-01-a.html

Last edited by cdd29; 06-30-2021 at 01:27 PM.
07-14-2021, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Whereas the GR III can capture IR images using a R72 filter, there is one issue with the GR III. Its otherwise excellent 18mm lens is prone to infrared hotspots a bit too much for my taste. I had my "old" K-3 II converted to full spectrum by Kolari Vision and have since found out that older coatings are less sensitive to these internal reflections of infrared light. I'm mostly using an old M28/2.8 lens on that modded camera now. The hotspots can be fixed, but I'ld rather not have to...

For setting WB in LR, a custom DNG profile is best indeed. However, I read somewhere that Adobe would stop providing the DNG profile editor, so better download it quickly.

BTW, Rob Shea has a few great videos on YouTube on the subject, also how to include colour LUTs in the profiles, which is a great time saver.